PDA

View Full Version : Off Moreton Saturday & Sunday

Ausfish
12-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Fishing the Redland bay comp. Not a lot to report, plenty of action on Saturday but very little to day. Heading back through the bar now, have decided to call it a day.

Jason (The Lump) got this cobia 23.8kg yesterday, he was the leader in the comp for about an hour. Got knocked off by a 24.8kg cobia. Lucky to get this one in the boat as Webby's gaff broke when we were trying to get Neil's cobia in the boat. We had to make a new gaff out of a 10/0 hook screwed to the gaff handle with some tape wrapped around it to stop the hook moving. Not pretty but it worked.

Thanks again to New Boats direct http://www.new-boats-direct.com.au for the use of the Glacier Bay 3480.

Ausfish
12-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Photo attached

Horse
13-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Thanks Steve and Webby for putting the trip together. The conditions were not kind to us but at least we were comfortable in the Glacier Bay:). The ability to make a cuppa or have a lie down in conditions that most boats would not be fishing in was a big bonus. Check out the live bait tank with the viewing window in the pic. It held about 60 yakkas for two days.:D
After having a look out on the 29s the decision was made to move in closer to Moreton and look for Cobes. I had a mark that has produced previously so we dropped our live baits down and set up a drift pattern to cover the ground.
Before too long my Fin Nor Ahab spin stick folds over and I'm onto a Cobe about 15kg or so:D. He came up to the boat early as Cobes do so Webby's gaff was grabbed only to find the head break off. The only landing net on board was suitable for pan sized Snapps and this things head could hardly fit into it:-X.
Jason had three attempts to net him but eventually the rest of the rig got caught in the net and the fish got into the motor and busted off:-?. It was my own fault sending a New Southwelshman to do a Queenslanders job. A bit silly really and almost like sending out a second rower to do a props job;D::).
Not long after this Jason hooks up on his TLD20/Livefibre setup and we start trying to jury rig a gaff. The improvised device worked a treat (with a Queenslander doing the deed). It was a nice fish but got pipped at the post for the days honors. It was probably the skinniest large Cobia I have ever seen. A good feed would have seen it in 1st place easily.
The second day was very quiet with only one small Snapper falling to the plastics and no Cobes to be found.
I think we all had a good time with plenty of laughs and war stories. It was great to catch up with Steve and Webby again and to meet Jason and Steve. Thanks again to Webby and Steve for pulling the trip together and especially to Di from New Boats Direct for providing our home away from home for the weekend.

jtpython
13-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Great read and geez u poor buggers having to be subjected to be in that little boat. Great work and the pics come up a treat .
JT

Horse
13-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Just a footnote. Jasons fish held second place for the comp so he scored a few nice prizes for his efforts. Not too shabby for a NSW even though he was pretty much carried by the QLD contingent on board. Top effort Jason

Ausfish
14-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Congrats Jason (The Lump) and thanks for donating a portion of your prize to next months competition.

Take this as a win while you can though as you will not get one on Wednesday night, QUEENSLANDER!!!!!

thelump
14-06-2011, 08:23 AM
A NSWelshmans version of the Tale:

A QLDer brought a gaff aboard a boat that would have struggled to lift a small bream even when it was not broken:o:
All QLDers were asked if they required any gear. Nah we have got it covered was the response.
The Nswelshman (always prepared) had the hardware to repair the gaff but was too busy fighting the biggest fish of the trip (Webby cough up 10 clams please) to fix it.
The NSWelshman also caught the only 2 fish of note on the Sunday.
The NSWelshman rested his body well throughout the trip so he could compete on both days (Webby was a no show on Sunday ;))
The NSWelshman won the trip.

All joking aside it was a fantastic trip and great to meet Horse and Steve Brown even if they were QLDers. Although Horse did admit he was born in NSW:o:o
Special thanks to Steve and Webby for the invite and I look forward to handing out more lessons in the future.

Ausfish
14-06-2011, 11:11 AM
Here is a couple of pics of the results board and the winning snapper

honda900
14-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Nice work Jase,

Keeping up the blues end.

Regards
HOnda.

webby
14-06-2011, 06:18 PM
Bloody ungrateful cockroaches.
He forgot to tell you, that we had 3 coffee's/lunch and a nanna nap while he tried fighting this fish.

But jokes aside, congrats mate and commiseration to Neil for loosing the winning fish ????
Lets see if we can get the 30ft world cat out for a day trip.

thelump
14-06-2011, 09:05 PM
Bloody ungrateful cockroaches.
He forgot to tell you, that we had 3 coffee's/lunch and a nanna nap while he tried fighting this fish.

But jokes aside, congrats mate and commiseration to Neil for loosing the winning fish ????
Lets see if we can get the 30ft world cat out for a day trip.

It did take a while didn't it. Mate that World Cat would be a weapon. I reckon she might just cruise a bit faster than 18knots. Just as long as it has a Club Lounge to rest on;)

Lucky_Phill
15-06-2011, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the report Steve.

Appears the big cat is well suited to a bit of rough stuff.

I might even have to take the opportunity to go for a spin.

Good work all round boys.

Cheers Phill

nigelr
15-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Some great fish on those leaderboards, thanks for posting everyone, great yarns and pics.

New Boats Direct
17-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Hi Guys

Glad you enjoyed fishing off "Party Ice". And thank you for the snapper from the last one!

Should have the 320EC World Cat ready for the next comp. She does 65kms per hour and turns on a sixpence. Might be a bit fast for the NSWelshman though? Getting Steve and Eileen out on her soon I hope. Maybe this Sunday if they aren't already booked. And yes Steve me and Eileen do want to fish......

Di