PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on Fishing Magazines/Publications a year?

Ausfish
27-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Just interested what the average spend is

Gon Fishun
27-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Maaaate, it is quicker, easier and much for informative and humurous to log onto
AF.;D

sprocketman
27-06-2011, 02:46 PM
I got a subscription to Fishing World for Christmas so not as much as I used to - not a bad gift at all.

charleville
27-06-2011, 02:51 PM
Six or seven years ago when I was traveling a lot in my job, I would spend hundreds of dollars per year on the glossy fishing mags as well as QFM and B&B. I needed the escapist treat that the mags gave me when I was bored out of my brain sitting at airports or staying in hotels far away.

After retiring from that life and having the capacity to go fishing as much as I liked and whenever I liked, I decreased my buying of the escapist glossies and just stuck to the more informative QFM and B&B.

After a few years of those mags, however, I find the the stories to be seasonally repetitive and not yielding as much new "tuition" to me as when I was less experienced and so now I buy no fishing mags.

My wife, however, occasionally will see a fishing magazine when she is shopping and buy it for me. Perhaps $20 - $30 worth per year at max.

PinHead
27-06-2011, 04:18 PM
I am the same as Bruce..the regular mags are repetitious..I reckon I could do most of there articles in about 2 paragraphs. I spend nothing on them these days.

tunaticer
27-06-2011, 05:14 PM
Online forums like ausfish are a lot more realistic and much more informative than any of the magazines you can buy.
I can not stand advertorial stories and probably for that reason alone, I do not buy or read any magazines anymore.
Even on this site if the guys start spruiking this reel and that rod and crap advertizing their arsenal, I quickly leave that page and ignore everything else written.
Last fishing magazine I bought would be a decade ago or so.

spelchek
27-06-2011, 05:43 PM
I buy BNB or QFM once in awhile when a cover headline advertising an article of interest catches my eye. I can't remember the last time I was satisfied with the ensuing read. Basically use em for whiling way the time on the throne.

$50 a year Id say.

theoldlegend
27-06-2011, 06:17 PM
I suscribe to BnB every month, so I suppose about $36 per year.

Not fussed on the glossies too much. They talk too much about how good the top end gear is that they've been given to try out.

TOL

finga
27-06-2011, 06:40 PM
I spend zip on fishing magazines.

flatzie
27-06-2011, 07:06 PM
I used to spend quite a bit on mags but like most comments they were very repetitive, stuffed full of advertising and usually one or two stories that were of interest.
I used to travel a lot overseas and so like Charleville would often take a couple for a read when sitting in some hotel on the other side of the world.
Forums are much better as you can localise, learn off others, meet a heap of people and also get to contribute to others who need help and give others the benefit of what we have learned.
I do buy some of the DVD mags now as you get to get a resouce which you can watch over and over and such media is now more accessible.
Flatzie

Stik-ugly
27-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I read either QFM or B& B > I gave up on the glossys. The only problem is finding out what was biting last month

BLOOEY
27-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Same as most on here for me. Used to buy loads of them and learned alot from them, but now find them very repetitive. I do still buy Bush and beach occasionally though. Ben

Lucky_Phill
27-06-2011, 08:00 PM
I am an airport, fishing mag tragic and a B&B subscriber.

LP>

Giffo65
27-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I buy B&B occasionally as it seems the best for info, without all the sponsorship brands rammed down your throat.Such as, I went fishing in my Quintrex,Haines pushed by my Yamaha,Etec towed by my Toyota and caught fish with my Shimano on my my Ugly stick, using a Rapala on my Platypus line at my fishing lodge in Bla Bla Bla, all caught on my Kodak camera and uploaded from my Toshiba laptop while sitting in my Jayco caravan.Sound familiar !

fez
27-06-2011, 09:16 PM
I have a subscription to both B&B and QFM - both are presents so personally I spend zip but contribute about $50 - $60 to the fishing mag economy.

fez

Almako
27-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Subscriber to F&B, Cruising Helmsman and fishing monthly.
I definitely look forward to their arrival every month.
Whats that worth, i have no idea.

