PDA

View Full Version : 1770 - Flat ocean and a few red fish

No Fear
12-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Hi all,

Sorry for the late report.
Headed up to 1770 last weekend to chase a few fish to fill the freezer as it had been some time since we had been out.
Arrived at our spot around Musgrave around 5am Saturday morning and at that stage the weather was good, and forecasted to get better.
First drop and I get smoked on the new shimano baitrunner so after the early morning start, everyone was awake after that.... put a few reefies in the esky during the morning including 3 stonker pearlies all around 65cm....the odd parrot,hussar, and red throat during the day, but we knew party time was that afternoon as we always find Musgrave fishes better in the afternoon, particularly between sun down and moon up.
We plodded around during the day enjoying the glorious conditions and found our spot at about 3pm and anchored up. ALthough it was a little bit early we prefer to drop the pick earlier to avoid spooking the fish during the prime time...
Sure enough coming around 5pm, the fishing started to heat up.....
Over the next couple of hours we boated 5 reds all between 7 and 10kgs, mostly taken on mullet but a few of the keeper hussar didnt make it to the esky either.....At this stage we were pretty stoked as this was a best catch of reds so far (quantity wise not size) and we were nackered after the early start so had a feed and a bit of a rest. Went to have a drop at around 9pm and the current was raging.....the ocean was flat but not even 48ounces of lead could get me to the bottom so it was time for a sleep-and boy what a sleep it was. The ocean was deadset millpond all night.... some of the best night conditions I've been in and it was probably rougher in the lagoon than out where we were...
Awoke Sunday morning for an exploratory tour of the islands as we were quite content with what we had and were keen to find some ground for next time.
Headed up to boult in search of the elusive coral trout that I have yet to catch . Found some good ground and great shows landing a couple more parrot, no solid rosy job fish, a few more redthroats and just a coronation trout but none of the coral variety.
In millpond conditions we done a lap of fitzroy as we have never been there, marked a few spots that looked likely and headed up with a nice full esky....
What a ripper trip....Great weather, my new torsa went like a dream, and the pe tackle flies continued to jag the big ones..... boat on the trailer and headed back to brissie.....no problems....
Well thats what we thought......lets just say the skippers trailer maintenance isnt exactly up to scratch (thats not me by the way, Im just the decky) and a few of the crossmembers (previously held together by rust) on the trailer decided that they didnt want to go back to Brissie...so the Childers servo was its drop off point, only to be towed for a pick up the following week....not the ending that we had forecasted and the skipper finally had to replace the crappy trailer so we'll be good for next time...I hope...
Sorry about the pics, forgot the camera and the iphone was all we had....Notice the millpond in the background

Dame00
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM
nice catch mate couldnt of got any flatter out there the current dropped off around 1030pm and we were getting to the bottom with almost no lead

XtremeBoony
12-06-2011, 11:08 AM
well done there no fear. An excellent variety of reefies and topped off with good size reds. Well done and thanks for the report.

cheers from boony

vertico
12-06-2011, 01:17 PM
welldone mate some good reds there
sean

No Fear
12-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey Dame00, where abouts were you fishing? Did you score any fish at night?
Thanks Boony and Seano.... The trout kills fly is the fly that caught my first red and even my mates are fans of that one as well...... My fave at the moment are the shrimp flies..... The red zebra accounted for all my fish.....must be the hand craftsmanship especially the positioning of the eyes.....
Seen a little picture of some red fish caught off DI this weekend.... Next good weekend we are going to have a crack....never been out there or over that bar so will be needing some handy information from a few wise heads!!!!!!!

vertico
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
no worries mate always welcome to some information but yerh we are not that wise :P

Dame00
16-06-2011, 08:16 PM
hey mate we were around bolt at night and ya got some good reds and big yellows .Im going to do a trip off Di my self in a week or so hopefully find some reds

vertico
17-06-2011, 10:44 PM
good luck dameo :P

lightsout76
21-06-2011, 07:19 PM
nice report mate good fish there for sure, gotta hate those trailer dramas, atleast it didn't happen at Gympie i've had 2 major trailer dramas just out of Gympie over the years and i'm starting to get a little bit superstitious about it, ha ha.

A mate of mine did an overnighter to fitzroy that same weekend said it was dead flatt alright wish i could've made the trip myself.

Cheers again for the report.
Leon.