PDA

View Full Version : DI Reds and Stuff

vertico
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Fished South of DI for a reasonable bag of Reds and mixed reefies. Best baits were Fresh whole Sea Mullet. Anyone who knows me will know the rigs we were using so there is no use repeating myself again but one of the 12kg reds came on a 2oz Bucktooth Jig with a little WA Pilchard for bait. There were gold spot cod on every spot we fished and eventually became a nuisance as we were only really chasing snapper and Red Emperor. I landed a 55lb fish which was over 1.2m in length so it was successfully released and it powered back down into the depths appearing to be very healthy. I landed my PB DI Red emperor at 24 lb and Anthony landed his best at 35lb, a top fish and I was happy to net this fish despite a few anxious moments boatside. All fish were landed within 10mile of wolf Rock and this was the best DI trip ive ever been involved in. Most fish were landed on bait schools so the fish probably will have moved on by next week. We only got 4 reds but all were quality, 8kg , 11kg , 12kg and the PB 15kg.
http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/4818/redbucktoothheadondsc90.jpg
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/2825/redbucktoothdsc9056.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/523/pbreddsc9080.jpg
http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/7558/seanreddsc9085.jpg
http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/2023/snapperdsc9063.jpg
http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8733/seancoddsc9069.jpg

No Fear
12-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Those bucktooth jigs are certainly
tough!!!!
Great report and good pics!!! Hope to
get out there for a virgin voyage as soon as the weather comes good!!!

Spot82
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Thanks again for an awesome trip! Glad the weather was kind enough to us even though it was freezing!

dayoo
12-06-2011, 04:23 PM
Nice report and pics. I better order some more hooks for the jigs.;D
My hot lips have also seen plenty of action off Double Island where the local pro caught a 36kg spanish mac on a 3/4oz hotlips with two stinger hooks attached:o

Cheers
Barry

trueblue
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
you certainly have them worked out there Sean...........

vertico
12-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Sorry barry but these jigs were moulded on the sunshine coast, and are slightly different to the originals...

dayoo
12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Sorry barry but these jigs were moulded on the sunshine coast, and are slightly different to the originals...

Don't be sorry at least I can now concentrate on my own product.

Cheers Barry

Killing time
12-06-2011, 05:25 PM
Good stuff sean a better bag then when clint and myself use to go love the cod .

Lucky_Phill
12-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys.

Anthony is all smiles in every pic, but Seano..... crack a smile man...lol

Cheers Phill

vertico
12-06-2011, 05:44 PM
so he should be smiling....he has got me as captain....

Lucky_Phill
12-06-2011, 06:10 PM
That is true Sean. The fisho is only as good as the skipper. OH, and put some shoes on.... ?

all rugged up etc and wearing bloody thongs.... bbbrrrrrrr !!!!

LP

marto78
12-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys.

Anthony is all smiles in every pic, but Seano..... crack a smile man...lol

Cheers Phill

That is Sean smiling, you want to see his face when he drops a fish :bigcry:

Nice fish boys!

Spot82
12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
http://img831.imageshack.us/img831/9339/skipperseandsc9061.jpg
Finding Reds is serious work! Skipper Sean hard at work :) I think he calls this look Magnum haha :P

Haha great call Marto! We both dropped a couple of good fish during the trip, but were fishing a bit under gunned when it happened! The look on the faces and the words said are always classic!

indy
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
Where did my post go?????????????????????????????

Ill Try again that cod looks like it could swallow seans head lol,
well done on the pb's guy's nice fish
see if this one gets deleted

Dame00
13-06-2011, 12:14 PM
great reds boys would love to be catching them closer to home .

Reefmaster
13-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Nice fish boys well done. That 10 mile area out from Wolf Rock sure does fish well::);D

Greg

Bull
13-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Great report and fish guys.

For you two to get pb's it must of been a fantastic trip. When can we see another one of your videos.

Cheers Bull

vertico
13-06-2011, 05:40 PM
Bull, we have got video of the trip so it will be edited and up this week.
Sean

popgun19
13-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Hi Sean / Anthony,
Some nice fish and pics there boys, well done.
I have bought a few of Barry's glow Jig heads without the fly material on them. ( the ones you use to buy and modify with fly material and call buck tooth jigs.) I have had a close look at your pics and the first two pics look like Anthony has used Barry's jig heads ? The fifth picture (Anthony's Snapper) looks like could be your new style jighead has been used? Can you please post a picture of you new style bucktooth jig, the sizes that are available and the prices. Also do your new bucktooth jigs have a glow head ?

