PDA

View Full Version : Keeping warm whilst going fishing??

bigdonk
12-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Sneaky Methods for keeping warm, Lets hear them :P OMG its cold hammering out to sea in the CC..lol:D Is there a good Jacket thats warm and keeps toy dry for under $100...?? I've been wearing my Ugg boots out to sea lately ;D I just don't care if they get wrecked..

cheers BD

four_button_arnie
12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Sneaky;) methods for keeping warm:love: naaa my fiance gets sea sick!

Multiple layers is always a winner, as long as you have a waterproof shell (gortex etc) just layer up underneath, oh and try those instant hot chocolate/coffee in a can from the servo

oh i forgot to add, just move further North!;D

Josh

bennykenny
12-07-2011, 06:58 AM
fishing many cold nights on the brisbane river i have discovered the best thing has been the old flano shirt,under my ski jacket always keeps the warmth in well, also have something around your neck, i use a Headsox, or you could use a scarf, you will be surprised what a difference it makes.

nigelr
12-07-2011, 07:21 AM
Nothing like a good pair of waders, if you are dry you are warm. Balaclava works great too.
Don't wear mine in the boat though, bad enough getting knocked over in the surf while wearing them! Onboard I just run to a woolen jumper, windproof jacket and balaclava/beanie, windproof pants, warm socks and crocs! A pair of woolen gloves is also a luxury at those times when you can keep then dry!

STUIE63
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
I always work on the theory of you have to keep your ears and feet warm and it is nowhere near as cold

Steve B
12-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Agree with Stuie,..head, neck ears and feet. If they are warm the rest seems to feel OK. Good set of thermal underwear, flanny and good water/windproof jacket and pants.

One big thing....Its easier to STAY warm than to GET warm...rug up before you start feeling cold.

Cheers Steve

gunna
12-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Very Simple. D##### thermal underwear. Longjohns and long sleeved singlet. Rated to minus heaps. Been wearing them for fishing and shooting in winter for years. Superb stuff.

NAGG
12-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Layers ....... (bottom) thermals , fleece pants , windproof pants (gortex) ..... Top Thermals , flanno shirt , polar fleece vest , Waterproof / wind proof jacket - Shoes & socks and for the head a buff with a beenie .
Then as the day warms you can take off a layer

Chris

cormorant
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
I think the $100 budget may be blown somewhat!!! Definately buy decent quality breathable once and stay comfortable and less fatigued. For years I bought cheap stuff and suffered in smaller boats and in hindsight wish I had woken up earlier to quality gear- bit of a investment Prices have come down a huge amount.

Buy a cabin!!!!!

Coldfeet does me in . I wear warm wicking socks in seaboots so they stay dry and breathable sailing jacket that I can layer no matter how warm or cold but I have a cabin so don't bother with sailing pants.

The more clothing you wear and the colder weather it is a definate to always have a auto inflatable on over the top or buy a stormy jacket.

We dragged a bloke out of the water last Saturday who had slipped between boat and pontoon wharf . Missed his footing and was lucky not to smack his head. Only 30yo and he struggled to get himself out and it took 2 of us to grab him tearing his clothes as we did as we didn't think he was going to come up again. 80kg bloke with I reckon 80kg of water in jacket , fleecy and pants. 2 minutes in the water and he was knackered from the fear and surprise. In reality he only had to swim , float 40 feet and he could have walked out in mud but he didn't even think and that is with Sydney warm water. Bit of a wake up call for us as we were wearing similar.

charleville
12-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Just make sure that you are continually catching fish. You won't feel the cold! ;D;D;D

BGG
12-07-2011, 12:14 PM
$100 worth of Bundy and you'll forget the cold!

Camhawk88
12-07-2011, 12:49 PM
YEp bottle of Port or Drambui- warm from the inside out not outside in.
Also acts as a boyancy device once empty!

cormorant
12-07-2011, 02:13 PM
YEp bottle of Port or Drambui- warm from the inside out not outside in.
Also acts as a boyancy device once empty!

I like the theory

I can further suggest baked beans and roast onion - the old internal PDF1 but you need a tight ( x ) :o

Lot of beans for a $100;D

wayno60
12-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Ive got evrything sorted bar my feet.. Hate cold feet, last night the ends of my toes were numb.and thats with two pairs of socks and runners...Cormorant, what are the wicking socks??? and what kind of sea boots are we talking?? I was thinking trying my ugg boots but once their wet they stay wet...just thinking what about that paint on water proofing you can get for canvas......mmmmmmm off to the shed!!!

Lucky_Phill
12-07-2011, 02:48 PM
GGW.

( Green Ginger Wine ).

