PDA

View Full Version : Haines 560sf vs Seafarer Viking 5.5

Pointyfish
14-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Hi, I'm in the market for a 18ft fiberglass runabout. Have been considering the haines 560sf but have come across a seafarer viking for a pretty good deal.

I have found a lot written about the haines in reguards to its ride and handling abilities but surprisely little about the viking ( little of any real use anyway ).

Would like to hear from any one who has had experience with both of these hulls. I'm interested in the ride and handling abilities as I will be using the boat for light - medium tackle billfishing off the sunny coast and trips out to the banks etc, probably chasing blues on the better days.

Not worried about the finish of the hulls etc and are not going into the power options ( both powered by same outboard anyway ). Purely interested in a comparison of handling abilities.

Thanks

stue2
14-06-2011, 11:12 AM
two good boats. I have been in both. But not recently and not within a short time of each other. I think the Haines may have been slightly smoother and the viking more stable

Which one did you like standing in the best?

Which one has the best bimini

Which one has best settup in the cockpit

Which one has the best electrics.

I don't think you will have any trouble with either.

Cheers Stu

Pointyfish
14-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks Stu, haven't had the chance to see a viking in the flesh yet. The one I'm refering to will require a flight to check out. Looking at the photos of the viking it looks more of a inshore/ bay boat to me but photos can be decieving. The larger seafarers I have been in have been very impressive hulls.

As for the haines, I have fished out of them before and have found them to be great boats but as you said they can't the most stable boats going. Shouldn't be a problem for me, I normally fish a small crew, often by myself due to my work roster.

I will be replacing the electrics in either boat. As for the general fit out, I fell its better to concerntrate on the right hull first and bring it up to spec rather than trying to make the inferior hull fell more comfortable.

I think I might go with the haines. Pretty safe bet.

stue2
14-06-2011, 12:50 PM
Both are good bets but the closer one is what I did and I ended up with a Vagabond only 120km away.
As far as the Vag goes, it is the best boat I have fished out of for room and stabillity. That should stir a few up. Ii would have been very happy with a Haines classics but it was just too far away.

Good luck, Your decission will be a good one.

Cheers, Stu

Pointyfish
14-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Love the vagabonds. Need long legs to pee over the side though! if you have the none self-draining deck any way.

Chimo
14-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Hey pointy

Your right about the Vag sides, I guess thats what 4 lt ice cream buckets are for.

Cheers
Chimo

stue2
14-06-2011, 01:44 PM
They get a wet sponge in one and and the other is often just wet

ozscott
14-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Yep freeboard in them is pretty bloody good. I think the second post noting the ride of the Haines slightly sharper but stability of the Seafarer better probably applies to most of each of the Haines and Seafarer comparisons from my limited exposure to both, having owned both and been in others, and from what I hear and read.

Cheers

robothefisho
15-06-2011, 06:46 PM
Haines will ride slightly better, barely noticable to the general fisho. Will be far more unstable at rest. A great boat.

The seafarer will be far more stable, still rides great and probably has the slightly better build quality.

I'd have either boat without thinking twice. But i'd probably pick the seafarer.

Smithy
17-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Never been in either the 560 or 580 HHs but would love to just to see how they go. I have done a lot of hours in a Viking though. The HHs will have legendary ride though I edged in front of one of the local mackerel pros on a long haul trip here side by side, my 6m Stabi with tabs V an old fella in his 560 and I wasn't pushing it which surprised me. The other pro here with the 580 I have yet to run side by side with as we have always been running different angles to him to different places. They have customised them up a lot with regard live bait tanks and fish boxes etc. to make them work for them in their situations. Fishability wise I am guessing the Seaspearer will be miles in front if you do livebaiting with the factory fitout. The live bait tanks on Seafarers are always a sensible size as are the covering board widths for mounting rod holders, downrigger bases etc., etc., every which way. The HH will have skinny gunnels you are not going to sit on as easily as the Seafarer. The Viking is great at rest and has a good size cockpit for its size but that means it is a cuddy and you are way up the front when travelling so they can feel pretty hard riding for a glass boat. They can also sea spear through the wave in front downsea if you don't back off the throttle at the right time. Usually in short sharp wind generated seas like arvo NEers or in Moreton Bay etc. in wind V tide situations. The Seafarer will have tonnes of dash space in the middle and over toward the passenger side to mount big electronics, not sure of the setup of the HHs behind that tiny little windscreen. The Viking is big enought that tabs are a sensible option for them to get the best out of them. How important is sleeping on it? That would rule out the Viking. They are 100% just a cuddy cab.