PDA

View Full Version : Who keeps their trailer boat in permanent storage or offsite from where they live?

goat boy
12-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I have a dilemma, for the last 2 1/2 years i've worked down in the Tweed area, renting a unit in Coolangatta. Now I'm lucky that with a bit of shuffling I can get my 4.6m runabout in the garage there. Cleaning isn't a prob as I work near a boat ramp so I have the facilities to do this any hour I want.
Now I love it so much here, when I have to leave at the end of the year I'm seriously thinking of selling my place at Capalaba and moving into a unit near the coast. This will probably mean putting a boat in some sort of storage (used frequenty of course). Who is in a similar position? and what do you think about it? tips?

ozscott
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Mate - the costs are insane. Some people would argue that this can be offset by trailer maintenance (or at least maintaining more than a ramp trailer) but for me its crazy. It also limits your ability to go elsewhere if you DONT maintain your trailer as a road reg trailer. Bays, racks, etc its all very expensive. For me to justify those costs it would need to be a boat that was way too big to be on a trailer in the first place.

Cheers

Chimo
12-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Ozscott is on the money. The solution is to sell what you have and buy a place that allows you to store on site.

Sell your place in Cap now and stick the proceeds into the bank thats going to be involved in your next purchase and then in 6 to 18 months time buy what you want where you want. The market is still to drop a fair bit; 20 to 40 % from what my bank manager mate and a few mates who are estate agents have shared; so wait, and then buy something with a land component and watch the value rise over the next 8 to 10 years. And have space to park and play with the current boat and the next bigger one too.

Cheers
Chimo

camboy
12-06-2011, 02:48 PM
I agree with the comments so far. I had my boat in permanent storage up until very recently, the cost was the killer at $170.00 per month and that was not under cover. Fortunately a mate purchased a large warehouse and it is now stored there secure and under cover at no cost.
Gumtree classifieds often have ads for people wishing to rent out storage and often at reasonable prices, You may be lucky to jag a spot for the right money.
Good luck,
Camboy

Almako
12-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Its not all that bad. I had mine on dry dock at east coast marina $990 for three months.
I'd phone half an hour before, i.e when i was leaving home, by the time i got there my boat was in the water ready to go.
When you get back they pull it out of the water and its just a matter of quickly washing it down, and then popping over to the yacht club for a beer before heading home. I find it's the trailer that takes most of my wash down time.
Now the bucks stacked up for me because i didn't have a car big enough to tow the boat. I would have had to buy a fair sized car/4x to tow the cc625 and just didnt have the money. I've now got the boat back home cause the company car i'm driving tow's it, and yes i'm enjoying being able to look after it a little better, but it takes way longer to clean cause the trailer requires washing down after every dip. Down side of having the trailer sit in the back yard for 6 odd months is the brake callipers needed the seals replaced as they jammed from no use.

goat boy
13-06-2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks guys, the reason I'm looking at selling is obviously to be closer to what I love. I have an acreage property at Capalaba so the maintenance time is quite lengthy, the time spent in a unit the last few years has made me appreciative of leisure time without the worry I should be doing something around the place. I'd be looking at putting a boat into something like one of those Fort Knox storage areas, that you can access 24/7, I'm aware you can get cheaper rates for long term occupation. It's an idea i'm trying to nut out by the end of the year, I don't really want to go into a house, a unit suits me more with the only drawback being space for a boat.

Chimo
13-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Hi GB
Here you go
A 2 min search and http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-tweed+heads-107413132

or if you dont want the pontoon try http://www.realestate.com.au/property-apartment-nsw-tweed+heads-107217798

or a bit cheaper with a deep tandem garage http://www.realestate.com.au/property-unit-nsw-tweed+heads-107385346

C
C