PDA

View Full Version : in close off caloundra,

brenno360
12-07-2011, 08:56 PM
hi everyone,

we went out first light this morning over the caloundra bar, shot out to a close in spot, there was alot of chop blown up from the southwest, at first there wasnt much goin on and next to nothing on the sounder, kept drifting around and i guess it took about 20 mins to land our first keeper, we caught all the in the first 2 hours after the sun came up and nothing after about 7:30 just little peckers n just under squire, in the end we got 5 nice pan sized squire, a decent venus tuskfish, a parrot and a pretty big leather jacket,
through out the morning the only big fish that hit managed to pull the hook, :(

hopefully better luck next time,

cheers brenno

supa29
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
mate u did ok better than the rest of us who didnt get ou tof bed well done mate.

you will have points by weekend
kel.....

brenno360
12-07-2011, 09:50 PM
hey kel, yer it was all my brother and my dad i only got one haha, n it was the first keeper, not to much action for me after that, except a few tangles with braid :(

brenden,

Wax_head
13-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Hey I was out there last Friday and it was same, lots of small snapper just under legal.

Had a look at the caloundra bar yesterday lunch time at low tide and it is starting to look a bit dicey!

The tides at the moment are pretty big outs.

Keep trying, I am!!!!!!!!!!

Tight lines Bicko

brenno360
13-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Had a look at the caloundra bar yesterday lunch time at low tide and it is starting to look a bit dicey!

hey mate, yer the bar is getting really sketchy, when we went out there was only 1.8m under the boat at dead on high,
as we came back in half hour before the low, i couldnt see a good path through, there was no real deeper water, after about 3 loops of trying to find the best spot i followed my gps line back in, it got so shallow my depth sounder stoped reading and if i had to guess i would say i wouldnt have had more than 2ft of water under the boat if that...

brenden

supa29
13-07-2011, 08:47 PM
you guys need to really stay away from caloundra bar it is deadly i have seen heaps of flips and near misses on that bar. head up to mooloolaba and run back down the coast it is worth the safety factor. there is plenty of reef all the way down the coast line.

the sunny coast close reefs fish different to alot of places over the yrs i have found they fish better on new moon or in the first and last quarters, the fish will lay off the bite and then start as the moon comes over the horizon in the early night. most close reefs fish way better in the late arvo and early evening. mornings can be productive especially in summers with floaters for mackeral. try an arvo run to twelve mile and leave around 7 30 for home. after that you will get sharks and big big cod so head home but it will increase your catch by heaps i would suggest.

kel......

charlie09
14-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey thanks for the tips Kel

Cheers
Vince