PDA

View Full Version : Kid knocked out by a whales tail while fishing off Iluka.

ranga7
27-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Yep thats right a 13yo got knocked unconscious by a whales tail. It was on the news last night and in the local paper today. He and his parents where fishing out off Iluka somewhere(think it was woody head) when the unbelievable happened. The tail of the whale went from the bow through to the stern knocking the windscreen out and hitting the boy in the head. He was unconscious for 5mins and went blue. They got him to shore and off to hospital where he has recovered and has a broken collar bone and a sore head. Glad everyone is fine.

bigdonk
27-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Glad so see it wasnt a worse outcome!!!! bloody sacry!

06Adsy
27-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Dead-set GREATEST fishing tale ever!!!!! 8-)

These whales are becoming a bit of a problem, maybe we should up the bag limit on them............ ;D

murf
27-06-2011, 08:06 PM
one very unlucky kid to be hit but lucky to be able to brag to his mates about it

cheers Murf

Richo1
27-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Very lucky kid, an amazing tail..... I mean tale :)

spelchek
27-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Those whales make me very nervous (more so after reading this). Mate of mine had his anchor rope get tangled with a whale off South Passage last year. Pulled him a mile and the GPS at one point was reading 8kn. The boat - 35 ft cougar cat. Scared the shite out of him and the missus (and understandably so). He was lucky in that it untangled itself just as he had made his way to the bow (no walk-thru or hatch so around the sides with the knife clenched in his teeth pirate style) so he got his anchor back.

He said the whale was mighily pissed off and thrashed around the boat for 30secs after it freed itself.

deckie
28-06-2011, 12:29 AM
Absolutely sick of these bastards and their hit and run tactics.

About time we had our own fishing sanctuary areas where all whales and other assorted useless wildlife that wont take a lure are banned totally. Start with seals and penguins...u can ban those pricks right away.

wayno60
28-06-2011, 02:32 AM
I wonder if we should start to paint the aussie flag on the bottom of our boats so they know there in friendly waters...they dont have to worry about getting a harpoon in the back of the head...

I wonder if the kid had a life jacket on???

PinHead
28-06-2011, 05:05 AM
Thankfully all are ok..the young bloke just needs to improve his gaff skills for next time.

marto78
28-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I wonder if we should start to paint the aussie flag on the bottom of our boats so they know there in friendly waters...they dont have to worry about getting a harpoon in the back of the head...

I wonder if the kid had a life jacket on???

A Japanese flag may be better for making them keep their distance :P

Almako
28-06-2011, 07:19 AM
i'd have moved. When they've come up to the boat before i move, dont trust them.

ranga7
28-06-2011, 08:44 AM
The mum also said before it happened the young fella managed to land 2 red rock cod(red harries). Guess it was worth while then...

wayno60
28-06-2011, 11:04 AM
Absolutely sick of these bastards and their hit and run tactics.

About time we had our own fishing sanctuary areas where all whales and other assorted useless wildlife that wont take a lure are banned totally. Start with seals and penguins...u can ban those pricks right away.

the young bloke just needs to improve his gaff skills for next time.

cracked me up...

theoldlegend
28-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Dead-set GREATEST fishing tale ever!!!!! 8-)

These whales are becoming a bit of a problem, maybe we should up the bag limit on them............ ;D

Bag limit of 4, only one over 70 feet......... >:(

TOL

Angla
28-06-2011, 05:12 PM
There is a white pointer club for those that have been bitten and are still alive to tell the tale.

I reckon he should start a whale club for those that have been knocked out by a whale and survived to tell the tale. Very exclusive club

LMAO at all the top comments.

Cheers
Chris

robothefisho
28-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Not uncommon for a young male chasing some tail to get hit, but knocked out sheeesh he must have called her fat.

murf
28-06-2011, 06:24 PM
Not uncommon for a young male chasing some tail to get hit, but knocked out sheeesh he must have called her fat.

she was probably a big pregnant cow :-X

cheers Murf

onerabbit
28-06-2011, 07:20 PM
Bloke on the radio said it had possibly been harrassed by whale watchers & was feeling threatened,

I have never felt scared of whales no matter how close,

maybe it was a "rogue whale".

Muzz

murf
28-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Bloke on the radio said it had possibly been harrassed by whale watchers & was feeling threatened,

I have never felt scared of whales no matter how close,

maybe it was a "rogue whale".

Muzz

I too in all honesty have never worried or felt threatened by whales, I have had them under the boat in 20' of water upside down with pec pins out each side, she was trying to escape the advances of two males, best day on the water ever :)

they do make your heart race when they do a big turn/dive at the boat in the dark though and I have had people on my boat stomping on the floor and bashing the sides of the boat in fear for their lives

yeah the odd one gets tangled in an anchor rope and even rarer someone gets knocked out by a wayward tail but they know what they are doing so I enjoy the visit

cheers Murf

Defore
29-06-2011, 02:28 PM
May be the kid was writing a novel and started with "Call me Ishmael"