It really is that simple.

LP..

cormorant
12-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Wicking socks are like the wicking layer you wear under breathable jackets. It is pollypropelene like a fleecy and they "wick" the moisures of sweaty feet away from your feet. Camping , walking shops will all have em in different quality. Mine are us millitary supply and will be probably cheap at disposal store on the internet or eprey. 2 types a shell wicking layer or a full sock like a coolmax etc. No doubt there will be some special technical name for em.

The seaboots are just a calf high "burke" plastic sort of boot like you see em wear at the fish markets only they have a razor cut sole and a "gaitor" that stops water runnng down your leg. The industrial or fish market supplier would have commercial grade ones that may be cheaper and whitworths have the sort of seaboot style. You can get ankle height ones a swell

For years I wore wet suit style booties but finally the little lady said that if I was keeping them I had to keep em on the boat as they just stunk to high heaven.

jerson
12-07-2011, 05:20 PM
The first thing to put on is a wetsuit vest & boots.
Can't beat it.

Cheech
12-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Chong and I fished the evening last Saturday at Hervey Bay, and it was that cold we had to stop drinking rum and drink red instead!!

Agree, get teh feet and head warm and the rest is usually ok.

2DKnBJ
12-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Gota keep the feet warm or i am firetrucked...
Other than than trackies,flanno,jumper driza bone jacket and pants.
No cold, no wind and waterproof.

Cheers Dazza

bigdonk
12-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Cheers guys there are some good, and funny replies... Looks like some of you may look like the Michellin Man tho..lol Keep em coming!!

cheers BD

PinHead
12-07-2011, 06:48 PM
I got laughed at a few years back by a couple of members on here..for sitting there fishing at night in winter bare footed..they thought I was crazy. Now a pair of uggies goes on..snow pants..on top 2 jumpers and a spray jacket. Hands get numb so you don't worry about them..you can't feel them. It is all part of the fun..and as Phill says..if you are still cold..the nectar of the Gods is the perfect remedy..Mr Stone's magical green ginger wine.

tunaticer
12-07-2011, 06:50 PM
I find less is best mid winter, less bulky layers that is. Thermals right against the skin longs for both top and bottom. Explorer wool socks. Rugby training pants, tough as, waterproof, wind proof and nice and roomy to trap warm air. Tuck the Rugby training pants into the top of your dive boots to keep any water from sloshing inside the trouser legs and to trap that warm air. I use a waterproof/windproof cycling jacket for the top half I bought from a guy in Melbourne off Ebay. Deadset winner that jacket. With just the thermal top under it you remain toasty warm all the time and no water gets through. BTW, I launch the yak through the surf mid winters on mornings around 3 degrees in the predawn hours and do not get cold or wet, so in a boat it is a breeze to stay warm.
Link to the jackets:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CDEAL-CYCLING-BICYCLE-JERSEY-WIND-RAIN-JACKET-XL-/150580929430?pt=AU_Cycling_Clothing&hash=item230f52a396
Last years jackets were hi-vis yellow or red but still the same jacket.

Rugby training pants I scored off Ebay from the UK for $25 delivered, worth around $150 off the shelf anywhere. Regularly see them for sale on Ebay for between 25 and 50.

I used to wear microfibre beanies etc but got sick of the sore scalp from your hair being pushed into abnormal directions for hours on end. Got a Beaver fur hat the Alaskans use........unbelievable. Would not want to get a wet head with it though, be worse than drowned Ugg Boots.

Da-Jew-Man
13-07-2011, 06:15 AM
Agree with all comments.
When its really cold for the beach :
Thermals
Tracksuit
Woollen socks
Singlet
2 shirts
Jacket
Waders
Wetweather Jacket
Beany
Full Balaclava over Beanie(as per Avatar)
Warm as toast.

Ocassionally wet hands as water is usually warm.

Only problem if fish on get hot. Can put up with it though.

Although a couple of years ago a we were on the rocks and it was bitterly cold. Mate was wearing thongs, T shirt and shorts. Made us all feel colder.
He was originally from Vic and had consumed a few "woodies".

BLOOEY
13-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Agree with all comments.
When its really cold for the beach :
Thermals
Tracksuit
Woollen socks
Singlet
2 shirts
Jacket
Waders
Wetweather Jacket
Beany
Full Balaclava over Beanie(as per Avatar)
Warm as toast.

Ocassionally wet hands as water is usually warm.

Only problem if fish on get hot. Can put up with it though.

