PDA

View Full Version : 15hp 4 stroke for car topper?

don-one
13-07-2011, 04:51 AM
Has anyone converted from using the traditional 15hp 2stk to power there bush tinny/punts/car toppers to a 4stk?
I’m interested in the Suzuki 4stk as it’s the lightest by a mile. At 44kg its only 8kg heavier than the Yamaha 2stk.
I’m imagining that it would have to advantages in carrying less fuel to remote locations, as well as better idling performance.
They seem to have made them portable with a dedicated side to lay them down or drain the oil before you leave and refill it when you get there.
Thoughts?

Noelm
13-07-2011, 09:48 AM
a mate of mine has a Suzuki 15 and he loves it, and they do have a side to lay them on, he has carted his all over the place and it has been a good motor (so far anyway) for a motor that is being lifted on and off, weight is your biggest concern (obviously) so look at all the specs for all the motors available, and go for the lightest you can find, regardless of brand.

finga
13-07-2011, 10:39 AM
If possible I'd be looking at 4 stroke and I'd be looking into carting the motor vertically no matter what it was.

My Honda can be layed down on one side and it seems a new 15hp Honda weighs about 50kgs or so.
It'll be a bit heavier then most as it's electric start....but well worth it to me.
What weight difference between the brands is there?
I also know I'd be going around and picking up each of the outboards as weight is not the only consideration.
One brand may have a more comfortable lifting grabs or centre of gravity or some other reason for making the lifting a lot more comfortable on yourself.

Jarrah Jack
13-07-2011, 10:47 AM
That sounds good to me Don. If I was draining the oil I'd be putting some tape or other reminder around the starter to remind me never to forget the oil.

Noelm
13-07-2011, 10:56 AM
no need to drain the oil, if you lay them on the correct side, no oil will drip out or get into the parts of the motor it shouldn't, Finga has a good point too, even though a certain brand maybe 5KG lighter, if the carry handles are crap, or the balance is bad, then it will be sh!t to cart around.

cormorant
13-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Difference between 20 and 30 kg is huge

One is manageable on a slippery bank and the other is a disaster but then you will save fuel. Think about your lifting methods at above 20kg from your vehicle as at the end of the day when you go to pack up it will make a difference. Some of the cowls are huge and make storage and lifting harder.

Controls on the newer motors are in some cases brilliant and in other - "what were they thinking"

Not sure on resale

Not 100% on fuel - just depends on how much you use it.

The 4stt are still too expensive

At 15hp if you are running a leccy , sounder you also have a battery so make sure it has decent charging capacity to keep battery charged.

I've stuck with a smaller 2 stroke ( it works hard) on a lighter boat and don't overload it. Speed is Ok but lightness is the key. Rarely do I want a bigger boat unless I wan't more people with me - Nah - I'm there 2 up or for the solitude.

don-one
14-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks Finga, I have looked at all the 4 strokes and they are all 50kg+ even in the manual start. the suzuki is the exception weighing in at 44kg.

Great tip on going and handling the motor, I would possibly not of thought to do that but will now.

don-one
14-07-2011, 11:25 AM
cheers Jarrah, i thought the same thing when someone else told me thats what they were doing.

Noelm, I have been told that even though they have a dedicated side to lay them on they can still leak oil whilst travelling due to hills/corregations/uneven roads etc. The usual capacity is about 1lt and it is easy to remove but like jarrah mentions you just have to be careful and make sure it goes back in before running. I suppose its not much different to remembering to add oil to the fuel in a 2 stk!

Spaniard_King
15-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Don,

The Honda 15-20 is only 46.5kg and like the suzi you wont have any issues lying them down on the correct side with oil left in the engine even if you do come across hilly or rough terrain ::)

cormorant
15-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Are the weights wet weights with oils and props that these guys put in the brochures? I've seen dud weights before in brochures. Once it gets above 30-35kg it is a serious lift for a portable. A few trollys about and other tricks.

Merc 2 stroke 35kg
Yami 2 stroke 36kg

At those sort of weights if you are trailering it must put a fair bit of strain on the transom over time. I know it is balanced but I wonder how well the pivots last? Guess they are well engineered.

I left out that 4 strokes are smoother at idle quieter normaly and most are quieter at midrange revs than a 2 stroke.

Spaniard_King
15-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Yeh that is dry weight for the Honda 15-20 Operating weight is 47.9'kg

don-one
16-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Don,

The Honda 15-20 is only 46.5kg and like the suzi you wont have any issues lying them down on the correct side with oil left in the engine even if you do come across hilly or rough terrain ::)

Thanks Garry i stand corrected. what is the honda like to pickup/move around/carry down a bank? ie, has it got well placed carry handles etc?
with a wet weight of 48kgs it is quite a big heavier than the 2 strokes.
after a lot of investigating i still seem to think that the yamaha 2 stroke continues to tick all the boxes for what i am doing with it.