PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Bay, Sunny Coast and E10.

Lucky_Phill
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
This report is based on fact and has limited embellishments.

With the weather looking OK and after been at it for about 14 days straight, I felt it time for some R & R, water borne.

I had a plan. Called up our good buddy Mike, some know him as Tangles or Colonel Sanders or Aigutso and talked him into a cruisey day on the briny, Sunday. Simple plan really, put in at Manly and head to just around Combi point and to the bait grounds where we would jig up some supplies for September’s M & G at 1770. Mike was a bit bewildered about why I would spend a day jigging bait, but as bad luck would have it, a couple of weeks ago, I fuelled up ReBait with 80 ltrs of E10. :-X

This was done by mistake….. you see, my local servo was had their bowsers set up so I could drive in and park car at diesel pump and the boat on behind would line up with the Unleaded 91 pump. Very few servos work like this. Anyway, I fill up the 4By, then move to the boat, off with the filler cap, pick up pump ( from usual place ) and start filling. It was not until 60ltrs was in that I looked at the bowser to find *&^%$ E10……… aarrgghh !!!!!! Hence, my trip out to gather bait was a mission to actually burn off the E10 fuel.

When I told Mike that he could not take a rod, I believe he went white… ? ;Ddunno, I was at the other end of the phone, but there was silence. He asked about tackle boxes….. nope ! no tackle boxes. After some pleading and relaying of rules to his wife ( Bec ) who was also in disbelief, I relented and allowed 1 ( one ) rod.

During Mikes confusion, caused by my “ therapy “, and after picking him up, we headed to Raby Bay boat ramp……………. Manly ? anyway, confusion. At the ramp we were greeted by Marlin_Mike ( Mike ) of the VMR and also saw Captain Seaweed ( Marty ) there.

Off we go with limited fuss………. After a while I turn the sounder on. Damn, no reading, but I am going WOT. So I back off to pick up the bottom, all good and increase RPM….. but the bottom disappears again. Few more bits and pieces and I eventually look over the transom to see my transducer flapping in the breeze, so to speak. Bugga !!! :-? :(

A decision was made ( after idiling through Harry Aitkenson reef covered in 35 boats ) to sneak into Mud for a snack etc. My other crew member , Lulu, madder some lunch and Mike and I indulged in fresh yummo prawns, Thanks again Mike. Not a lot happening and in fact Lulu had climbed onto the roof of ReBaits targa with a pillow and is now fast asleep. OK, so we pull in the anchor and slowly increase rpm until we hit 20kph. Lulu, still asleep on targa that has no grab rails etc. So she stays there by the flatness of the water or my good driving ???? we’ll run with 50 / 50.;)

Also had a quick chat to Wags on the VHF as well as Bill. Back to the ramp early enough to miss the peak hour. Back home I re-assemble the transducer and use Sikaflex supplied by thedeckie, to make it all good again…………. Apparently.

Monday morning comes and I figure I have to try again to burn off the E10 fuel, so I jump in the Colorado with the big girl behind and head north to the sunny coast. I think it was about 10.30 when she got her bum wet. Wags and tropicrows ( Bruce ) were already on the water and south of my destination.

Doing 6 Knots out the river then cranking it up to 4400rpm, the sounder losses bottom again. Check and all is intact, so I believe and realize I may not have it aligned and air or bubbles are running over the transducer. It still reads at 20kph, so that’ll be OK.

Wind was under 10 knots, but coming from the North and even North West. Seas were slight and I made good time to a spot some 62k’s from the bar. Sounded around and saw shows, but nothing happening. Moved about, chatted to Wags, who at this stage was up at the northern banks. More moving and plenty of shows, but they are on strike.

Moved into some shallower ground ( 58mtrs ) and again the sounder lites up. Couple of touches, but I realize it will be the dusk bite this time out. I call over to see Mike and Bruce before I head in. Conditions got better as I was making my way to the ramp. Ended up sitting on 51kph and smooth as.