Although a couple of years ago a we were on the rocks and it was bitterly cold. Mate was wearing thongs, T shirt and shorts. Made us all feel colder.
He was originally from Vic and had consumed a few "woodies".
Prettty much the same for me except recently bought a pair of gloves with the tops of the fingers cut off(brilliant). Does get bloody hot if you hook up to a large fish though! Ben

Oh yeah a very cheap way of keeping your head warm is growing your hair longer in winter so it covers the back of your neck, and growing a beard, $0.

TheGurn
13-07-2011, 09:43 AM
My mate can hardly bend his arms or turn his head when he's rugged up. Funny as.
But I really doubt I could pull him back in if he went over the side. He'd suck up half the ocean.
So the challenge is to keep the bulk down.
I bought some snow gear for a trip to NZ a while back, and it fits the bill nicely for a cold nights fishing in an open tinny.
If it can keep all of your body dry, warm, light and mobile in the snow, cold nights on the water just aren't a challenge.
Waterproof snow boots, thermals, fleecy type jackets, waterproof/windproof coat, wicky type socks etc
Check out the advice available at Anaconda or similar, and then chase prices.
It's surprisingly inexpensive when you consider the benefits and safety.
I even drink cold beer out there and enjoy it. My mate can't get his near his mouth.

Camhawk88
13-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Ive got evrything sorted bar my feet.. Hate cold feet, last night the ends of my toes were numb.and thats with two pairs of socks and runners...Cormorant, what are the wicking socks??? and what kind of sea boots are we talking?? I was thinking trying my ugg boots but once their wet they stay wet...just thinking what about that paint on water proofing you can get for canvas......mmmmmmm off to the shed!!!

Try the old surfy trick- Get a pair of wetsuit booties and have a piss in them- stays warm for hours and if they start to cool a bit you can always top them up. A good tinea cure too I am lead to believe.

cormorant
13-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Icerider jackets
Used by snowmobile riders
Breathable and have insulation and floatation built in in case the ice gives way.

Hope all these rugged up people are wearing a life jacket as you will sink like a stone. Couple of kayakers lost this week as well.

wayno60
13-07-2011, 01:05 PM
A very oldie, but a goodie is to wrap a sheet of news paper around your body, one around upper arms and legs and lower arms and legs.... now that keeps you warm

cormorant
13-07-2011, 01:51 PM
A very oldie, but a goodie is to wrap a sheet of news paper around your body, one around upper arms and legs and lower arms and legs.... now that keeps you warm

Problem is I grew and got bigger and newspapers haven't . Makes you walk like a tin man and ohhhh the chaffe

Just thongh and piss on your feet. Warm feet. no tinea and a excuse to keep drinking. Alcohol will stop it freezing and you getting frozen to the ground;D

Barry Ehsman
13-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Don't seem to have much of a problem with the cold up here in lucinda fishing in short's & singlet...

Cheer's baz

charleville
13-07-2011, 05:21 PM
I fished at Harries last night and still found that I was able to go with bare feet and shorts but with seven layers on top and something to cover my follicle challenged head.

The cheap, soft, polyester modern version of a windcheater is hard to beat in keeping out the cold. Keeping out the breeze is the key, from my perspective.

Of course the open bay in winter will be warmer than sitting alongside mangroves at somewhere like the 'Pin.

wayno60
13-07-2011, 06:29 PM
corm,
ok maybe two sheets for the larger members...

cormorant
13-07-2011, 07:36 PM
corm,
ok maybe two sheets for the larger members...

Ahhh I hadn't though of stuffing my undies as well. 2 sheets from a broadsheet should just about cover it.;D just

Jarrah Jack
13-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Being from Vic we don't really notice the cold here much. If I go inland its a different story. We get snowed in sometimes up in the mountains but never seem to get cold there either. I just wear runners, jeans and T shirt then a few outer layers that usually don't last long.

Its funny if we're trolling for trout all day, in the morning the layers get taken off progressively and form a big mound in the boat. As the sun sinks the inverse happens and the mound disappears.

Its handy to have a dog that you can borrow some warmth from sometimes too.

I pity you blokes in Queensland feeling the cold.

STUIE63
13-07-2011, 08:20 PM
I pity you blokes in Queensland feeling the cold.

I watch the weather every morning and giggle at the temps down south you fellas can have that :( .it was cold here this morning it got down to 17 overnight ::);D
Stuie

charleville
14-07-2011, 08:05 AM
Its handy to have a dog that you can borrow some warmth from sometimes too.

Even better if it is a good looking one. ;D

004dam
14-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Anconda are having a 70% off sale for anyone interested. I got a few warm bargains!.

wayno60
15-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Yep got myself a pair of long johns, and dont they work well...still need to get onto the cold feet department. Will probable go with the snow socks from the big snake...