PDA

View Full Version : Repainting my hull.. Advice needed

Jabba_
30-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Hi guys, im after some recommendation on who to repaint my hull... At the moment I have anti-foul that is in a bad way and is in dire need off removal and painted with 2 pak or a new coat off anti-foul...

Not sure which way to go,, I want to get best from this hull in terms off speed and economy,(which has slipped backwards a bit in the last 6 months). But I also keep the boat in the water over the Christmas break for 2-4 weeks.. Is anti-foul necessary for a 2-4 week stint in the water?..
If so, which anti-foul would best suit my requirements. I want to regain my top speed (I have dropped 4mph), and get back my economy to 1.8lt/ltr (now its at 1.65).... I sure most new anti-foul will improve things, but is there a product that is very low friction... If I can pick up a few extra mph, I will be extremely happy...

If I go with two-paking the hull, I would like some advice on who to do the job,. The underside off the boat is vulnerable and I would be pissed if the paint started to peel or flake after a year or 2.. So I want a pro, not some shark to take my money and deliver a crap job...

OPTI
30-06-2011, 08:49 PM
firstly you dont need to antifoul the bottom for just 2 to 4 week period,although it might require a acid wash after 4 weeks.
antifouling would be your cheapest option,to get the best performance out of it ,you need to use a hard antifoul and spray it on instead of rolling.
if you want to 2 pack it id be expecting around 6 k,removing the antifoul is not easy ,sandblasting proably the easiest way,id be using a poly urethene 2 pak such as sterling or similar.
if it were me id be rolling the boat over and re gell coating it using patch booster additive.cheaper material cost but a little more labor intensive

Leonida
30-06-2011, 08:56 PM
you're boat will go slower if you 2pak the hull.
You want the antifoul to be rough, so it creates little air pockets ( minute ones) inturn making your hull go faster.
Roller it on , and save that extra $ Jabba.

OPTI
30-06-2011, 09:12 PM
you're boat will go slower if you 2pak the hull.
You want the antifoul to be rough, so it creates little air pockets ( minute ones) inturn making your hull go faster.
Roller it on , and save that extra $ Jabba.
not sure where you get your info from ??every boat ive had antifould alwys went slower.i was working on a southern cross 52 when it lost 5 knts top speed after being antifould with a roller application,it was then sanded and reapplied with a spray gun and guess what ?it picked up its lost 5knts,every boat ive been involved with since then gets sprayed ,its proven beyond doubt

Jarrah Jack
30-06-2011, 09:43 PM
I think Opti is right on that one. Ask any yachtie, from my racing experience the smoother the bottom is the less friction the quicker the hull can slip through the water. It was never easy getting the racing crew to polish the bottom though. Polish off the beer more like it.

murf
30-06-2011, 09:47 PM
from what I have heard that the finish is like a golf ball to go faster in race boats, a true smooth surface slows you down

I am looking at 2 pak or trying to find out if I can roller on a coat of gell coat on my 16' boat, I don't care about speed or looks I just want something tough, a ripply/orange peel finish would be perfect on my old boat

cheers Murf

murf
30-06-2011, 09:49 PM
I think Opti is right on that one. Ask any yachtie, from my racing experience the smoother the bottom is the less friction the quicker the hull can slip through the water. It was never easy getting the racing crew to polish the bottom though. Polish off the beer more like it.

that might be right up to 10knts or so but once you are over a 160km/hr things change

cheers Murf

Leonida
30-06-2011, 11:07 PM
Jabba i understand wholeheartedly your hesitation in dealing with people in the industry.
There is plenny of those sharks you speak of. All the best with your boats hull repair. By the way, great to see you still have the beast.

OPTI
01-07-2011, 06:58 AM
give the boys a sray time a call,they are based at the gold coast city marina,that will give you a ball park cost.they do great work.

Jabba_
01-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Have you got a number for them Opti?

frankgrimes
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Have you got a number for them Opti?

http://www.spraytime.com.au/Contact.aspx

Factory 33
Gold Coast City Marina
76-84 Waterway Dr
Coomera 4209,
Queensland
Australia

Phone:
+61 7 5502 6700

Mick

Jabba_
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
firstly you dont need to antifoul the bottom for just 2 to 4 week period,although it might require a acid wash after 4 weeks.
antifouling would be your cheapest option,to get the best performance out of it ,you need to use a hard antifoul and spray it on instead of rolling.
if you want to 2 pack it id be expecting around 6 k,removing the antifoul is not easy ,sandblasting proably the easiest way,id be using a poly urethene 2 pak such as sterling or similar.
if it were me id be rolling the boat over and re gell coating it using patch booster additive.cheaper material cost but a little more labor intensive
Hey mate, I accidently touched the dislike icon on my Iphone, and I dont know how to amend it... I actually meant to hit the like button...

