PDA

View Full Version : mackay &` whitsunday sooty grunter

dallas90
25-06-2011, 01:53 PM
im heading out tommorrow in search of my first sooty. spots i have in mind are the upper reaches of st helens and murray creek and the oconnell river. any one know if im on the right track or are there more productive spots??. also what lures work best??, i plan to use the same lures and plastic that i do for bass down south. any help would be much appreciated.

cheers,

dallas

Neil C
26-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Hi Dallas

Not too sure you'll find many Sooties in the systems you mentioned, there are some but your more likely to find the odd Jack or Tarpon.

The freshwater reaches above the Dumbleton Weir in the Pioneer Rv which flows through Mackay has good Sootie populations as does the Proserpine Dam. If your able to travel a bit further away then Eungella Dam has healthy stocks.

Both Teemburra Dam and Kinchant Dam can be great for Sooties when using surface lures first thing in the morning.

Hope this helps and you get that first one soon - you'll be hooked.

Neil :)

dallas90
28-06-2011, 05:59 PM
thanks mate i ended up going behind the melba house and marian and got 2 around 35cms.i didnt realise that sooty grunter were stocked in the rivers and creeks, and those three creeks i planned to go to wernt. yea keen to have a crack at kinchant or eungella once all this wind and rain passes.

dallas

sooty
28-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Head West young man, the Fitzroy basin creeks over the range hold a population of Sooties and Saratoga.
Pm me if you want want some more info.
Kev