PDA

View Full Version : Steering troubles no more. Thanks Ausfish

2iar
19-06-2011, 09:14 AM
Hi All,

I used to be a reasonably frequent poster but life's kind of got in the way the past few years. I hadn't even logged on in a while and when I saw my subscription automatically renewed and my bank account debited, I must admit I questioned the value of supporting a site I never had time to visit...

Similarly, the boat's not been in the water for >6 months. I had the engine serviced in the hope I'd get it wet in July. However, because of lack of use, the bloody steering had also seized. The mobile mechanic who had serviced the motor reckoned I would be up for a new steering cable and the motor would need to come off which meant it would have to go in to the shop.

But "hang on" I thought. "Let's have a look at what the good people of Ausfish have to say". A couple of beers and a quick search of the archives had me pointed in the right direction and about half an hour later, she's all good and at no cost. Some of the relevant threads were a bit old but they seemed to be saying I would have been up for ~$350 for parts and labour if I'd just followed the mechanic's advice. I also now know how to prevent it happening again and I'll build it in to my maintenance routine...

I might not manage to get here as often as I used to but my subscription continues to pay for itself with information such as the above. So, thanks Ausfish and all of the kind folk who contribute their knowledge and experience to the site. And a quick "hello" to the friends I've made here. I hope you're all well, you're a bunch of legends.

Good luck,
Mike

Lucky_Phill
19-06-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the thread Mike.

I agree about the amount of knowledge you can glean from these pages. As you said, it can save you money and time.

Mate, about time you came back up to the 1770 M & G in September.

cheers Phill

Dignity
20-06-2011, 08:35 PM
Welcome back Mike, having been waiting for that phone call when you would be up my way, guess you have been busy.