PDA

View Full Version : Mercury Black Max 200HP (92 Model) VS Yamaha 200hp 94 Model

mustang5
08-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Hey guys,

Have been given these two motors to use whilst waiting for our 4 stroke to arrive. (Probably a month).

The Merc has been recently rebuilt, where the Yammy has good comp and is in top nick, but history is unkown!!!

Both are $3500 fitted (Mates rates, and the fact its a buy back once the 4 stroke turns up).

Your thoughts?? (Going on a Haines Signature 1950R) 6.5m boat.

Cheers

djfish71
08-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Either should be ok, what 4 stroke did you end up getting?

Steeler
08-06-2011, 08:10 PM
For the sake of a months use toss a coin and hope it comes up the black one

mustang5
08-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Thats true, but im just worried a month will turn into 4 up here.. Plus resale isnt that great if it throws a rod..

I dunno. Wouldnt mind picking the one with the better reputation just for peace of mind :)

Moffy
08-06-2011, 09:01 PM
do the holes line up on either - e.g are you getting a 200 Yammie 4 stroke and do the holes line up with the 2 stroke yammie - save another set of holes in the transom if nothing else if they do. (for a months wait is it worth the hassle/risk of it throwing a rod???)

timddo
08-06-2011, 09:14 PM
just go on a few charters for this month and wait for the outboard to come.

mustang5
09-06-2011, 07:46 AM
Haha I would go on charters, if I was that Fishing mad!!! Im more so for Island Hopping around the barrier reef.. I have been up here for 4 months and been out there once.. . It was kind of, a "Hey honey, come up here for work and we will explore the barrier reef every weekend" type of move hehe!!

Seriously though, which of these two motors would have better resale?? (Say something went pear shaped.. )

fishfeeder
09-06-2011, 09:39 AM
If I was worrying about which one would be worth more if it craped its self, I wouldn't touch either.
Wait for the one your buying to turn up as its probably got a few months warrantee with it.
I wouldn't be heading to far from land to you get some confidence in the replacement motor either.

Hope you get back on the water soon after your run of bad luck.

Cheers
Brett

cormorant
09-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Sounds like good advice as most people who have made short term motor choices have come to grief!!! Unless you want to turn your family off boating don't bother

You could get a very good motor but at that age up there unless you know it's hours and history you are just pissing money away. All motors that age need a special look in regarding corrosion and maintainance. A full check over and set up is realistically going to cost a good proportion of the purchase price and is money you will never recover especially when you have to get rid of it in 6 weeks. No one up there wants old motors unless they owned them from new and knows the history. A mate doing mates favours should be doing a mate a favour and telling him the complete history or warrantying it for that period!!!
Take her to a resort,blame it on bad weather etc etc and wait for the correct motor. Get the boat detailed, trailer done and all safety gear , radio and GPS epirb new electronics batteries fuel filters and so on 100% sorted in the meantime Unless coming from US direct ( private import) where there has been delays at docks there is plenty new dealers stock in Australia ( they are doing boat shows and boat show special pricing at the minute with extra warranty) so 1 month should be 1 month and worth waiting and asking for the same price as the boat shows are offering.

Changing motors always costs money and is never worth doing for a short period. Not worth the possible grief.

mustang5
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Yea I agree mate. The agreement however is a "pay $3500 and use this until the 4 stroke arrives" type agreement. I only care for which one in case I reach the position where I can see the 4 stroke not becoming available, which is a high chance up here as there are plenty of hawks looking for a good deal!

If this were the way it unfolded, would I get a better resale out of the Yamaha or the Merc??

P.S. The yamaha is the same model as the one that went boom (Rebuilt not long ago.)... However, I have perfectly good parts to swap out for everything bar 1 cylinder & Block..

Basically I had to put down a deposit for something I had no idea when it was coming(Been told a month), so the agreement ended up being "Have one of these to swap back when it arrives, or keep it for $3500 if you are happy with it".

