PDA

View Full Version : Propsaver Plus

TREVELLY
13-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Went to the tinnie and tackle show and got a propsaver from Solas stand and added it to my 175hp Suzuki.

After a few trips I noticed I had hit the ramp driving onto trailer - need to avoid that more in future.

Anyway the end of propsaver was mushroomed some and looking shaggy.

I cut up and added some nylon cutting board shaped to bottom - not pretty but functional.

Try not to hit ramp in future but addition is more robust than previous.

I kept some of propsaver to sit behind nylon block to take shear from screws and cut back enough to allow the nylon cutting board to be screwed against the bottom propsaver side fins - looks like it shoud work okay.

Dignity
13-06-2011, 06:41 PM
TREVELLY,
Cut the excess length of screws off and wil look and perform much better I would think. Never thought of a prop saver for offshore work, is it really needed.

TREVELLY
14-06-2011, 05:55 AM
Yep, fair call. The screws are half embedded in the side face plastic so rather than cut off I will scuff up the plastic locally and put on some pigmented black resin to cover the screws and just anchor them better.

The prop-saver is worthwhile where ever you find some flotsam and as for offshore Dignity - just troll a current line.

I also saw the attachment as some buffer for the skeg at the ramp - did not really want to use it for that but have done already - so it works there alone.

The Solas people also claim it will improve performance - I haven't seen any improvement, but similarly no decrease either.

So $80 for some extra protection - it works for me.