PDA

View Full Version : Ballina Snaps

samsy
07-07-2011, 08:10 AM

We went out on Sunday. We fished from 7.30 till 3.30pm and only caught three fish for the esky in that time. We fished out wide when 3 American warships turned up. I don’t think they liked it when we turned on our radar as shortly after that they launched a Blackhawk helicopter and hovered over us whilst they checked us out. I guess we triggered some sort of defensive system. Once they worked out we were harmless aussie fisherman they kept cruising down the coast. Anyway on our way home we stopped on the 48's and checked out one last spot. The sounder light up and my blood started flowing 100 mile. Over the next hour it was mayham. Plastics and jigs going everywhere. Fish landing on the deck one after the other. We left the fish biting as we wanted to cross the bar before it was too dark otherwise there was a lot more fun to be had. We caught these fish on light tackle, soft plastics and jigs.

Another boat went down on the Ballina Bar and the Brunswick heads bar on Sunday. Please take care.

frankgrimes
07-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Wow! nice haul! Some bloody good size in that lot!

Mick

B-MACK
07-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Love it when it turns on like that, it's what we all go fishing for!! Musta been cool to check out the warships and helicopter, but even better to turn an ordinary day into a cracker with a hot session to end it all off! Nice work Samsy!

ozassassin
07-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Nice going guys, should of pointed your rocket launchers at the war ship for a noon show down, bloody yanks always jumping the gun.

It's good to see that you all did so well, hopefully more days like that to come for us all.

Eric

nigelr
09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the excellent post and pics!
Sounds (and looks) like a very memorable day!

The_Tub
10-07-2011, 05:05 AM
hey samsy

great fish there,conditions looked pretty good,put in afew hours for on to much,its good when a last roll of the dice spot change payes off,i,ve been fishing in close from evans and ballina and so far have only managed pannies,i was saying to me mate we might go wider next time but it sounds like the jackets are coming or have arrived

samsy
10-07-2011, 07:07 AM
G'day Tub

I went out yesterday afternoon for a quick toss on the 32's. It was like a wasteland. Nothing was showing on the sounder. I guess these fish have scattered as they know the plague of jackets are coming. I heard they are on the 100 fathom line yesterday so there real close at the moment. I also see that the co -op has the cheap jackets sign out the fron again.

The good thing is they only last about a 1-1.5 months. So I will be doing plenty of work around the house during that time and accumulating plenty of browning points :) I cant wait till september.