Muddy Toes
27-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I have a subscription to B and B and Trailerboat fisherman.Both are my birthday presents every year so with those two i spend zip.I do however seem to buy a hell of a lot of glossys at airports as i travel a fair bit for work.....they are repetitious, expensive and full of feel good stories that never seem to relate to me like the local ones but none the less i still buy them to flick through on planes.So i guess i'm in the couple of hundred category.

sleepygreg
27-06-2011, 10:48 PM
I always buy QFM and BnB, occasionally buy the glossies - depending on the content (flick through the index to see what the feature articles are), Bluewater, F & B, TBF - all using the same criteria. I also am a frequent flyer - so lots of waiting around airports, boring flights, motel rooms, dining alone. Probably around the $300 - $400 mark per year.

Greg

GES
28-06-2011, 01:42 PM
I have kept my own records of fishing effort and what I have learned from it over many years. This coupled with what I have gleaned from other Ausfishers on this site from time to time is enough information to keep fish in my fridge.
I don't buy any magazines. Occasionally I read one in the library while my wife goes shopping but I don't get much thrill from vicarious fishing and I can't stand the blatent advertising, as mentioned by others on this thread. I find that there is very little that is new in magazines.

GES

charleville
28-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I also am a frequent flyer - so lots of waiting around airports, boring flights, motel rooms, dining alone.

The mark of a good hotel restaurant in my experience as a weekly traveller for many years, was not the food, primarily. It was whether the waiters were caring enough to bring me a newspaper when they saw me dining alone and waiting for my meal.

If only they had a selection of fishing magazines instead of the newspapers....

nigelr
28-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Naught.
Some very good photo-yarns in the mags etc which I did used to enjoy immensely, but just as good if not better on here, more current, interactive, diverse opinions and no 'paid for comment'.....lol!

PinHead
28-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Online forums like ausfish are a lot more realistic and much more informative than any of the magazines you can buy.
I can not stand advertorial stories and probably for that reason alone, I do not buy or read any magazines anymore.
Even on this site if the guys start spruiking this reel and that rod and crap advertizing their arsenal, I quickly leave that page and ignore everything else written.
Last fishing magazine I bought would be a decade ago or so.

Oh, how true is that. I also don't read anything anywhere with that sort of drivel involved in it. I really don't care if they wear Bonds undies or none at all either. That is just wanksville.

Giveitacrack
28-06-2011, 07:25 PM
I subscribe to QFM and B+B which are good local reads.The national mags are full of advertising and bias opinions about products which are usually supplied to the editors for free or reduced prices.You are paying $8 + for bullshit.

Bouttime
28-06-2011, 09:26 PM
I read most fishing mags at diffrent times.Most are kept in the shed after flicking through several times in the thinking room every day.Every so often if i am planing a trip to a diffrent location ie Stanage bay for example, they will be pulled out of the archives and studied for spots and hints.Even after years of fishing you can still pick up a diffrent hint or tip on something you thought you knew like the back of your hand.What worked last trip may not work this trip.What worked 5 years ago may now be relevent.You never stop learning,we all like to thing we are at the top of our game with new toys but a lot of the old school ideas,with a tweek can be very efective.

sleepygreg
28-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Charleville....I judge a good hotel/motel restaurant by having decent food (not overpriced - but also flexibility of menu - so that I can order based on variations of their menu), and their respect of the fact that I am dining alone and want a table that enables me to read the material that i bring with me - usually a book or a magazine (in other words clear off all the other crap on the table and leave enough stuff for me to eat my meal, read my book and enjoy the banter with the FOH staff). I have struck up a number of fishing and cooking friendships with people around the country because of this.

Jarrah Jack
29-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Zip for me too. I took up fishing because of a mag I found at a worksite once. They have their place. Nothing beats the net for information now but the Fish Finder mag is great for northern Aus. I wish it was around when I did the cape york trip.

