PDA

View Full Version : Quickie DI. july 4th

Lucky_Phill
05-07-2011, 10:36 AM
As bad or good luck would have it, there was a stuff up at work, which meant starting date was not first up Monday, but Wednesday.

I had been contemplating a quick trip to 1770 with the weather looking good north of Double Island Point. Seas to .3 and winds under 5 knots for a day or two.

So, at 10am, I decided to hit Double Island point, offshore.( the 6 hour drive to 1770 was not on ) I haven’t been out there for a little while and needed to re-acquaint myself with what’s doin !

Good run to Tin Can Bay ramp, quick launch and track logging myself out of the estuary . Radio in to Coast Guard for co-ordinates to negotiate the bar, all good. I had 2 big greenies stand up in front of me on the outer bank, probably due to me crossing at about last of the run out.

Made our way to first spot…. mmmm this doesn’t look right, and it wasn't, picked up a mark way too close to the point. Ended up roughly 35k’s east NE of the bar and onto reasonable shows. Current virtually nil, wind maybe 2 – 5 knots, water depth 56mtrs.

Deposited the anchor and ended up on the spot. Start with the berley and bang, I’m on. In no time I had a little 3ft reef shark at the boat. Bugga. Then the big bait goes off… Bugga….. bit through half way up the 80lb leader… more shark. But then things changed with sun getting lower and I believe the berley starting to work. Parrot hit the deck. 1, 2, 3 then on my next drop, I get hit about 30 mtrs down and the “ spaggetti rod “ ( As some here know it ) starts bowing and bending. Considering I was using 20lb mono on the old Diawa sealine, I was not confident. Success, a nice knobby lay at boat side looking a tad tired, so I though I would give him a rest………. In my esky. ! ;D ;)

The next ½ hour was nuts…. Every drop, some misses, but they were going well. Slowed a tad and more parrot, then a lull. Sun gone down over Fraser, and a decision was made to head in, after having a chat to Spot82 ( anthony about his day there ) I was not confident of the weather forecast, that the change would come in Tuesday arvo. Lucky, as I found out this morning that the NW wind came in to 18knots over night, not that that is a bad wind, but I don’t need to be anchored 35k offshore in winter in 20knots of crappy NW winds and trying to sleep.

Back to the bar at WOT, crossed the bar with bugga all light, but the 2 Garmins I have on board served me well, and the incoming tide helped.

Drove back to Brisvegas for a good nights sleep, cleaned fish this morning and thought I’d share.

OH, for those that want to know, mullet fillet was the bait and chook pellets / pillies, for berley.

Cheers Phill

A note to self.... snapper are in decline, time for new regs ::)

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Snap-bag.jpg

Unhappy looking brute...

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/snapper1.jpg

Sorry about quality. phone camera and the sun has almost gone.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm246/Lucky_Phill/Sunset-Snaps.jpg

wags on the water
05-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Good stuff Phill.

Benno1
05-07-2011, 10:56 AM
Snapper Deck o Death...NICE. Some top shelf fish there Phill...lucky to catch anything really in those squally conditions :P
Cheers for the pics and info...makes me reaaaaallly look forward to comin home!!!

Mrs Benno1
Sunny

outwide1
05-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Some good fish there Phil.That outer bank really does stand up on the low tide with some swell on it.
Mick

XtremeBoony
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
great looking snaps there phill, good thing u didn't make the drive to 1770 as this leaves more fish for us :) Looking forward to catching up at the M & G. Not long now :)

cheers from boony

dayoo
05-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Nice report and pics Phill. Come September 1 a nice offshore bag of quality snapper will only be a memory.

Cheers
Barry

tropicrows
05-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Good report Phill and some quality fillets for the freezer.

Bull
05-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Nice stuff Phill you had a great day out well done. Those snapper look very decent.

Cheers Bull

Skusto
05-07-2011, 02:36 PM
well done phill nice fish what depth on the outer bank when we were there a couple weeks ago only 3-4 metres getting a bit shallow i think the fishermans gutter may be better.

Bladeca
05-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Nice snapper there Phil. We were out there yesterday and stayed overnight. Unfortunately we didn't get any big snapper. Originally we were about 20mile ENE of the bar and had a good session with the qualty of the fish improving as it approached 3:30 but decided to move in to about 6 mile from the bar so that if the wind came up we didn't have to pound into on the way home. You left at a good time, as soon as the change came through to blow from the NW the bite shut down for the entire night. We pulled the pick at 6am and came in. We did manage to get our bag of reefies, so not a loss for us.

Cheers
Glenn

Tangles
05-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Nice stuff Phill ( 2x l's), quality

bugman
05-07-2011, 05:52 PM
:PHow many over 70cm

Lucky_Phill
05-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the comments guys and gals.

This sort of bag / photo will be a thing of the past come 1st September when the new regs come into play.

4 snaps and only 1 over 70cms..... is the new rule. :(

Even though I " played " these over 70cm fish to the boat, they would never survive a return to the water. On the deck they were life-less. As luck would have it, I stopped fishing for them when the limit was reached and did not have to upgrade. Well, no one HAS to upgrade, but you know what I mean.

Does anyone have an idea if it's best to skull drag them up and hope for a good release, or simply play them to the boat with finesse ?

Bladeca.... I think I passed you on my way in, there was another boat not far from you, just on sundown.

Skutso...... yep. depth went from 7mtrs to 3.9 in a flash on the outer bank.

Boony..... ha ha ha ... but there is still a few good days to come for a 1770 quickie and remove some of your target species from there, before the M & G. :) :P

Just finished a really good feed of fresh Parrot........ 8-) :)

LP.

Apollo
06-07-2011, 06:35 AM
Where was the invite? You drove past my place!

Top effort Phill. Good to see the endanger species still in big numbers despite what the greenies want others to believe.

Steve

trymyluck
06-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Good to see you get a nice feed Phill, I hope those missed calls were for the painting and not................:-?

Mark

four_button_arnie
06-07-2011, 09:08 AM
Nice work Phill! some stonkers there, any splash of red on the deck looks the goods!

Josh

bigjimg
08-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Well done Phill,your esky must be very comfy those fish look very relaxed.Jim

DALEPRICE
08-07-2011, 08:51 PM
looks like you ticked all the boxes!!
gotta love it

dale

murf
16-07-2011, 08:10 PM
in the words of Roz, bloody vermin :P

you went all that way for them? you can catch them 2kms out the front here haha

try for the reder reds next time ;)

a good trip though mate

cheers Murf

littlemac
16-07-2011, 08:13 PM
sweet stuff phill.

thats a great catch

well done

cheers

brett

jtpython
17-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Nice work Phil There should be a couple Snapper up this way around our rubble grounds if this wind will leave us alone
JT

onerabbit
17-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Does anyone have an idea if it's best to skull drag them up and hope for a good release, or simply play them to the boat with finesse ?

Is a hard question ,

I have had 4 kg fish come up 90-100 mtrs & fall off the hook at the boat & watched them swim back down like there was nothing wrong,

also had undersize fish in 60 mtrs blow their guts & float on release (Im not a fan of pricking).

I usually just pull a fish to the boat.

Muzz