PDA

View Full Version : What type of goose puts their crab pots in the channel of the Brissy River ?

NAGG
07-06-2011, 08:46 PM
Ok ..... time for a bitch

I got the crap scared out of me tonight when I ran over one & got tangled in it - fortunately I was running pretty slow . ..... :aim:

Now is it just me ... or does common sense dictate that its a stupid place to put your pot:-?
Its not the odd one either - I reckon there must be a dozen or so in the stretch from the gateway bridge to the tug base. Some have a decent buoy while other are scungy algae encrusted ones (I assume they are pros ones) but regardless when the tide is running they are often invisible .... >:(
Fortunately no damage was done ....... this time but I certainly felt like taking a knife to the rope

Chris

bigjimg
07-06-2011, 09:03 PM
If it were me it would not be a second thought,the knife would be tool of choice..You would be doing everyone else a favour.

NAGG
07-06-2011, 09:13 PM
If it were me it would not be a second thought,the knife would be tool of choice..You would be doing everyone else a favour.

A floating rope would be a worry ..... so you'd need to pull the pot & then cut it !!!!

Chris

bennykenny
07-06-2011, 09:29 PM
yeah Nagg over the last couple of weeks those bloody crab pots have been everywhere, have to keep a keen eye out at night thats for sure, hows your search for the jewies going???

NAGG
07-06-2011, 09:34 PM
yeah Nagg over the last couple of weeks those bloody crab pots have been everywhere, have to keep a keen eye out at night thats for sure, hows your search for the jewies going???

Starting to get a few on placcies ....... Still to get a legal (PB of 74.5cm)
Enjoying it though
Any tips!

I've been out 4 nights over the past week ....... So those pots have given me the shits , nearly hit a few & then tonight I got hung up in one ....... Maybe the key is to go flat strap!!!

Chris

bennykenny
07-06-2011, 09:39 PM
lots of tips but they are all for live baits,not keen on fishing plastics at night. got some good tides next week, will probably be heading out Tuesday night for a fish, might see you out there.

timddo
07-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Guys, leave some jewies for me. I don't know how you can fish during the cold nights when you can catch them in the daytime. All legal too. I only caught one undersize one this year.

NAGG
07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
lots of tips but they are all for live baits,not keen on fishing plastics at night. got some good tides next week, will probably be heading out Tuesday night for a fish, might see you out there.

I'm back home from Sydney on Tuesday arvo ..... so there is a fair chance that I will be out !!!

NAGG
07-06-2011, 10:12 PM
Guys, leave some jewies for me. I don't know how you can fish during the cold nights when you can catch them in the daytime. All legal too. I only caught one undersize one this year.

Some one has to do it ........ caught a few after dark - on plastics too , but generally its been late afternoon

Chris

Feral
08-06-2011, 05:41 AM
Big tides this last month, might have floated out of their original location.

Flex
08-06-2011, 05:45 AM
A floating rope would be a worry ..... so you'd need to pull the pot & then cut it !!!!

Chris

While I do agree with removing any maritime hazard from a busy water way.

Please do not cut off the crab pot!. Ghost pots are a horrific thing to our oceans. They are a never ending killing machine, creating a vicious cycle over and over.

I have seen idiots put pots in shipping/boating channels before. I have zero hesitation in picking the whole thing up and moving it.

bennykenny
08-06-2011, 07:36 AM
there is just to many idiots out in the day, at night there is only a few. With all the right clothes, ski jacket, beenie, its not too bad and dont forget the thermos!!!!!

matt fraser
08-06-2011, 08:58 AM
The crabs must be on the go in the river at the moment, I saw the pro working his pots last wednesday arvo right from the mouth up past the ferries, and possibly beyond. He must have a lot in there.

Good luck on the Jewies guys, wish I could be out there. Watch that jewie bug, it can be obsessive! just like IBD Nagg!
Cheers,

Matt

finga
08-06-2011, 11:29 AM
Ok ..... time for a bitch

I got the crap scared out of me tonight when I ran over one & got tangled in it - fortunately I was running pretty slow . ..... :aim:

Now is it just me ... or does common sense dictate that its a stupid place to put your pot:-?
Chris
Since when has common sense stopped someone doing something stupid Chris??
I agree whole heartedly about 50% of crab pots I've ever seen I reckon.
They are in stupid spots and with buoys you cannot see even at daytime let alone at night.

So why can pro-crabbers have buoys that you cannot see?
It must be common knowledge as every time someone has something to say about buoys with crap all over them people immediately say they're pro-pots.

My way of thinking they are a navigational hazard and should be reported as such. Knowing my luck if I moved one I'd be the one in trouble. Remember it's illegal to touch some-one else's crab-pots.

Is there a solution to this problem?
Probably not as the law seems to favour those who are doing stupid things.