Wayne B
29-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Can anyone tell me the best publication to buy, I am a bit of a tragic and buy just about every mag when I am in the market for a new fishing or boating product. I mostly purchase the Qld Fishing monthly & NQ Fish and Boat...are there any publications that are worth getting?

dop
29-06-2011, 09:10 PM
Just interested what the average spend is
Qfm & B&b every month for the last 9-10 years

Regards Peter

Tangles
30-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Glad the question wasnt about Dvds lol,

bennykenny
06-07-2011, 07:42 AM
i notice there are 4 people that spend over 1 thousand dollars on fishing publications per year, thats alot of magazines, is there really that many monthly mags around that you can spend that much????

Noelm
06-07-2011, 08:41 AM
I have not bought a fishing mag for so many years now, there is only so many pictures of Snapper with a plastic stuck in it's mouth, or a Barra in some far off land that you want to see (I reckon) the magazines are just the same old tripe, month after month, almost nothing (except maybe the quality of the production) has changed since the 70's, maybe newbies might find them exciting, and even old hard heads might find an article to read every now and then, but as a general rule, they are just like TV fishing shows, Snapper on plastics, Flathead and Barra, with maybe a tiny bit of exotic tropical bottom fishing tossed in every three episode/editions.

Argle
06-07-2011, 10:14 AM
I get F&B and Club Marine, the F & B is a birthday present each year and the Club Marine is part of the boat insurance. Gave up on the B&B too much of the same old same old, I love fishing but I often think there could be more on "boating" I know my family are just as happy going for a cruise or setting up on a beach somewhere after a run on the boat. Probably get banned for mentioning it here but sometimes there is more to the experience than just wetting a line.

Cheers
Scott

Si
06-07-2011, 11:12 AM
i used to buy glossy's but like others have said the content was full of ads and broad sweeping common sense statements repeated often. I buy bnb and QFM. The only glossy's i buy now are from afn, sportfishing australia and freshwater fishing. both are excelent in detail and very informative with great diagrams and articles.

Wayne B
06-07-2011, 12:27 PM
. Probably get banned for mentioning it here but sometimes there is more to the experience than just wetting a line.

Mate, I would hope that the "powers at be" were not so authoritarian that they would ban someone for opinions on a forum...isn't that what a forum is for?????? Should I be running scared?? ::)

Si
07-07-2011, 12:00 PM
whos spending more than $1000 a year? Holy snapping ducks! thats crazy!

NAGG
07-07-2011, 06:39 PM
Not that much spent these days & of the $100 most of that would be when travelling

Chris

NAGG
07-07-2011, 06:43 PM
i notice there are 4 people that spend over 1 thousand dollars on fishing publications per year, thats alot of magazines, is there really that many monthly mags around that you can spend that much????

I reckon you would be pushing it to get that high ........ but I know a couple of blokes the subscribe to overseas mags too . Do we also include the couple of fishing DVDs in this ?

Chris

tunaticer
07-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Thinking back over the past 30 odd years of really serious fishing addiction, the stages back in the early decade or so I was a magaholic......gleaned a fair bit from them, but soon found that the mag was lack-lustre to when you actually go to the places and experience it for yourself. Many of the "must go to" places, whilst inspiring, are less productive and enjoyable as the places you do not find in the mags. The places that do not get the mentions are the real gems, the places you discover yourself and work out for really good results. It amazes me still just how close to Brisbane these places are. I have 4 outstanding local creek areas that are seldom visited that really turn on the goods and all within 30 minutes of Petrie. In C Qld and FNQ and the Gulf I have more than i can mentally count that are outstanding and not in any glossy mag that I have seen or heard of.

The biggest curse we as humans all have is the notion "the grass is always greener". It is bullshit, the grass is green wherever you are, you just need to lose the boredom you have developed for your regular patch and relearn it's new secrets again.

NAGG
07-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Thinking back over the past 30 odd years of really serious fishing addiction, the stages back in the early decade or so I was a magaholic......gleaned a fair bit from them, but soon found that the mag was lack-lustre to when you actually go to the places and experience it for yourself. Many of the "must go to" places, whilst inspiring, are less productive and enjoyable as the places you do not find in the mags. The places that do not get the mentions are the real gems, the places you discover yourself and work out for really good results. It amazes me still just how close to Brisbane these places are. I have 4 outstanding local creek areas that are seldom visited that really turn on the goods and all within 30 minutes of Petrie. In C Qld and FNQ and the Gulf I have more than i can mentally count that are outstanding and not in any glossy mag that I have seen or heard of.

