PDA

View Full Version : Tournament boats?

TopBhoy
27-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Anyone know much or have views on Tournament boats?

http://www.tournamentpleasureboats.com.au/tournament-pleasure-boats.htm

In particular the 1750 sized craft? It doesn't have the hard style cockpit which I would like to have so to give more protection from the elements but I can't seem to see to many of them within my budget! The Tournament looks to be a reasonable compromise and I think that a boat of a couple of years old would be in my budget - and these do seem to be mostly located in QLD.

Not exactly sure the difference yet between the 1750 Tournament and the 1750 Runabout other than the Tournament is heavier.

Cheers

fat-buoy
28-06-2011, 09:30 AM
I would give one of my nuts for a Tournament 1900.. love em. ... just don't have the $$$ to get one :(

Lancair
28-06-2011, 02:05 PM
I have a Tournament 1800, I LOVE IT.

I had some major teething problems with the boat initially but was all sorted out eventually.

The 1750 Tournament is a Cuddy cab, whereas the runabout is more ski/pleasure/cruising boat type setup. The 1800 is a tad longer but about 200+mm wider and has heaps more floor space than the 1750. I test drove both and it was chalk and cheese in seway chop, the 1800 is bigger and heavier and rides much much nicer IMHO.

TopBhoy
28-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the response guys. As nice as the 1900 looks (from watching the DVD) it is probably a bit bigger than I want to go (and more $$$) but the 1800 may not be (which isn't on the DVD). How much more $$$ is the 1800 over the 1750 is the question?

fisho8
28-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I was very close to buying one of these but ended up sticking with the same brand of boat I initially had. I was loloking at the 2000 Bluewater a mate of mine has a 2000 Bluewater which I go out on and it is a great fishing boat as well as lesiure boat. I looked at both the 1800 and 1900 at the tinnie and tackle show this year and found the to be a great looking boat to. I had the Whittley clearwater 1750 with a 115 Opti it was easy to launch on your own had good fishing space and so on and was overall a good fishing rig for the money the only downside was it was a very hard ride in the rough stuff hence the reason I sold it and upgraded to the 2100 Clearwater walkaround. Basiacally it comes down to how far you want to travel and what you want out of the boat performace wise with good fishability I can say these Tornament boats are really good quality for the $$. If I had my time over again I would have more than likely gone up to a 1900 but I found it silly at the time paying another 8-10k for another 1.5 feet. There is a big boat show coming up in august at the convention centre and I know for a fact that all the dealers put together boat show specials. so I would try and hang off till then but I would go as big as I could possibly tow depending on what car or 4WD you have as a tow vehicle. Good hunting mate all I can say is there is a shitload of boats out there for sale you might be surprised how much you can pick a 18-19ft boat up for. If you want to run with one of these go and have a look in Australian Marine Centre in Springwood and ask for a guy named Chris I was speaking with him on a few occasions and he seemed to be a nice bloke.

TopBhoy
28-06-2011, 10:11 PM
I had a look on the web earlier and I think a new 1800 is out of my budget. It must be a relatively new model as its not included on the DVD I was given at the Melbourne boat show. It might be me worth holding off to see prices of a used, low hour boat come in at. Having been looking tentatively for a few weeks. I see prices definitely softening and for the right boat at the right price, would travel interstate and make a weekend break out of it. I'm in no hurry, finish work in 2 weeks time, off for a months holiday and then starting a new job some time after - plenty enough on my plate to occupy my time.

It does seem from your opinions that getting a Tournament wouldn't let me down and worth keeping on 'the list'.

fisho8
28-06-2011, 10:39 PM
What price range are you looking in mate. I did my head in looking at all the differant boats becuase there are so many differant brands out there. These are a good boat but you do not have to go new Whittley do a 1900 here are a couple of examples not a bad boat for the money these ones are used and the prices would be negocible to http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10534061 this is the white hull and this is the black sided hull http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10239953 this second one is running a 140hp 4 stroke and has been for sale for a while It seems to be in good condition fron the photos. There second hand but also way cheaper and bigger than the 1800 tornament. the 1750,1900 and the 2100 WA were the most popular on the clearwater range.

TopBhoy
29-06-2011, 12:50 PM
What price range are you looking in mate. I did my head in looking at all the differant boats becuase there are so many differant brands out there. These are a good boat but you do not have to go new Whittley do a 1900 here are a couple of examples not a bad boat for the money these ones are used and the prices would be negocible to http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10534061 this is the white hull and this is the black sided hull http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-for-sale/boatdetails.aspx?R=10239953 this second one is running a 140hp 4 stroke and has been for sale for a while It seems to be in good condition fron the photos. There second hand but also way cheaper and bigger than the 1800 tornament. the 1750,1900 and the 2100 WA were the most popular on the clearwater range.

Thanks...those look decent enough:P I guess you may be able to negotiate a few grand off those wanted prices.

Ideally, I'm looking at around $30k hence a low hours Tournament 1750 would be feasible. I baulk as the price of the boat nears $40k so I don't think that is for me. If a suitable 1800 sized boat was available in my cost range, so much the better8-). This would not include some cash set aside for buying safety equipment and upgrading electrics and accessories. I'm not quite so sure that I would want a 1900 sized vessel...my main focus is not to be fishing far offshore and I imagine this sized boat would cost more in terms of fuel use and certainly mooring/storage fees and/or a larger car.

fisho8
29-06-2011, 03:09 PM
All good that is why I asked what your price range was 30k will buy you a good boat I know of a dealer up at Burpengary that has a Quintrex 600 offshore in his yard for about 32 which I am sure he would let it go for about the 30 mark the name of the dealership is brisbane Yamaha I think. All I can say is shop around something will be bound to come up.