So how do the tugs etc miss the floats?

bennykenny
08-06-2011, 11:46 AM
i dont think a 10mm rope would bother the tug props too much would probably slice right through it

finga
08-06-2011, 12:27 PM
i dont think a 10mm rope would bother the tug props too much would probably slice right through it
I was thinking more along the line of the rope getting caught around the prop/s and prop shaft/s etc.
Fishing line can make a mess of outboards easy enough.

NAGG
08-06-2011, 04:04 PM
While I do agree with removing any maritime hazard from a busy water way.

Please do not cut off the crab pot!. Ghost pots are a horrific thing to our oceans. They are a never ending killing machine, creating a vicious cycle over and over.

I have seen idiots put pots in shipping/boating channels before. I have zero hesitation in picking the whole thing up and moving it.

yeh , agree ....... unless you collapse it !!!

NAGG
08-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Since when has common sense stopped someone doing something stupid Chris??
I agree whole heartedly about 50% of crab pots I've ever seen I reckon.
They are in stupid spots and with buoys you cannot see even at daytime let alone at night.

So why can pro-crabbers have buoys that you cannot see?
It must be common knowledge as every time someone has something to say about buoys with crap all over them people immediately say they're pro-pots.

My way of thinking they are a navigational hazard and should be reported as such. Knowing my luck if I moved one I'd be the one in trouble. Remember it's illegal to touch some-one else's crab-pots.

Is there a solution to this problem?
Probably not as the law seems to favour those who are doing stupid things.

So how do the tugs etc miss the floats?

I would assume they are pro crabbers , as they get pulled to unload them & straight back in ........ unless its a local who is on the water daily.
I would be concerned about toughing a pot too - either get nabbed or SHOT!

But certainly they are a hazard ........... I could imagine the damage done to a tinny with a smaller motor - it could pull the motor off the transom (I certainly pulled up quick!)

Chris

NAGG
08-06-2011, 04:17 PM
The crabs must be on the go in the river at the moment, I saw the pro working his pots last wednesday arvo right from the mouth up past the ferries, and possibly beyond. He must have a lot in there.

Good luck on the Jewies guys, wish I could be out there. Watch that jewie bug, it can be obsessive! just like IBD Nagg!
Cheers,

Matt

had the bug in the 90's Matt - from Nov - April ( several trips each month around the full moon) ...... but had a 70km towing trip each way for what was usually just a 3 hr session. Did this for 3 years & loved it.
Then we would do 1 or 2 weeks at South west rocks in Feb - big fish!!!!!
The difference now is that I can be casting my first lure in around 30 mins from leaving home ....... gotta love that! - though I would rather be fishing for barra....

Damned67
10-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Agreed with 'poorly' placed pots, and the algae encrusted ones that you barely see until you're almost on top of them. I often run around the north end of Green Island, and there's almost always a line of pots running between the navigation markers, which sucks if you're trying to navigate from marker to marker. Thankfully, I always know to keep a wide berth through there, but if someone was running through there in the dark........
And thankfully most of those pots have nice white floats (If your an Ausfish member, and they're often your pots, I sincerely thank you for having visible floats). I often come across the so-called 'pro' pots on the run between Green and Harry's, and they seem almost randomly placed, so in a pre-dawn run (or at anytime), I really have to keep my eyes peeled.
While I'm happy to bitch about their placement, I can't really complain about those that are placed with clearly visible floats, as it is legal for them to be there. So, again to any crabbing Ausfishers (or anyone) that use clearly visible floats, I thank you for making my boating that little bit easier.
Cheers!

NAGG
11-06-2011, 04:52 AM
I think out in the bay - its a given & a bit of "pot" luck ..... so to speak - but in the middle (more or less) of the river channel just seems to be a stupid thing to do - I've nearly hit so many !!! - and now collected one ...... it's just frustrating.
Out of curiosity ...... what is the law ? - I would have thought it would have been creating a shipping hazard

Chris

timddo
11-06-2011, 09:13 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't put a pot in the middle of shipping channel. I have seen those pots and they are more towards the sides of the river. As i only travel in the middle of the river unless there is a big ship headed my way. I have once placed pots in boggy creek smack in the middle. ( but hardly anyone uses that area and it was easy to see those pots. Mine are White. Rule of thumb, If it's not your stuff don't touch it and notify the authorities. Is it work dying for in cases???.
However i have experience kids/Adults cutting my crab pot floats. I had every intention of slashing their tyres to make even. They were rude buggers compaing about a sunshade tent we put up at the picknic area. I had a big boat and they had a 3.5 meter tinnie. I reframe as the pot will cost $40 to replace and their tyres $500 plus towing...

