PDA

View Full Version : stabi cracking up....

stinky-stabi
08-06-2011, 07:52 PM
just a warning for those people with new stabi's before your warranty runs out check under the floor as the welds on my 509(287hrs) have all split and come away from each other :o
boat has not been used in 8 mnths except on the lucky boogie boarders day ....
have just outlayed $2000 to get it fixed...to scared to look any further:-?
have heard of a few cracking in various spotz:-?

fishing111
08-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Any pic's ss, and what did Stabicraft say? 2K ouch.

Tangles
08-06-2011, 10:08 PM
not many hours Stinky for that to happen

Hell Boy
08-06-2011, 11:06 PM
how did you notice that there were cracks under the floor, isn't your floor all sealed? I might check if you can left me know what to look for. Not good news

Scott79
09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Geez mate, that's disappointing, I read some of your previous posts and you have obviously been pretty impressed with the boat to date.

At least now you know it will be better than ever.

Curious also, what made you lift the floor and take a look in the first place?

Scott.

cormorant
09-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Warranty is not just a set period of time it is that goods were fit for purpose. A boat hull cracking up means it possibly wasn't fit for purpose so I would be following it up hard . $2000 is a hell of a lot of welding?? Were they just tack welds that have broken or full beads and is it bad welding or bad design of where welds are? Not happy would be a understatement

The welds you see on the Stabi outside always look Ok and I can't understand why the ones inside would be any different. It isn't a trailering issue or the famous chop up north that cats can't cope with?
A good company would want to inspect it and see what the problem was or at the very least get a report from the welder who did the work to ensure they didn't have a unknown production problem. Smart companies know how bad word of mouth can be for their business.

fishing111
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Agree fully Cormorant, 287 hours isn't even 3 years use, and way less when you take into consideration trolling come mack season as that time of year logs up plenty of hours quite easily.

Jarrah Jack
10-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Thats not good at all after that length of time on the water. I would , as I have done before with a Savage, go very hard at them.

Its not good enough and thanks for warning people.

stinky-stabi
10-06-2011, 04:19 PM
hell boy was going to use all the space underneath to store gear, dont drill those stupid kiwi bloody rivet things out you cant get replacement::) as mine has been welded up an re riveted with something more practical:-?.....yes must say boat looks tough but inside its only 2.5mm thats why they probably make em so hard to get into so you dont see all the damage>:(....had all new 5083 4mm plates/sheets welded in the rear..... yeah have been happy with the boat but would never buy another one:-X .........like most kiwi stuff more hype than realality::)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(footy thing)

i will be sending an email to them........glad i dont live over there(nz) cause they reckon they have the roughest boating FFS if it was over there it would have probably sunk;D
p.s. i do love the little rig, i am just a little peed off;)

Smithy
11-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Tono,

you have to remember that lever thing shouldn't always be fully forward. Sometimes you do have to back off instead of crest jumping from wave to wave!

stinky-stabi
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Tono,

you have to remember that lever thing shouldn't always be fully forward. Sometimes you do have to back off instead of crest jumping from wave to wave!

rob I didn't realise you could put it somewhere in between,thought it was like a on off switch , full on or turned off .... me ? crest jumping .... can I drive on the next trip..... pmsl

fishing111
15-06-2011, 09:29 AM
Hope you get some sort of outcome from Stabicraft,and agree with SK about the welding. Looks like a bad chunk of aluminium to me,not that i know shit.Looks like from earlier post that Stabicraft have there out because you didn't want to wait god know's how long for them to decide to fix. Feel for ya, and i know what a PIA it is to be sitting and waiting on a company to do the right thing, which in most cases they are just looking for an out,which apparently they now have. 287 hours is a joke!

ozscott
15-06-2011, 10:08 AM
I have just read the 2 other related threads and this one. Why not take it to the dealer and get them to look at it on the basis of a warranty claim. Then if you can get no joy see a lawyer.

Cheers

ozscott
15-06-2011, 10:09 AM

At least now you know it will be better than ever.

Scott.

That's the problem I think Scott...it might not be better than ever...especially if it is a structural alloy problem as some have suggested on other threads on this site about this boat.

Cheers

Scott79
15-06-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree mate, my post was long before the other 2 threads started with pics and additional information.

Like everyone, I will be interested to hear the outcome.

Scott.