PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Esky Repair

Willdoe
14-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Bought a small blue plastic esky (type filled with refrigeration foam) second hand off Ebay. After a couple of uses the lid hinges broke the plastic weld and have come off. They were not pop riveted on like the hinges on my 80 litre version.
Am planning to rivet and glue them back on but am concerned the rivets may expand the holes before breaking the nail.
Anyone got past experience on reattaching hinges or recommendations on glue to use.
Thanks
Willdoe

whiteman
14-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I've had to rehinge a few times cause of original rusty screws (and have 3 eskies of this type). I have used rivets in all cases but sometimes had to move the hinge cause the holes were shot (and I filled with silicon). Never used glue.

Willdoe
15-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Thanks Whiteman
Am just unsure how thick the plastic is and its holding capicity for rivets or screws.
Willdoe

whiteman
18-07-2011, 04:43 PM
The plastic is not real thick, a couple of mils I reckon. But plenty for rivets - never had one pull out and my eskies get a workover. Screws, even "stainless" seem to rust in mine.

Noelm
19-07-2011, 09:19 AM
I think you will be lucky to find a glue that will stick to that sort of plastic! they can be plastic welded sort of (like when new) best option is to fix the hinges and make some sort of stopper to prevent the lid from opening too far, that is what usually wrecks the hinges, I just use a bit of cord that will only let the lid open just past vertical so it will stay open on its own, but not "flop" all the way over.

Willdoe
20-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Noelm
I believe opening too far is what caused the problem. Esky had cords on it but I assumed they were the right length and didn't check. Have screwed the hinges back on and adjusted the cord.
I suspect you are right about the glue bit, I tried screwing and gluing fittings on a previous esky with liguid nails but it didn't last long.
Willdoe

Noelm
20-07-2011, 12:50 PM
yeah, Liquid nails will not glue that stuff, any of that 'tupperware" sort of plastic needs special "stuff" or welding, which is only a sort of melt but at last it works.