PDA

View Full Version : Headed North

Jeremy
08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
On hollidays for a couple of weeks at the moment and been waiting for the right weather to head up North to annoy the local trevally population and put some reef fillets in the esky. Weather came good on Monday/Tuesday this week so loaded up the boat and hit the highway at 5.00 am Monday.

We were on the spot by midday and it was on from the first cast. We were both casting metal lures and for the first hour we could not get past the gold spots. I landed my biggest trevally at 91 cm and 8.3 kg and we would have caught around 6 all 80-95 cm.

Decided to anchor up to see if we could find something else and we got stuck into golden trevally. Probably caught around 15 over the next 2-3 hours, none under 4 kg, plus a few more gold spots. My best golden was 6.9 on 3 kg mono. mate also got a queenie 4 kg and a little GT, and I got a little bludger trevally. We had lots of breaks in between fish and tried some different stuff to try to find different species. Nothing on the poppers, but every other lure we used caught trevally. All trevally were released.

Late in the arvo the wind and current changed moving us off the spot, so got a burley trail going and threw a strip bait on and pulled a couple of nice snapper to take home. We were going to fish Tuesday as well, but circumstances changed requiring us to go back home Monday evening. Got back home at 6 am completely stuffed!

Will probably head back in September school hols as I have some other marks I have found/been given which I haven't explored yet, plus another spot I have only fished once. Chance I might consider a tag along next time if I can't get another boat from my club to join me. PM if interested.

The spot I fished in only big enough for maybe 4 boats tops and could be fished out if meat fishoes went and filled eskies, so if you think you know where I was fishing please keep it to yourself or send me a PM.

Jeremy
08-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Still waiting on more photos.

tenzing
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the report.
Sounds like a heap of fun(except for the overnight drive down the highway)
Conditions look awful!!
Cheers
Brendan

bondy99
09-07-2011, 07:50 AM
Jeremy,

Well done mate, would have liked to have experienced what you had. Never caught a big GT and would have loved to keep two or three big ones for me and the old bloke (82).

Send me a pm about costs etc and the next time you head up again, I'll chip in towards fuel if there's a spare seat.

Cheers, bondy

bondy99
13-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Whats your problem Stroadman?