PDA

View Full Version : Raised the motor one hole

winston
28-06-2011, 04:49 PM
As the title says, yesterday I had the motor raised one hole. The motor is a Suzuki 140 hp fourstroke on a 5.6 m Stessl Seahawk halfcabin. Some obversations are: hole shot is a little better (noticable), cruising speed is approximately 1.5 knots higher, down wind maxium revs improved by 200 and the boat feels more "on the water" rather than "through the water". Now I can go ahead and fit a stainless propeller. Something the dealer found was that the bolts used on the motor had insufficient thread so that even though they were done up tight, they had not fully connected the motor to the hull. It cost me $16 for four new bolts. It was well worth the effort and expense so thanks to Ausfish members for their advice on my previous thread. Cheers Winston. p.s. We got back to the Hervey bay boat harbour the next morning to find that some of her magesty's future clients had egged the passenger door and tooth pasted the drivers door. I hope karma is not imaginary.

trueblue
28-06-2011, 05:37 PM
do you have a before and after photo of the engine height?

Swanie1975
28-06-2011, 05:50 PM
hi winston, some pics would be great as im getting the same motor fitted on a signature 550br and would keen to see your setup. how did you know it was too low before? - was your cav plate buried when planing or is there something else to look for?

whats your top speed and prop pitch?

cheers ryan

stue2
28-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Good stuff Winston. Good feeling when it comes together the way you want it to. Shame about the marble heads on the warf.

Cheers Stu

winston
28-06-2011, 07:40 PM
Guys, no before and after photos as the difference between the two holes is only about 1/2 inch. The boat never felt as if it was running correctly, the cavitation plate was not visible whist running even though I could reach 6000 rpm @ 33 knots. Now I can just see the cavititation plate whilst running ( below the water) plus approximately 1 knot has been added. This has been a case of fine tuning. I am positive there are thousands of satisfied owners out ther whose boat/motor/trailer combination is far from optimal but are perfectley happy with their lot. I wasn't but am happier now. Cheers Winston.

murf
28-06-2011, 08:01 PM
I would hate to imagine how many people out there with boats running at far less than optimal motor height/prop size :(

glad you are now happier with your lot :)

cheers Murf

stue2
28-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Guys, no before and after photos as the difference between the two holes is only about 1/2 inch. The boat never felt as if it was running correctly, the cavitation plate was not visible whist running even though I could reach 6000 rpm @ 33 knots. Now I can just see the cavititation plate whilst running ( below the water) plus approximately 1 knot has been added. This has been a case of fine tuning. I am positive there are thousands of satisfied owners out ther whose boat/motor/trailer combination is far from optimal but are perfectley happy with their lot. I wasn't but am happier now. Cheers Winston.

You could probably come up one more hole and try it there before you fit the stainless prop. The cav plate is better on the water rather than in it even if it cavitates a small amount with your current prop it should be right on the money with a stainless.

As Chimo once stated, he could reach down and put his hand under the foils on his boat when running ;). And this was the case with my old boat as well.

My new boat sounds similar to yours and has had a similar result but I will be raising one more hole before I look at props or cupping.

Good luck. Very interested in your results so keep us all posted.

Cheers, Stu

dreemon
28-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Try it one more hole up and see if it helps get the cav plate on top O the water, you might like it even more! I've allways maxed my engine heights on the boats I had including one in my av, on it's last hole now. so I raised the permatrim 20 mm. Cheers

stue2
28-06-2011, 08:29 PM
I am positive there are thousands of satisfied owners out ther whose boat/motor/trailer combination is far from optimal but are perfectley happy with their lot. I wasn't but am happier now

I am certain that alot of them have never been in a boat that has been set up correctly and then there is the others that have boats that run pretty well but the skipper has never been to the back for a look