The biggest curse we as humans all have is the notion "the grass is always greener". It is bullshit, the grass is green wherever you are, you just need to lose the boredom you have developed for your regular patch and relearn it's new secrets again.

Gee .... I dunno - I love fishing new destinations & trying to unlock their secrets - its a real buzz!!!
I used to play a fair bit of golf ...... & over a 15 year period I was a member at 4 different courses ....... & even in that period on my RDO's or Sundays would go and play at other courses open days! - Variety is the spice of life

Being able to read a location like a book - pull fish eventually gets a bit oh hum - dont ya reckon! -

Yep .... the grass will always be greener elsewhere

Chris

Mike Delisser
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I guess I could be accused of bias but I recon $3.50 for a copy of Bush n' beach isn't too bad for what you get. That's what's I pay for 1 small takaway coffee. Keith Stratford's and The Chief's stories alone make that worthwile as they always contain alot more detail about baits, lures, rigs and locations than they put in their Ausfish reports. I managed to get my PB jewie, flathead and threadie by following the info in their columns. And I prob find I refer to the tide and moon guide in the magazine a few times each month as well.

Also I don't buy it very often but I recon F & B Magazine contains some pretty good technical info on boats and outboards fron time to time.

Cheers
Mike D

larry1950
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
QFM &B&B monthly but my biggest problem is buying rods and reels from either trading post or eBay.....I think I have a problem.but I love it.

wayno60
12-07-2011, 02:21 PM
None.....i get all my info off here and/or ill go to a shop to see what ever it is im looking for in the flesh.

BigE
16-07-2011, 05:08 AM
F&B and the annuals BB QFM and a Trailer boat / Trailer boat fisherman every now and then. what can i say ......... Im a consumer & i like the ads :)

BigE

sarg
16-07-2011, 09:01 AM
I buy B&B only but you would kidding to think that some of the journos in B&B arent getting the tackle/lures they are using for free, its not just the glossy journos that are sponsored.

PS i'm also a sucker for any mag that mentions Jack on the front cover.

tenzing
16-07-2011, 09:39 AM
I get away with spending a few hundred a year as I like to have fresh mags in our reception area.
Generally all by subscription. It sure is nice to see a new F&B or one of those come in with the mail.
Brendan

FNQCairns
17-07-2011, 09:22 AM
1000+ and 5 votes ATM MMmmm have the name of a good councilor if any of those voters PM.. he he!

Matt_Campbell
29-07-2011, 06:42 PM
1000+ and 5 votes ATM MMmmm have the name of a good councilor if any of those voters PM.. he he!

How easy is it to get to see this "counsellor" FNQ? If he/she is your counsellor then it may be difficult to get an appointment...

FNQCairns
30-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks Mat I had become to doubt i would publicly flush one of those voters out ;D.

MudRiverDan
02-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I spend about $20.00 a year on them.
Can't say they ever helped me catch a fish.

Had to laugh when I bought three magazines in a pack for $8.00 two of which were ''Saltwater Fishing''.
Well I found out why they were going cheap! They had the same bloke on the cover..

Some guy who caught some big fish off the rocks with soft plastics, the cover story was "Softies off the rocks", then on the next magazine they had the same chap holding a greenback Tailor, story was "Trophy Tailor!!", seems "Dennis the German" could actually catch some story worthy fish and had the
cameras clickin and the editor so excited he feature the same guy two months running.

They must have thought better of it since the fish were most probably caught within a few days time frame and sold the issues off on the
cheap in a sealed bag.

Still not bad magazine at all, but not a good one, so many magazines these days follow the same formula.

Then there is "Bush and Beach" that has all these local fishos contributing, and some of the stories... well you know there isn't shit on the bite and they are just
blowing wind.

But I guess that's life, the fish don't always play the game and either does the weather.