Swanie1975
01-07-2011, 05:23 PM
hey jabba, if you can find some more sandbanks in the broady (hard to do i know lol) and run up and down on them a few times that should clean off a bit more and save you some hard work;D. i can prob get you a reasonable price on 2k paint thru work if you want - canary yellow ok ? you can roller the very bottom to the chines and then spray the sides for the best looking finish. i also know a good vinyl guy for your stickers.

cheers ryan

Blackened
01-07-2011, 05:27 PM
G'day

I can only offer a reccomendation up here in brisbane, Dean from MMA at rivergate. He resprays the superyachts and patrol boats consistently.

Dave

Jabba_
01-07-2011, 08:16 PM
hey jabba, if you can find some more sandbanks in the broady (hard to do i know lol) and run up and down on them a few times that should clean off a bit more and save you some hard work;D. i can prob get you a reasonable price on 2k paint thru work if you want - canary yellow ok ? you can roller the very bottom to the chines and then spray the sides for the best looking finish. i also know a good vinyl guy for your stickers.

cheers ryan
That doesnt sound to bad, but if im going to 2 pac the bottom, I'll be doing it in white just to the first chime and leave the sides yellow... What sort off finish will a roller give me? If I tip it off will I get a smooth gloss finish?

Swanie1975
01-07-2011, 08:36 PM
any 2k paint will give a slight orange-peel finish, you can actually flatten it off (1200-1500 grit) then polish it back up to a gloss but it will still have a slight peel. some older hot-rod fans still use lacquer and polish it up to give mirror like finishes but its not really suitable in a marine enviroment. once mixed(paint + hardener) you would need to play with the thinning ratio and the right roller to get the best flow out effect without it running but once done it will cure fully in a week and look great for years if done properly. you could spray and get a better finish but then you need a spraybooth and the costs go up. the great thing about the roller is you can do it an home (on a good day) with no overspray or mess.

cheers ryan

Daisy Burnett
03-07-2011, 05:11 PM
from what I have heard that the finish is like a golf ball to go faster in race boats, a true smooth surface slows you down

I am looking at 2 pak or trying to find out if I can roller on a coat of gell coat on my 16' boat, I don't care about speed or looks I just want something tough, a ripply/orange peel finish would be perfect on my old boat

cheers Murf

Murf I was curious because I had heard something similar. So it just so happened that the offshore racers were in Townsville today so I went down and rubbed up the hulls of a couple.. Smooth as a baby's butt. Myth busted.

Cheers
Daisy

murf
03-07-2011, 07:53 PM
Murf I was curious because I had heard something similar. So it just so happened that the offshore racers were in Townsville today so I went down and rubbed up the hulls of a couple.. Smooth as a baby's butt. Myth busted.

Cheers
Daisy

well there ya go :) I have only been told that when at the ski races down at the Southern 80, I was only the boat launcher so no expert haha

I still don't care if mine is full of ripples/dimples/orange peel, I just want it cheep tough and maintenance free

cheers Murf

Daisy Burnett
03-07-2011, 08:15 PM
well there ya go :) I have only been told that when at the ski races down at the Southern 80, I was only the boat launcher so no expert haha

I still don't care if mine is full of ripples/dimples/orange peel, I just want it cheep tough and maintenance free

cheers Murf

Couldn't agree more
Cheers

Madshagger
04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Opti is all over it, Two pac it.

Antifoul = slow

Fast = ::)

Jabba_
04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Ok thanks guys... I am yet to decide which way I will be going with the hull.. What it will come down to is my tax return, if it is good one or not.. Not sure how it will be as I have had a topsy turvy 12 months... Ultimately I would love a white 2Pac bottom..

Can any off you advise me on the best 2Pac product I should use, ( I heard that a linear polyurethane is the best for this situation)..
And if I go anti foul, which is the best product from my requirments...

Matt

BM
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Jabba,

Have you somewhere you can do it and the skill to spray it yourself (2K paint that is)?

If so it will be the best outcome for performance and appearance. And the cost will be minimal. You'd be up for about $200 worth of paint and associated extras (bog, sanding discs etc).

Roll and tip works ok if you have the skills to do it but it won't come out looking like a spray finish. Nothing beats a beautiful straight off the gun gloss.

You could do it yourself in a weekend with some space and some gear. Be easier if the engine was lifted off, then you can roll the hull off the trailer and onto its side. Get the antifoul off with a gel type antifoul remover and sand the bum smooth with some 180 or 240 grit (wearing a proper mask as the antifoul is usually toxic). Mask up and then 2-4 coats of 2K and let it harden up for several days.

Regarding paint brands I have found it really doesn't matter. i have used many different brands over the years and also the polyurethane 2K variety that is allegedly better and harder. I have not seen any noticeable difference. Sure, if you want to spend megabucks on Glasurit or similar it will be a better paint but its not warranted on a boat and the extra quality of the paint is unlikely to be realised given the less than dead flat nature of fibreglass panels.

The only paint brand I ever had problems with was APCO. I haven't seen it sold in Australia although they do have representation here. I used it on a job overseas and the 'off the gun' perfection and gloss over a period of 2 months turned into a sandpaper type finish. Still waiting on their technical department to explain the problem with the paint and replace the product. That was 2+ yrs ago! In fact, a second batch of their paint when catalysed never hardened in a 14 day period either. It remained as a liquid!!

Cheers