PDA

View Full Version : Trip wide off Mooloolaba

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 10:05 AM
I was keen to get offshore again and asked Timfishin4fun (Timbo) if he wanted to join me. The plan was to head wide, wider than before, and to have an enjoyable day on the water. Left my place about 3am, on the water by 5am and headed out to our (my new ;)) mark. We stopped off to grab some livies halfway out but they were few and far between. After a while of searching we jigged up some pillies and headed off again. Tim showed me how to get the best from my sounder when fishing the deep (thanks Tim) and then we found the fish. A couple of drifts over the area to find the pattern, a very lucky N/S drift, then we deployed the baits. Tim was slammed on the drop, but lost the fish due to ....well something......so we turned around and tried again. Next drift, Tim was slammed again....and lost another one....:-? :-? , same as first hookup - lets blame the tackle as it couldn't be anything else. Turned around again and the first double hookup for the trip resulted in 2 healthy Snapper, well by the look of my snap - something didn't look quite right...;D

Another couple of drifts for another DH of snapps and then it was time to search for a new species. A tuskie found it's way to the boat - fought like a wet paper bag - and some smaller squire. The drift had changed to SW/NE, so our drifts were shorter than before.
A couple of reminders before the next trip - MUST recharge the Gopro and battery for the camera....The second hookup of the day was recorded for a total of 6 seconds...:'(, then it was a reality - no more filming. Such a shame as it was a cracker of a day with more laughs and the odd sledge making for a memorable trip. A couple of firsts for me - first trip landing me a snapper this year and first trip with 2 cameras onboard WITH flat batteries. As Tim had his camera along for the ride, he can add the other photos when he can. Thanks Tim for a great day on the water. Oh.....and thanks Marty.....for letting us know what is in the water NEAR your mark. ;):P

Cheers,
Wags

Tangles
15-07-2011, 10:40 AM
Nice stuff Wags, so what was with the tackle?

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Nice stuff Wags, so what was with the tackle?

In my opinion only, I'd say sh!thouse hooks. Both hookups were solid but lost on way up.

PinHead
15-07-2011, 11:24 AM
well done wags..looks like a top day

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 01:41 PM
It was Greg. Everyday on the water is a good day.

thelump
15-07-2011, 02:15 PM
That snapper looks like a Parrot (not the fish type) or is it just me:-? Did it taste like chicken;D Well done Wags nice fish.

Captain Seaweed
15-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Nice work Wags, I am hoping to get there soon again. Great to see they are still there.

Marty

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 02:47 PM
Nice work Wags, I am hoping to get there soon again. Great to see they are still there.

Marty

Mate these fishies weren't at your mark.;).....they were at MY mark....;D;D;D

tropicrows
15-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Good to see you catch a fish at last, I was beginning to think you should take up knitting...;D;D

So you went out wide to THAT mark hey......;);)

jtpython
15-07-2011, 03:22 PM
No matter how i keep looking at the pic i can t tell which has the uglist head. Very tough decison . Oh and it must of had the blind uglys to get caught by u ..................... well least you proved you can catch one fish mate :P
JT

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 03:59 PM
No matter how i keep looking at the pic i can t tell which has the uglist head. Very tough decison . Oh and it must of had the blind uglys to get caught by u ..................... well least you proved you can catch one fish mate :P
JT
I caught 3 fish old mate....

MEGA'bite
15-07-2011, 04:02 PM
good one JT, good onya Mike

jtpython
15-07-2011, 04:32 PM
3 FISH come on you should have just kept it at the one so everyone would believe you
:P

indy
15-07-2011, 04:50 PM
good one wags that jt is hard on you we all no that you are a special fisherman lol

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 05:42 PM
good one wags that jt is hard on you we all no that you are a special fisherman lol

Are calling me special Pete?? JT will get it when I ask him for trout and red fillets for an esky rather than $$$...;D;D;D

jtpython
15-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I can't help myself................ And Wags looks like that belly isn't getting any smaller
JT
Can t be too much longer to D day
And buddy i have that Moke ready i mean Trout and Catfish ahhhhhh Red Emporer for you;D U Wouldn't know

TREVELLY
15-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Bad luck about the fish lost guys - what hooks were they that let go?

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 07:00 PM
Bad luck about the fish lost guys - what hooks were they that let go?

I'll let Timbo answer that one Trev as the hooks were in his tacklebox. As far as I know.....they were red ones.

TREVELLY
15-07-2011, 07:21 PM
No worries Wags.

I did some tests last weekend on some red DFS hooks along with green wave, mustard and gamakatsu (all 6/0) - I was surprised with the DFS and green wave.

I will post tests tomorrow when I sort the pics.

rosco1974
15-07-2011, 07:55 PM
not a bad fish there wags.well done mate,you must be one hell of a deckie if all these blokes take you for a fish and you dont get a chance to catch a fish,must be 1 hell of a beer wench .lol
cheers rosco

wags on the water
15-07-2011, 09:57 PM
Clarification re - cr@p hooks
The lost fish were due to poor fishing technique on Timbo's behalf. There was a lot of Shane Warne sledging techniques going on as you do when someone can't get the fish to the boat. Tim and I enjoyed a day fishing with a sh!t load of laughs. I lost a couple of fish too and I'm still going to blame Tims hooks because that was the kind of day we had.

Angla
15-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Makes the fishing great when you get a good sledge in too. Nice parroty snapper

Cheers
Chris

murf
16-07-2011, 12:31 AM
mate you finally catch a fish and it is one hell of a deformed one at that :P you just can't win a trick :-*

good to see you had a great day and got a start before lunch time haha

cheers Murf

wags on the water
16-07-2011, 12:46 AM
1st Snapper for the year too. Geez I wish I could get a better roster or even a company car so I could leave the tow car at home and fly to work. ::)::)

Captain Seaweed
16-07-2011, 06:30 AM
wags I can always lend you a tow vehicle, no problem just ask.

Scalem
16-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Sounds like blaming bad hooks is the way to go, even if you are not using them;D

Ugly beak on it too, and the fish probably still tastes OK;D

Scalem

death_ship
16-07-2011, 08:29 AM
no wonder your hooks stayed in with an overbite like that.

indy
16-07-2011, 08:41 AM
Are calling me special Pete?? JT will get it when I ask him for trout and red fillets for an esky rather than $$$...;D;D;D

Your special to me wags ha ha

tenzing
16-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Good on you Wags.
Thanks for the reprot.
The Go Pro is a good bit of kit isnt it?
I generally ask the kids to charge it as I head for the bed the night before, so it is obviously never ever charged either
Cheers
Brendan

wags on the water
16-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Good on you Wags.
Thanks for the reprot.
The Go Pro is a good bit of kit isnt it?
I generally ask the kids to charge it as I head for the bed the night before, so it is obviously never ever charged either
Cheers
Brendan

Brendan, the only sour note with it is when it's in the waterproof case you basically have to yell to get a good recording. I'll try the open back next time and see how that goes. I was undecided bewtween the Gopro and the HD Contour and finally went with the Gopro because of the price and availability (free delivery).

Cheers,
Wags

Timfishin4fun
18-07-2011, 08:15 AM
So thanks again for a top day out, but look what happens when ya go away for a little, bagging my hooks and my technique.

There is no mention of the 2 snaps you dropped half way up and what about the last drop of the day that was dropped right near the surface.

Atleast I was quick enough on the day to blame my faulty hooks. LOL

I must admit though that new mark of yours (ours) near Marty's is tops.

Timbo

wags on the water
18-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Timbo......I did mention the fish I dropped --> it was your fault!!;D;D I'm hoping for a better result on our next trip out.

Cheers,
Wags