PDA

View Full Version : Cape Cobia

nezevic99
14-07-2011, 02:20 PM
It’s been a while since we dusted the cobwebs off the big boat and had a blast across the bay to Moreton. An early start on yesterday’s wintry morning saw us round the cape in the half light of dawn and first lines in the water as the sun was peeking over the horizon at Deep Tempest. The Nor-wester was a little stronger than we expected and coupled with the current had us drifting at 2kts south. A bit too quick to comfortably fish in 85m of water. After persevering for several drifts and only adding a lone pigfish to the bin we decided to head in close to Shallow Tempest and see if we could scratch together a feed in the shallows.

Lines deployed and drifting along, I rustled up a few whiptail and we proceeded to send them back with earrings. Dad’s started to bump then he’s on with a nice grassy of 50cm gracing the ice. He followed up shortly after with a similar sized snapper also on a livie. I laid a slightly smaller snapper in the ice on a squid tentacle. Then all went quiet. A short brunch break and a decision was made to shift again, we headed closer to the cape but still on the same grounds. Pulled up in around 28m of water and lowered my livie to the bottom, flicked a plastic out to start its decent and began feeding a paternoster to the bottom. The paternoster never made it. The livie rod buckled over and started to groan line.

The fish made a short run on the bottom then the line angled straight up to the surface. The dorsal and tail broke the surface with a splash and confirmed my suspicions. “Dad, we’re on a bloody good cobia”. Meanwhile, Dad is frantically trying to clear the gear we’ve just sent down. Within minutes the fish was beside the boat and I was calling for the gaff. Dad slipped it in and we rolled the fish over the gunnels onto the floor. You Beauty! My first cobia, and at 19kg and 139cm a good fish at that. We had enough fish now so called it a day and ran home over a glassy bay.

I’m a little perplexed as I’d heard that they are a rugged fighting fish. However it was more like leading a large dog. A fair bit of weight and the odd head shake but no real struggle. 30lb braid and TLD25 I don’t see as being world beater sort of tackle but I thought it would have given a better account of itself. However, when filleting it, two vertebrae close to the tail were diseased and enlarged. I wonder if it had arthritis and this was the cause of the poor fight.

5 whole small spanner crabs (about the size of a small avocado), 2 octopus and a whole 3 spot crab in its guts on cleaning.

Camhawk88
14-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Nice fish mate. Yeah any Cobia I have caught have always gone hard (and I am yet to get one in that size bracket), particularly at the gaff. Sounds like the one you had must have had some issues- the stuffed tail would probably be the reason I would guess. A 19kg cobia on 30lb in 28m should take 20-30 minutes typically.

thelump
14-07-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeah mate they are stubborn buggers normally. My last one was nearly 24kg and caught on 30lb mono and tld20 took the best part of half an hour i would guess. Any way ya get em is a good way. They taste good. Well done.;)

Smithy
15-07-2011, 06:18 AM
Yep they can be sooks, especially around spawning time in the bay (Aug/Sep). Remember one afternoon with Captain Incredible before we were both chartering and we got a 39, 31 and 26kg ones and they didn't do much at all then you can get 12kg ones that are real stubborn. Early in the fight you can get some come to the boat to check out what all the commotion is about then they power off and slug it out the rest of the fight. Every fight it different. Wait till you get your next one!

Angla
15-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I have had 10 kilo ones going berserk at the side of the boat after 10 minutes as well as the one that went text book fight. That fish should taste great considering it's diet.

Cheers
Chris

nezevic99
15-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Yeah I was kind of expecting to have to slug it out, but it never really happened. Dad’s got a couple of small ones in the same area and really had to slug it out previously. It was definitely a welcome addition to the fish box though. They are very tasty on the tooth. My father in law loves fish heads, his face lit up like Christmas when I brought it in… only problem is he hasn’t got a big enough pot to fit it in!

Long Shot
15-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Spot on Smithy. Some of them are sooks but they don't seem to taste any different ;-)

reel scream
15-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I find the harder you give it to them the harder they give it back. If we have a double or triple hookup and need to put a rod in the holder to gaff another, a lot of the time the fish on the rod in the holder will just laze about down deep until you pick up the rod and get stuck into it.
Well done on your first. Not a bad fish to start the account.

Cheers
Scott

tenzing
16-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Looks like you might have got this one gifted to you. A great report to read and fine photo with a size fish .
Well done.
Cheers
Brendan

Fishbait
16-07-2011, 08:05 PM
Nice going.