Cheers

cormorant
09-06-2011, 04:30 PM
Ok I get it. I just read the other thread. So you are waiting for a good 2nd hand 4st to come on the market up there at a reasonable price .

If your current Yami is not rebuildable ( at least you know what you have and as it is pulled apart you know it's corrosion position) and you will know why it failed ( fuel, oil, breakage?)

Always better the devil you know and if it rebuilds to a strong motor you can delay getting the 4 stroke for a while. You just have to 100% ensure that the reason the Yami failed is solved and ensure that the rebuild is done properly not just a patch up job. Really depends on just how good a condition the rest of your motor is.

There is nothing wrong with a older 2 stroke if you rebuild it , run new fancy oils and you have hundreds and hundreds of hours left in it. Especially if the bloke doing it is the bloke you are dealing with if the perfect 4st comes up he should pay a decent price for teh old girl knowing it is a good one.

You may get enough life out of it ( it is worth so little 2nd hand ) that you can save extra $ and get a later model 4 st with lower hours or a ex demo motor.

If the Yami you are being offered has parts that are directly transferrable to the one you are considering that adds some weight to that deal with quick fit up and same set up- prop ( gearbox, trim, coils , leads ) but with motors that old no one will stick their neck out sight unseen and tell you to go one way or the other. Motors that old are a individual thing based on condition unless there was a major "lemon" model in the range back. The lemons usually fail and all wrecked before now unless there was a solution to their problem.

Still irks me to bother at all and I would be trying to lock the bloke in to a time frame or get your deposit back and then start looking from scratch. Put the pressure on - you are either top of his list next time a pro boat upgrades or you want the $ back and then start negotiating. Not sure I like the way the guy does business if you get what I mean. You only ever put deposits down on exact item , real goods and fixed time frames no on a maybe if ever !!! Run forrest run is my thoughts away from people who want deposits for goods thay can't order or have owneship of!!!

FisHard
09-06-2011, 05:52 PM
Sorry to add to the negative chorus here. Too much effort and risk and cost involved to justify the muck around. I'd either rebuild your donk or dig a bit (lot) deeper for a whole new motor and get on with boating :)

mustang5
10-06-2011, 08:37 AM
Yeah I locked in the best I could get, and it was a pretty mutual deal! I didnt have to put a deposit down but I wanted to get back on the water as he simply doesnt know when one will come available, but he gurantees "it will happen". So I could wait until one arrives, but Im sure my money will be spent elsewhere by then haha!!!

Im quite happy with the arrangement, and it gives me the option to sell it privately once one comes available for maybe more than the $3500(plus a load of spare parts if I go the Yammy).

Condition wise, the Yammy doesnt even have rust on the steering/tilt area.. I have owned 5 Yamahas, they all had this!!

The Yammy has better electrics also. Far too many wires on the Merc!!!

cormorant
10-06-2011, 09:18 AM
no such thing as making money on 16 year old outboards. You are paying full wack and the market for them is shrinking daily. That said a good one is still a good one and well worth using for years well maintained and looked after as it will have so little resale. Really must be judged on condition so make sure it is fully checked out for internal corrosion/ scale and compression with a leakdown test. Most are worth more as parts to keep others running.

Jarrah Jack
10-06-2011, 09:58 AM
If you are getting the motor from a dealer there will be a warranty even if its through a complaint to the fair trading commission in your state. I researched that when I brought a motor from Tassie and the dealer wasn't offering a warranty. Never needed it but it was nice to know.

fishfeeder
10-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Mustang5, After reading your last few posts,
Mate out of the two I would go the Yamaha if your old motors parts fit. But I would be getting the guy to give it a service with an on the water check before parting with your hard earned....
Being the same motor you wouldn't need to drill more holes in your transom or install new guages, (I am guessing).
Also get in writing that he will give you the $3500 for it even if you find another motor, might make him pull his finger out to get you a replacement 4 stroke.

Cheers