Just becoz you can , doesn't mean you should.

bigjimg
11-06-2011, 09:39 AM
Put your pots in the shipping channel from Luggage Point to Pinkenba and any of the Port crews or other commercial operators will remove them.We remove any pot that is within the channel from Port Operations to Luggage Point from one day to the next.It confounds me what people are thinking when they set their pots,and no i don't have a good collection of pots.I don't even have one pot,We pull them up cut off the rope and float and in the skip they go.Job done and hopefully these twits get the message.So Nagg if you foul your prop while travelling within the channel get out the knife cut off the rope and float and bin it.What is your safety worth and others.Jim

NAGG
11-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Put your pots in the shipping channel from Luggage Point to Pinkenba and any of the Port crews or other commercial operators will remove them.We remove any pot that is within the channel from Port Operations to Luggage Point from one day to the next.It confounds me what people are thinking when they set their pots,and no i don't have a good collection of pots.I don't even have one pot,We pull them up cut off the rope and float and in the skip they go.Job done and hopefully these twits get the message.So Nagg if you foul your prop while travelling within the channel get out the knife cut off the rope and float and bin it.What is your safety worth and others.Jim

I reckon if I was having a really bad day or I didn't clear it withought too much drama - a knife would have been taken to it ...... & for the record it would have been 50M inside the channel marker up near Visy - along with a few others. some of the ones that I've come really close to getting (hard to see) were up near the tug terminal.

Chris

bigjimg
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
Some don't have enough rope and consequently the moon tides send them out with the flow,and they end up in all soughts of places.These are the lonesome ones and are easily recognised and are removed.Most pots are illegal anyhow with no information on them.Jim

rosco1974
12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
deleted post

fisher28
15-06-2011, 08:24 AM
most of them are pro pots,theres a few crabbers in the river at the moment and 1 of them checks his pots everyday whereas the other guy only does about every 2nd or 3rd day,i think its his pots that get moved or washed around.the float issue must be a real pain for them.the law requires clean white floats,but it also lets all the share farmers know where there pots are.dirty floats make my life hard,a rope around my prop could cost up to 1500 bux to fix if we have to lift the boat out to get it off and lose a day or nights work.

NAGG
15-06-2011, 09:12 AM
most of them are pro pots,theres a few crabbers in the river at the moment and 1 of them checks his pots everyday whereas the other guy only does about every 2nd or 3rd day,i think its his pots that get moved or washed around.the float issue must be a real pain for them.the law requires clean white floats,but it also lets all the share farmers know where there pots are.dirty floats make my life hard,a rope around my prop could cost up to 1500 bux to fix if we have to lift the boat out to get it off and lose a day or nights work.

I certainly have no sympathy for the pro crabbers - specially when what they are doing can cause problems for the wider boating community ........ It seems to typify what pro fisherman are all about !
Clearly these pots are set in these locations as they continually appear in the same area - plus I doubt a pro would just let his pots wander the river.

Chris

fisher28
15-06-2011, 01:36 PM
i think most of them wander the river because people check them,then just chuck them over where ever they are at the time.but some would be put in silly spots for sure.there is a lot of tidal run in the river at times also which pulls the floats under as others have said,so i guess if the pot was light enough,or put on a ledge,then it could move.

oldboot
18-06-2011, 11:44 PM
I think too that lots of people don't know that you are not permitted to fish at all no way no how inbetween the beacons all the way out to the front from the inner beacons to the fairway beacon...its specified on the charts.

We realy need to have fisheries inspectors out there policing the regulations....if a pro crabber ( or anybody else for that matter) fails to maintain his floats clean & visible as specified.... pot and float confiscated and a fine

And it should be specified in the fishing regs that it is illegal to set pots in a marked or regularly used channel....currently it isn't.

cheers

NAGG
19-06-2011, 07:38 AM
I think too that lots of people don't know that you are not permitted to fish at all no way no how inbetween the beacons all the way out to the front from the inner beacons to the fairway beacon...its specified on the charts.

We realy need to have fisheries inspectors out there policing the regulations....if a pro crabber ( or anybody else for that matter) fails to maintain his floats clean & visible as specified.... pot and float confiscated and a fine

And it should be specified in the fishing regs that it is illegal to set pots in a marked or regularly used channel....currently it isn't.

cheers

Couldn't agree more .........
btw - is it anchoring or fishing between the markers ? ..... I thought it was just anchoring

Chris

oldboot
05-07-2011, 10:49 AM
It is prohibited to anchor, berth or moor a ship or the use of fishing aparatus including crabbing pots, collapsable traps, dillies or inveted dillies in the waters near the entrance beacons..........discribed as.........

and it basicly goes on to discribe a BIG diamond shape between the near end of the measured mile and the yellow and green front beacons...and ( here is the good bit) out as far as the jays reef bouy north of mud on one side and out to the isolated danger bouy a similar distance out the other side.

interesting that it is marked on the big charts but not on the beacon to beacon...but it is written and described in both.

I am surprised there is not some similar restriction in the channel all the way into the inner bar markers.

cheers