PDA

View Full Version : Boat covers

capt
06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Just wondering if the covers at Bias are any good for my 4m tinny.
Planing to head up north and want to keep dust out and evil eyes.

cheers Jimmy

Noelm
06-07-2011, 02:22 PM
from my limited experience, any of the "off the shelf" covers that you can tow with, are only just OK, most balloon up and almost all of them just flap like crazy the whole time you are moving over about 10kph! if I was planning a decent trip, a custom made job would be worth every cent (in my opinion)

CCDrifter
06-07-2011, 03:28 PM
I am with you Noelm, the off the shelf covers are JUST OK. I have one on my 4 mtr tinnie at home where it is stored but I would not put any faith in it towing the boat to the end of the street let alone any distance.

Nathan

Seahorse
06-07-2011, 04:03 PM
i bought good one from cunninghams about 12 months ago for my 455 seajay. fits very well always outside, includes extra to cover motor, fits real well.
paid bit more than the bcf or bias ones but is completely towable.
cost me $260

lucee81
06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
I picked up one from rays about 2 weeks ago discounted from about $250 to $49 discontinued apparently. Has a lot of straps and ment to be able to tow it but I would not trust it. If it gets a lot of wind under it does that not add drag which adds fuel consumption? Have you considered stone reflectors on the trailer and covering the boat when you stop for the night? Just a thought.

thylacene
06-07-2011, 10:30 PM
we destroyed a bimin towing from old due to the "flap" in the cover wearing through the softer material, it also took paint off. find an auto upholsterer who has experience with boats and get one made to fit, its worth the extra if you need a cover

Noelm
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
There is a few mobile canopy types of guys around almost every area that will come to your house and make a custom fit cover that will leave any of the cheapies for dead, and they are reasonably cheap for the quality you get, my local guy has made me a full canopy, 2 biminis and a cover all over the course of 20 years or so, (in fact, I almost bought the business when he was retiring, but I didn't) so have a look around and see if there is one near you.

Daisy Burnett
07-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Just wondering if the covers at Bias are any good for my 4m tinny.
Planing to head up north and want to keep dust out and evil eyes.

cheers Jimmy

Just make sure it has plenty of tie downs and is rated as a towing cover. A few extra ropes here and there are sometimes wothwhile. A properly designed and fitted custom cover is the ideal but will of course cost. Any of these will keep the prying eyes out but as for dust etc, forget it. Short of shrink wrap not much is going to keep the dust out.

Good Luck
Daisy

capt
07-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Thanks all for responding, you have answered my doubts of the cheepy .

The local trimmer here Quoted $500 for a fitted one . they do a top job though. Hard to condone spending that much on the old girl . I am leaning that way.

Hey Seahorse does your one flap around under tow ?

Suppose I had better get a motor cover too .... and on it goes LOL

cheers jimmy

GLXMAN
08-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks all for responding, you have answered my doubts of the cheepy .

The local trimmer here Quoted $500 for a fitted one . they do a top job though. Hard to condone spending that much on the old girl . I am leaning that way.

Hey Seahorse does your one flap around under tow ?

Suppose I had better get a motor cover too .... and on it goes LOL

cheers jimmy
Sounds like a good deal to me, my boat is just under 5m and the cover cost $1000,
Even then, I had to modify straps that were wrecking decals,

If you are looking at dirt roads, also get one for the motor and cover everything in shrink rap before you put the cover on,

Even then, on my last trip to Weipa, dust found its way under the motor cover, (no shrink rap), and just as well I took the motor cover off, nice pile of bulldust sitting in front of the carby intake :o

Regards,
Gary

bigjimg
09-07-2011, 03:19 PM
6913269131[A69093TTAC69091H]6969092130[/ATTACH]If towing is the priority while the cover is on then get one professionally made.The money saved from buying the elcheapo ones will be well worth it.Mine is 600 denier fabric and is breathable but is purely for storage,I would not think of dragging it down the highway.The tie downs are reinforced pretty well and everything is double stitched.Mine is for a 6.2m boat as I wanted no spots pulled tight.As you can see all fits loosely.$400 delivered.;)Jim

capt
10-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Thanks Gary , I do plan to go to the Weipa area . Not sure how many dirt roads there are in that area these days but will coverup anyway.
Hey jim couldn't open your attachments ????

Jimmy

stevel3
10-07-2011, 08:40 PM
do any of the cheaper ones work with a bimimi top, I have a 5.1 metre runabout and want a cover just for storage, or does the top have to be put down first.