PDA

View Full Version : GPS update speed question?

GLXMAN
15-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Hi Guys,
I'm told there is a variation on how fast a GPS updates between makes and between stand alone and GPS/Sounder/chart plotter combo's

Currently have a Humminbird 385ci, when motoring slow to get on a fishing mark, by the time the GPS updates, I'm past the mark and end up driving around in circles,

I'm thinking the only way to get right on the mark is to throw a marker buoy in on the way past

Are some faster than others? Or, is everybody finding this the same?

Regards,
Gary

Midnight
15-06-2011, 10:36 PM
G'day Gary,
I have found Lowrance plotters to be the best by far in this area.

I currently have a Furuno and hate it, the Navman ones are the same as your Hummingbird and the Raymarine not much better.

I haven't seen the new Simrad plotters in action, but I think they are as good as the Lowrance.

Cheers,
Myles

GLXMAN
15-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Tks Myles,
I guess I will at least be able to use my navionics card in the Lowrance,
The best GPS I had in the past was a Garmin but I think they take a different card, and as you would be aware, the cards are not cheap
Regards,
Gary

Muddy Toes
15-06-2011, 11:42 PM
I think there is a definate variation between refresh rates on your screen between GPS's.My old navman was pretty slow compared to the Lowrance hds7m i had in a previous boat but the Garmin 4010 i have now would have the fastest screen refresh rate i've had in a plotter.
Just a bit of a tip too....its far easier to anchor or hit a mark when the plotter is on its 'north up' orientation rather than its 'course up' orientation if that helps mate.

GLXMAN
16-06-2011, 10:53 AM
Just a bit of a tip too....its far easier to anchor or hit a mark when the plotter is on its 'north up' orientation rather than its 'course up' orientation if that helps mate.
Tks for the tip, will give it a go
Regards,
Gary

thylacene
16-06-2011, 12:06 PM
From my limited experience the Garmin units are very good in this respect. As to cards, we have a card and there is little value added. The cards don't give you much but the satellite photo overlays do make a pretty screen. They might offer a bit more in populated areas. we rely on the sounder functions as the accuracy is only around 3 - 18 metres depending on what satellites you can see (and there is still speculation around "built in offset by the us military".

I would recommend getting hold of a handheld 70 series (colour screen) to try. The new fixed units are faster so if you like the handheld, you will be happy with a fixed unit. PM me if you would like to know about some tech capability that I choose not to put on a public forum.

Cheers

Thy

I'd rather be fishing

GLXMAN
16-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Hi Thy,
My mates hand held does update a little faster but I like the combo's with the larger screen, suits my geriatric vision,
Regards,
Gary