PDA

View Full Version : Noble 685 and ABP numbers/Survey

PeterGar
16-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Hello all

Does anyone knows anyone that has a Noble 685 in Survey or has had a local assessment of the ABP rating.

My boat is ABP plate is rated for 6 persons. If I use the Waterways guidelines, the boat, should be able to take 8-9 PAX in enclosed or calm waters but if there is a ABP fitted the law says that you must adhere to the ABP number.

Noble are comfortable with 8 inshore but I am worried about getting my chops busted by Waterways or insurance cancelled if I "overload". I can understand (and would agree with this 6 for offshore) but it is probably a little conservative for river and Sydney Harbour social use.

I see 7m dive boats with 10-12 divers and gear operating out of South West Rocks and other places on the coast and am figuring that they must be in survey and therefore licensed for more PAX.

Does anyone know any owners I can talk with with boats in survey, marine surveyors or architects that are experienced in this area that may be able to assist.

Thanks in advance
PeterGar

Smithy
17-06-2011, 09:10 AM
I think you will be stuck with the ABP number. I don't know of any Noble international ones built in survey and I am thinking it would be impossible now they are built overseas, (can't see them flying a surveyor over to tick off on items as they progress or whatever). I know of a couple of boats in survey from when the Nobel family were still building them in Clontarf. One is a Qld DPI research boat under 6m and the other is the 7.2m or whatever it is that Damon Olsen is using in the coral sea for Nomad Sportfishing Charters.

PeterGar
17-06-2011, 07:53 PM
Hey Smithy

Thanks for the info. That is a great lead in itself and will followup.

I guess i need to understand the process and commercial operators like yourself are all well informed on anything safety so value the input.

I am thinking that if I can find a local built boat in survey I will know if it is worth pursuing.

Cheers
Pete