PDA

View Full Version : Petrol Smell in TABS boat

henno
08-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Hi I own a 5.45m TABS and I am generally quite happy with it. However there is from time to time quite a strong smell of fuel that comes from the boat. It can happen while I am underway but doesn't stay for the whole time I am travelling. I have had it back to the dealer who has tested the tank and found no leaks. I have lifted the floor and all of the foam flotation around the fuel tank is unaffected by petrol. It is a puzzle! I was wondering if any other TABS owners have had a similar problem and if they found a cure?

PADDLES
08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
where's your breather positioned? sometimes i can smell fuel vapour coming from the breather on our boat.

four_button_arnie
08-06-2011, 01:35 PM
yer i vote breather, when you bounce along the fuel gets all agitated and vaporized, then out the breather to your nose!

Josh

captain rednut
08-06-2011, 07:25 PM
hey, dont rule out your fuel filler hose as the wrong composition and it can emit fuel vapour, does it have a fuel rating or any identification written on the hose it self ??.
i changed my fuel filler hose fitted by haines and the smell went away.
worth a try ?? cheers cr

henno
08-06-2011, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys for your thoughts

Mudlicker
08-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi I own a 5.45m TABS and I am generally quite happy with it. However there is from time to time quite a strong smell of fuel that comes from the boat. It can happen while I am underway but doesn't stay for the whole time I am travelling. I have had it back to the dealer who has tested the tank and found no leaks. I have lifted the floor and all of the foam flotation around the fuel tank is unaffected by petrol. It is a puzzle! I was wondering if any other TABS owners have had a similar problem and if they found a cure?

I have had my TABS for 7 years and got the same sort of smell when opening the hatches etc , did the same things as you , pulled tank out etc, no evidence of any leaks .But recently had the floor out for a recarpet and I changed the breather hoses and main fuel hose as it had perished badly , guess what , no more smell. I have a mate with a seascape ( made by TABS ) with the same problem .

henno
09-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks Mudlicker - that's what I wanted to know. I wondered if these items needed to be replaced and if that would fix it. Did the replacement cost much?

cormorant
09-06-2011, 10:51 AM
New foams are in theory fuel proof so you may have a leak into the bilge and it wouldn't show on the foam. Put a couple of drops of fuel on your foam and test it? Get Tabs to replace foam if it isn't fuel proof as it doesn't meet standards?

Very careful as fuel vapour being heavier than air means by the time you smell it you are up to your armpits in a vapour cloud and 99% of electrical stuff on your boat is not designed not to ignite vapour - switched, starter motors, battery switches, radios, ignitions etc. Right fuel vapour mix and aspark is bang - no warning.

Checking hoses and especially any rubber seals if you have a fuel sender or any other holes in teh tank. Some crap fuel with industrial thinners or ethanol will degrade all but teh best rubbers and will kill seals inside fuel senders etc.

Mudlicker
09-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mudlicker - that's what I wanted to know. I wondered if these items needed to be replaced and if that would fix it. Did the replacement cost much?

No just go and but any good quality marine rated fuel hose , was about 10 bucks a metre from memory . When I put the new hoses on the tank I used a product called STAG to seal under the hoses as well as double stainless worm drive clamps. the breather hose is still fuel compatable but slightly different to the main hose in that its clear . bonus is hen the floor is out you can put Nialec or lanotec on all of the screws in the floor . Hope this helps some

henno
09-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mudlicker