PDA

View Full Version : Around the Cape last night

marto78
13-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Left Nudgee boat ramp at 2.30 yesterday arvo and made our way around to the shallow reefs the other side of Moreton Island by about 5 wasting a half hr jigging up one slimey at the markers.

We proceeded to drift around a few old marks landing nothing but undersized squire and pearlies. On one of the drifts we found a show on the sounder that can only be described as looking like a shipping container in about 20-25m of water. The first drift across this we nailed a 40cm pearly and my mate got what we both thought was a snag at first until it started peeling loads of line.

The decision was made to up para anchor and give chase but by the time this happened it had already snapped the 40pound leader and disappeared. After quickly rerigging with 60 pound leader and lining up for another drift my mate was on again, but after a 5min fight the 2 year old 50pound braid gave way above the double.

After a few choice words and a live fibre rod nearly being thrown in the drink it was time to pull out the big guns ie. the Trinidad TN80 loaded with brand new 80p tuffline and upgraded drag washers.

About two minutes into the next drift old mate is onto the unstoppable again while I have landed another rubbish fish. By the time I have ripped in the anchor and started the motor this thing has peeled off 2-300m of line and isnt slowing down. We had chased this thing for about 40min (with my mate having a spew over the side at about the 30min mark lol) when we finally caught upto it and were ever so slowly lifting it to the surface when the bloody hooks pulled. F@#k!

The original plan last night was to be home by 9 or 10 but after this effort from this monster of the deep we couldn't resist having another go at it. We had another 5 drifts over this mark with everyone resulting in a hookup on the big rod (and funnily enough nothing but pickers on the other 30pound Tyrnos8 setup) a 100-200m initial run and a 15min to half hr chase before pulling the hooks always ending up in about the same place we hooked it.

Our thoughts were monster cobe but who knows unitl we get a chance to get back out there again. We pulled the pin about 11pm and had a good trip home until about 4.5km from the boat ramp when the motor went into limp mode (someone forgot to top up the oil doh). This was the longest and coldest 4.5km of my life starting at about 12.30am and with the motor only able to hit 1000rpm it saw us landing on the boat ramp at 2.15am and heading home for a hot shower and a bit of shut eye.

Thanks for reading.

Marto
:D

Angla
13-07-2011, 04:54 PM
That's given you a challenge all right. All I can say is better hooks and 100lb leader, and make the leader like 2 metres.
Give it your best shot then, and I hope it is a big Cobe with your jewellery still in it's gob

Cheers
Chris

TREVELLY
13-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Certainly sounds like a good mark to keep to yourself and return too.

Better luck and bigger guns next time

No Fear
13-07-2011, 08:40 PM
Sounds like an interesting trip.....I'd be taking the scuba gear to that spot next, you might pick yourself up a new Nissan Skyline or an imported new outboard.....
Get the big rigs out next time and hopefully you can land yourself a fish...be interesting to know what they were...good stuff

Jigsrule
13-07-2011, 10:40 PM
Another idea is to give circle hooks a go. Try the owner heavy duty circles in 8/0-12/0. When hooked, fish apparently stay hooked.

Spot82
13-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I'd be keen to jump over the side with a tank of air when its a bit warmer marto, sounds like something interesting to explore!

Getting busted up is good fun, but it would always be good to know what it was!! Thats what keeps us going back I guess!!

Anthony

vertico
14-07-2011, 06:28 AM
to peel that much line and that fast you would have to say shark wouldnt yah ?

marto78
14-07-2011, 07:16 AM
Sounds like an interesting trip.....I'd be taking the scuba gear to that spot next, you might pick yourself up a new Nissan Skyline or an imported new outboard.....
Get the big rigs out next time and hopefully you can land yourself a fish...be interesting to know what they were...good stuff

Knowing my luck it would be one of those containers of fertiliser that fell of that ship a while back. That might explain why the fish are so big lol.

marto78
14-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Another idea is to give circle hooks a go. Try the owner heavy duty circles in 8/0-12/0. When hooked, fish apparently stay hooked.

Will be giving the circles a go next time round thats for sure. I don't know why I didn't use them the other day as I had a pack of 10/0 VMC circles sitting in top of the tackle box.

marto78
14-07-2011, 07:30 AM
to peel that much line and that fast you would have to say shark wouldnt yah ?

Thats what we originally thought but we never had the leader bitten off or any signs of fraying on it like a shark, in 5 hookups in a row the leader still looked like new. The other strange thing was it kept coming back to the same mark it was hooked on and spitting the hooks in the end.

It could have even been a big cod but we will never know unitl we get it to the boat hey.

Long Shot
14-07-2011, 08:34 AM
Even big cod and cobe frey leaders. Very interesting.