PDA

View Full Version : Somerset?

nick_fish
01-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Has anyone produced any quality fishing out of somerset in recent weeks? I have stayed there in september and done reasonably well, however, i am unsure of how it fishes in winter?

Also on a side note, i currently, fish samsonvale as it is close to home and in summer i can head to a few spots and pick up 100's of fairly large tilapia with the odd bass and yellow thrown in. But i have tried twice in as many weeks and nothing. Are tilapia seasonal?

cheers Nick

NAGG
01-07-2011, 05:59 PM
I fished Somerset last weekend . I landed a couple of fish in quick succession on the Friday evening - then basically hardly managed a bump on Sat/Sun.
From what I saw on the sounders , the bass were only forming little playgroups & hadn't started school yet ........ so maybe still a week or so away from forming the large schools.
The previous 2 winters were great - plenty of fish landed and some decent sizes too ( 50-55cm fork) ....... we started to fish from mid July & through Aug ....... before the pond lice become unbearable.
I'll be back up there in 3 weeks time ..... & fingers crossed it will be game on

Chris

Feral
03-07-2011, 05:29 AM
Tilapia are affected by cold, but those fishing for them in the lease area are still getting reasonable numbers, albeit it further upstream than previously.

Mike Delisser
03-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Try the shallower water for tilapia in winter, esp in the arvos, it's usually a lot warmer.
Still getting plenty on worms at the back of Nth Pine Dam down from the cemetry.
Cheers

Reel
07-07-2011, 12:24 PM
sorry but i had to ask are you eating the Tilapia or just catching it for sport?

nick_fish
07-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Haha no chance im eating those ugly looking bastards.. just go for them cause they are close to where i live and it is very simple to take mates who no little about fishing and get a ####ign 100's of the bastards in one afternoon.. Its quite humerus watching the bogans out that way scoop them all up after you throw them on the bank though.. but i guess thats the financial crisis for you.

oldboot
08-07-2011, 10:04 PM
Remember in other countries Talapia are a big aquaculture fish and some consider them a good eating fish.

But we are not suposed to have them in possesion, nor are we alowed to release them.

cheers

Mike Delisser
08-07-2011, 11:41 PM
There's plenty of guys catching eskies full at Nth Pine. I've seen the inspectors there a couple of times, they check for SIPS but choose to turn a blind eye to anglers taking home esky fulls of dead Talipa. I know what the rules say but I don't have a big issue with this either.

I went redclawing there the other day and took along 3 worms I dug up in the garden, they resuted in 3 casts in 5 mins for 4 Tilapa. I threw them up the bank for the meatos.There must be millions of Talipa in NPD.

lifestyle
15-07-2011, 01:24 PM
Should be open season on talarpia so it isnt illegal to have them in your possesion. They are in every water way . Its one fish that should be targeted with bins to put the fish in at every dam. On the fishing side of things i caught a few big freshwater catties eel tail type a few weeks back up at sommerset using worms kept a few for a taste . Went quite good on the chew. I didnt say to the old man what they were and he loved em.