PDA

View Full Version : Out off Cape Moreton Sunday and had one cast only

TREVELLY
05-07-2011, 05:05 PM
It's true, I was only taking my sisters and nieces out whale watching and decided to throw in a spin outfit just incase - as you do ;)

Anyway after watching whales for a while I saw a cobia in the water and thought . . . .

So got rigged up and had one cast about half hour later and hooked up to this . . . .

It took 45-50 minutes to land. Flasher type lure, 40lb braid - it fought hard.

It was as fat as - it was almost as wide as it was deep and after the fight I struggled to lift it.

I made a quick decision after landing it to release it. Yes a shame about the gaff hole, but it was neat and the fish swam off all good after spearing it back.

A longtail - they are supposed to be okay as sushi or something but not great unless fresh - I think that's right??

I was hopeful of a cobia, but had a good tussle all the same :)

So after making my poor crew wait and wait and wait - no way I was going to cast again.

Water temp 22.5 deg and choppy with a fair breeze from South.

trueblue
05-07-2011, 07:30 PM
I like long tail steaks - nothing wrong with eating LT's

TREVELLY
05-07-2011, 08:09 PM
For future reference - do they freeze okay and taste reasonable afterwards?

Steaks are easy enough - I have a bandsaw.

trueblue
05-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Fresh is always best, but frozen is ok. just don't overcook it like any toona

I do steak medalions though, not full cross cut steaks (that would be crap)

I remove flesh into 4 portions (fillet quadrants) and remove absolutely all blood line meat

then slice into clean medalion steaks about 3/4" thick. no bones, no red blood meat - great tasting if seared on a hot pan and cooked correctly (rare).

007legend
06-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Longtail sushimi is excellent, has to bleed out right, but I think you can`t beat it.
I have some japanese friends here and they rate up there, if not better than Yellowfin tuna.
Cheers Dougie

Edmo
06-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Yep gotta agree long tail is the king of tuna sashimi, if you get a vacume bagger even a cheapy from the internet (gettem for around 50 bucks) they freeze exeptionally well. Yummo.