Back at the ramp, I tie up ReBait to the pontoon and reverse 4By down. Walk back to pontoon and drive the big girl on the trailer. I walk off the front of the boat ont the tray of the ute, attach safety chain and ratchet strap. I go to get back on the boat from ute, but wearing thongs in water situations is not recommended … doh !.... I didn’t fall in the water, but from a distance, it looked awkward….. possibly a $500 moment for Funniest Home Videos ???? With a scratch down my shin and the pride dented, I managed to get back on the boat and sort it. :-[

I pull up and start de-rigging when Bruce and Mike arrive and make it known they saw the “ show “. After a little while, the Fisheries Patrol pull up and do an inspection and have a chat. All good. I only managed to travel 134 k’s and used less than ½ the tank of fuel. I also note the transducer is flapping in the breeze again……. Aarrgghhh !!!!!!!

Hit the road for Brisvegas and pass Team Wags on the highway, never to be seen again.

I have some jobs to do and one of those is NOT filleting fish.

Best part of the day happened a little while ago….. Baked Beans on toast with melted cheese for dinner and cleansing Ginger Beer to wash it down.

Cheers LP.

JJT
06-06-2011, 08:14 PM
very enjoyable read phil considering no fish hahaahah
hope all goes well with the next "bait gathering" mission ;)
regards Jason

Tangles
06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
many thanks for the Sunday Phil, one rod? no tackle box? I wasnt listening if it was Manly or Raby Bay, filtering the no tackle took priority:D ( i have a small brain) , it was a ramp just up the road and i was going out with only one rod!,

ended up not a bad call as we got to have a chat to Marlin Mike and Marty ;D,,

sounds like you didnt have to bad a day today apart from no filleting and putting on a show for Wags and Co, glad they didnt see my my backing down the trailer effort on Sunday? what was it, first time down apparently i was going down perfectly one lane, that didnt look right so up again and try again, bugger across the next lane, that looks better:-X

jtpython
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Me thinks a bit of Wags has rubbed off onto ya Phil
JT

wags on the water
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
Me thinks a bit of Wags has rubbed off onto ya Phil
JT

I have called it for - no fish on the other side of the boat saga. Bruce managed to boat some nice fish where I only managed to get busted off, lost fish due to lack of concentration then put 1 hussar in the box.

tropicrows
07-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Thanks Wags for another great day out on the water, you can't beat watching the sun come up over the water while waiting for that fish to have a go at your bait :). We traveled 141 km it felt like double that, hell we covered some ground. Plenty of good shows but no interest from the big fish only the pickers.
My total count for the day was 1 snapper, 1 tuskie, 1 red throat, fish caught and released due to being short at one end who knows I lost count.
I have been too 1770 twice now hoping to catch a "red" with no luck, yesterday with wags as proof I caught 4 ;D;, the biggest went 50 cm and they just got smaller (all were released to fight another day).

TimiBoy
07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
I have been too 1770 twice now hoping to catch a "red" with no luck, yesterday with wags as proof I caught 4 ;D;, the biggest went 50 cm and they just got smaller (all were released to fight another day).

If it ain't up to size, it ain't a cap, Bruce! This year Mate, third time is the trick.

Hey Wags - can't fish don't fish. ****running for cover****

Cheers,

Tim

murf
07-06-2011, 04:53 PM
wow I hope the weather was good up there as the fishing sounds pathetic or is that the fishers haha like Tim said running for cover :)

going to Evans Head with Mick 17th, 18th and 19th June if you want to come down and catch some fish :P

cheers Murf

Tunzafun
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Good read Phil. I figure it is all about statistics.... guess you are due for a cracker trip!

bugman
08-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Sorry about the transducer Phil,

Two years wasn't a bad fix - but if its buggered let me know and I'll get you a new one.

Brett

Lucky_Phill
09-06-2011, 06:11 AM
The tranny can probably be fixed Brett, but I have gone down another path.

http://ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?176357-Any-techs-here-Furuno-advice-needed.

Don't worry about the cost, I am sure I'll get a trip out in your new rig at some stage in the future. :)

Cheers Phill