Thanks for the report.

Cheers,
Brian

Spot82
14-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Hi Brian,

The mould for the new jig heads is very similar to Barry's jig heads. The first pics were a 2ounce jig head built on a 7/0 owner hook. In the snapper pic I can't remember if i had put on a new jig head as I did get reefed by a solid fish during the day and lost the first jig, The eyes have fallen off the jig in the snapper pic so I am assuming it is the same jig head that i started with, but by that stage had caught a dozen fish so was looking a bit worse for wear!

There is a 5/0 size owner needle point hook which some of the lighter jigs are also built on. Both hooks seem very good and very strong and accounted for some good fish! All of the jigs still have the glow head. I'll let Sean get back to you on prices.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

dayoo
14-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Hi Brian,

The mould for the new jig heads is very similar to Barry's jig heads. The first pics were a 2ounce jig head built on a 7/0 owner hook. In the snapper pic I can't remember if i had put on a new jig head as I did get reefed by a solid fish during the day and lost the first jig, The eyes have fallen off the jig in the snapper pic so I am assuming it is the same jig head that i started with, but by that stage had caught a dozen fish so was looking a bit worse for wear!

There is a 5/0 size owner needle point hook which some of the lighter jigs are also built on. Both hooks seem very good and very strong and accounted for some good fish! All of the jigs still have the glow head. I'll let Sean get back to you on prices.

Hope this helps.

Anthony

I have been using Owner 3/0, 5/0 and 7/0 Saltwater hooks in my jigs for the past 4 months.
The 3D eyes will fall off unless you use the right superglue and two pack coating.

Cheers
Barry

bondy99
14-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Good effort, nice fish, Do most of you blokes work in the mines?

Never caught a decent red so I have no idea what they are like at the end of a hook or eating wise. If it's like pearl perch then I'll pass thanks.

vertico
14-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Its the same mould just been modified to suit my needs

Spot82
17-06-2011, 01:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2MFatIK5Mo

Video of some of the trip :) Enjoy

Bull
17-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks Anthony & Sean for the great video.
I look forward to watching you guys pulling quality fish. Congratulations on the PB s

Cheers Bull

No Fear
17-06-2011, 03:31 PM
Really setting the standard you boys.......awesome video - although I feel a bit queezy with all the rocking!!!
Good stuff!!!

Greg P
17-06-2011, 03:56 PM
Pretty sure Sean has frost bite so no smiles ;D;D;D

Nice stuff guys

jtpython
18-06-2011, 06:52 AM
I'm starting to think you boys don't work at all
Great pics video and reports ............ Still slaying on the reds
JT

lightsout76
21-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Cheers for the report, pics and video love the extra time and effort you guys put in with the photos and video.

Getting a little bit of pre comp training in at D.I........ it looks like it's gonna be a bit freezing at this years fishing comp that's for sure.

Thanks again!!
Leon.

Spot82
22-06-2011, 06:59 PM
Cheers for the report, pics and video love the extra time and effort you guys put in with the photos and video.

Getting a little bit of pre comp training in at D.I........ it looks like it's gonna be a bit freezing at this years fishing comp that's for sure.

Thanks again!!
Leon.

Thanks for the kind comments Leon, much appreciated.

As for the comp, I think I may have peaked too early! two cracker reds in the one trip off ground where we wouldn't usually expect to find them, I think I may have used up all of my luck! It's definitely going to be cold and probably some nice foggy mornings which make making it out to the bar interesting!

Anthony

lightsout76
23-06-2011, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the kind comments Leon, much appreciated.

As for the comp, I think I may have peaked too early! two cracker reds in the one trip off ground where we wouldn't usually expect to find them, I think I may have used up all of my luck! It's definitely going to be cold and probably some nice foggy mornings which make making it out to the bar interesting!

Anthony

This'll be my first rainbow comp this year so hopefully the weather will be kind to us and going off your reports from last year, i'm just hoping that i don't have to do it as hard as you guys had to last year..... either way i'm just looking forward to having a week+ off work and getting out on the water.

Hopefully it'll be a good week regardless.

Cheers,
Leon.

jag078
03-07-2011, 08:35 PM
Some Very nice fish there guys ! Good work !

jag078
03-07-2011, 08:38 PM
Those sort of photos makes going to work all the much harder.

XtremeBoony
05-07-2011, 12:00 PM
great pics and reports fella's. It still looks like you can find the reds ay.... Video was top quality as well. The pic of sean with his game face on is a cracker.

cheers from boony