PDA

View Full Version : QLD requirements for rego tfer on boat trailer? Do I need a Safety Cert?

fender22
03-07-2011, 06:42 AM
I don't know what the ATM is but buying a 14' tinny on a trailer
and I always thought you only needed a certificate if the trailer had brakes?

What is the requirement on a small single wheel boat trailer?
I just bought a camper trailer not long ago and the ATM on the rego sticker
was just over 1000kg and they never asked for a safety certificate?

buggerit
03-07-2011, 08:15 AM
A safety certificate is required for any trailer greater than 750kg aggregate mass weight .

Angryant
03-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Here's an extract from the Transport and Main Roads website:

"In Queensland you must obtain and display a safety certificate on any registered light vehicle from the moment you offer the vehicle for sale. Vehicles include cars, motorbikes, caravans, trailers 0.75–3.5 tonnes (t) aggregate trailer mass (ATM) and any other vehicles up to 4.5 t gross vehicle mass (GVM)."

When I purchased my boat in April the seller was required to provide a safety certificate for the trailer (ATM over 750kg).

Angry

Feral
03-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Yep, easy rule of thumb for trailers - max 750kg gross, straight transfer, no additional paperwork needed. (Unless gas involved)

Just be aware with some of the crappy towing capacities from new cars now, you may start seeing brakes on trailers weighing between 500 and 750kg, as long as its registered for a max load of 750kg, still no checks required though.

Extremely unlikely a 14 foot tinny and trailer would go over the 750kg. You should be able to transfer without additional paperwork. (Still need transfer papers obviously).

daki23
03-07-2011, 05:55 PM
u still need to go into TMR and pick up a form from them for the trailer that you have to fill out for trailer under 750kg towing capacity.
cheers
daki

Moffy
03-07-2011, 07:27 PM
u still need to go into TMR and pick up a form from them for the trailer that you have to fill out for trailer under 750kg towing capacity.
cheers
daki

Is that an extra form daki?? -I transferred the rego on my boat trailer last week with only the normal transfer form and put in the exemption code for it being under 750kg on the form and it went through no issues??

Feral
04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
Thats all you need to do.
Except for stand in the Queue for 2 hours to get served that is!