PDA

View Full Version : Bimini Twist out wide, I seeeee RED!

four_button_arnie
22-06-2011, 08:42 PM
Hey guys time for another little trip report out of my Yalta 555HC Bimini Twist;D. On this trip I had my cousin Jacob and good mate and colleague Rob. A bit of a later start was needed as Rob and I had night shift on Monday night finishing at 6am. This got us on the water at 0715hrs. Launching at the new Gladstone boat ramp, which is bloody unreal! Pontoon, big lights, wash down bay, and the best bit no run from the river like the other ramp. The down side is the slow run through Gladstone marina as it is all 6knt. To help the time go quicker, the new Fusion sound system was cranked up and as we hit the harbour, ACDC ‘You Shook Me All Night Long’:guitarist: (Live edition of course!) blasting at full noise, love it!

(cruising out)

Great run out, nil swell or chop and as we hit the outer islands we where greated with a mill pond, awesome! Our first point of call was a little section of reef on out way east, squid and pillies where dropped and good sized RTE started hitting the deck with ease, Jacob hammered his first Coronation trout. We played for half an hour or and then continued the areas that would hopefully produce.

We headed to a spot out wide past the islands, to search an area (10sqkm) that was very kindly suggested to me. We found heaps of bait hanging off some good bottom and dropped lines down, plenty of hits but nothing substantial, under sized Green Job fish. We would have kept hitting the area but the men in grey suits came to play. It was really cool, there was a school of bronzies sitting under the boat while Jacob was playing with one of their mates the new HDS10 captured some great shots of them lurking around. The big arches on the left and near the surface are the sharkies.

With the undertakers giving us a hard time we pulled in and headed to a search area 10 or so miles away. On our way to the area a rise appeared on the sounder so we stopped for a look, 65m of water below us and the sounder was showing some very interesting things. The type of ground looked right, the arches looked right, and the bait looked spot on. Dropping down slabs of hussar on our first drift, all three of us sat in anticipation. BANG triple hook up! Holy Sh*t this is mental, mine was the first to the deck, an undersized Red, good start. Jacob after a long battle had a great RED 5-6kg model at the boat, as the net was been readied, the hook just fell out of his mouth and down the depths he went once more. GUTTED. Rob pulled his RED on board a nice specimen around 7kg.

(Robs RED)

We continued the drift finding more reds, well hooking and been smoked by more reds. I landed my first legal RED, right on the line for him! We sounded up a good ledge and Rob and I immediately hooked up to what turned out to be 2 nice Coral Trout, again another bonus as it was FINALLY my first trout.

(My first Trout)
(Double hook-up Trout)

We had now been fishing for an hour or so and the bite was slowing down, mmmmm need some thing to spice the show up. Now I don’t normally listen to music while fishing but I thought it was needed, so, Split Enz ‘I see Red’ was cranked! Much to our delight Jacob’s rod then bucked and the saragosa started to scream, Jacob then proceeded to play yet another RED for what seemed like eternity, finally it hit the deck, 75cm long and guess weight around 9kg.

(Jacobs wicked RED)
(Jacobs RED)

The bite went quite so we headed to shallow water and kept the esky count up with RTE and another trout and a Maori cod. Love it. We where going to stay overnight but we where buggered, the esky was full and a sneaky breeze was up so we made the decision to slowly cruise back to Gladstone for a hot shower and a warm bed.

(Final Esky)

(Holding up the boys nice REDS!)

All up another great trip out the reef, at least I know what to look for we chasing those nasty RED critters. Thanks for reading another Josh novel,

*Forgot to mention we where using the PEtackle Reefmaster Deep V 6/0's on this trip (as we always do) super big super sharp and bloody cheap, good stuff!

Cheers guys
Joshhttp://ausfish.com.au/vforum/images/misc/pencil.png

outwide1
22-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Good going guys,my mouth is watering looking at those trout.
Still think there the best tasting fish out there.
Nice haul.
Cheers Mick

TREVELLY
22-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Great post Josh - thanks for sharing.

I like your way of encouraging them to up the speed limit in the harbour too - subtle.

Always nice to be spoilt occassionally to great fishing conditions and good fish.

MINE09
22-06-2011, 10:23 PM
Hey Josh, nice work, great photos.....................looking forward to getting both yaltas out chasing reddies:)

Cheers George

Lucky_Phill
22-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Sorry I couldn't make it out that way Josh. Had to make sure the big rig was ready and ran out of time.

Looks like you got it sorted though.

Maybe get out next month ????

Cheers Phill

Bull
23-06-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the report Josh.
You guys certainly had a great day out. Fantastic weather and fish it doesnt get much better.

Cheers Bull

thelump
23-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Great report and great photos. Thanks mate

Tickleish
23-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Great report thanks Josh, by the way what brand bait board is that & is it powdercoated steel?

four_button_arnie
23-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Great report thanks Josh, by the way what brand bait board is that & is it powdercoated steel?

Hey there, na its powder coated aluminum made by Baitmate, highly recommended, super sturdy doesn't move at all, cost $330 delivered.
http://www.baitmate.com.au/

Phill, sounds good mate, we will get out and hit it soon hey, finally nice to see some red hit the deck!

Josh

tropicrows
23-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Great report and some excellent photos. Thanks for sharing

trymyluck
23-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Mate, how was the trip out and Bimini Twist will be well and truely experienced by Sept. Hopefully, 2deep will be a canoe no longer next week. Goes in monday to a new Honda 90 fitted.

Mark

byron_moses
23-06-2011, 06:24 PM
great read mate well done a nice bag there

four_button_arnie
23-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Hey Mark, beautiful conditions out there! Great too hear 2Deep is getting a sweet upgrade! Super keen for the meet and great! Team BIMINI TWIST will be there with bells on!

cheers
Josh