PDA

View Full Version : Whittley Sea Legend low Stern

MEG-A-BITE
08-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Hi all
I have a whittley Sea legend 6.3 with a 4.3 MPI mercruser inboard. It’s a very good ride and very stable platform, but have one concern. The stern is very low to the water, and seem to get water coming over the stern, when drifting in a choppy sea. Now I know there is a lot of weight at the back of the boat, and would like to hear from anyone else if they have the same problem. I have contemplated moving the 2 batteries out from the back. This would remove at least 40kg from the stern. Has anyone done this before?

mal555
08-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Hi all
I have a whittley Sea legend 6.3 with a 4.3 MPI mercruser inboard. It’s a very good ride and very stable platform, but have one concern. The stern is very low to the water, and seem to get water coming over the stern, when drifting in a choppy sea. Now I know there is a lot of weight at the back of the boat, and would like to hear from anyone else if they have the same problem. I have contemplated moving the 2 batteries out from the back. This would remove at least 40kg from the stern. Has anyone done this before?

The boats will be set up to run/trim at their best, those Whittley boys know their stuff. Why not try a decent parachute anchor off the bow to hold the head to weather, a lot more comfortable in a bit of slop anyway.

Lucky 1
08-07-2011, 10:41 PM
MEG-A-BITE, I have the same boat as you, except it has a 150hp outboard, and up until very recently the fuel tank (165L) was also stored more or less under the transom well. This was a big problem, particularly in a choppy sea with the parachute out. Quite a bit of water was coming into the boat. I have now had installed a larger tank (240l) down the centre of the hull. I look forward to going out on Sunday, where in a 10-15 knot westerly I will be able to guage how effective the exercise has been. I will let you know.

Regards

Lucky

mal555
09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
This was a big problem, particularly in a choppy sea with the parachute out. Quite a bit of water was coming into the boat.

Where's it coming in? Transom door? With waves running away from the stern, and water still coming in....sounds like she is way too low. I reckon Neville Whittley needs to hear this problem!

MEG-A-BITE
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi Lucky1 I have my fuel tank under the floor in the centre of the boat, most likely they way you now have yours now. My boat has most of weight at the stern with the engine and both batteries. Who did the job for you as I’m keen on getting my hull foam filled? I would like to chat to someone that knows the build of this boat

robothefisho
09-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I gather the water is flowing over the flat section of transom and in the 2 transom cut outs. Just a bit of splash. Why not put in some removable transom sections. ie that white plastic stuff sliding in some alloy C section.

Lucky 1
10-07-2011, 10:16 PM
MEG-A-BITE, Moving my tank forward and lower feels like it has made an improvement to my ride and stability(early days yet). I am still getting wet out the back but not as often. I have also considered foaming, as I believe if the boat was holed it would sink like a brick. The guy who installed my tank has had some pretty good recommendations on this forum, however my experience with him was less than ideal. I must say however all the issues I had, were remedied ( but I believe they shouldn't have happened in the first place, and hence eroded my confidence in the job). I doubt that the boat builder would have intimate knowledge of Whittleys(besides working on mine), or the facilities to foam properly, but if you send me a PM I would be happy to forward his details to you.