PDA

View Full Version : Our First Marlin

Timfishin4fun
05-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Hi there all, my friend and I have been trying to get a marlin this season but with only two lookers we thought we must be doing something wrong.But today was such a highlight as after putting in the lures 20 mins and we have a great strike.After a run and a bit of a fight it went to the surface for some aerial action, bit more of a fight then in behind the boat to slap the lure around to show it's disgust.Then a blistering run and more air( hopefully the photo comes out), then off to the depths.10 min longer and we start to raise the fish and the double pops.I had said to my mate that I would be happy to lose a lure just so get a hookup, but now I know that one works I want it back.Any way top day out, vince maganged a last fish around 4pm only to have it spit the hooks 10 m from the boat.Thanks to Matty (Business Class) for all your help. Without your chats we would still be virgins.Timbo

wags on the water
05-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Sounds like you had a top day. How did you go at the 50's Tim?Cheers,Wags

rosco1974
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
sounds like a great day out mate,congrats on the marlincheers rosco

jeffo
05-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Where was this? Goldy? Blue, black stripe?

Timfishin4fun
07-06-2011, 07:26 AM
Hi Jeffo, this was on Riv south and I'm thinking it was a blue. But did see some stripes. So not exactly sure. Hopefully photo's will make things easier.

Length between 2.5-3m long.

What would you give on approx weight?

Timbo

Midnight
07-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Well done Timbo! Nothin like that first one. You are in the sh1t now though, because the obsession will only get worse!

Keep at em!

Cheers,
Myles

P.s normally measure Marlin by their "short length", lower jaw tip to the fork of the tail. The weight for length varies considerably with different species due to how they carry their weight. Stripies and Sails are skinny and Blues tend to be solid right down to the anal fin.

business class
07-06-2011, 12:01 PM
well done tim, im glad you finally got a hook up, when u want to get some more lures come see me i will put you on to these new lures were useing there UNREAL. It was most likely a Blue id be saying. post the pick up of the photo and ill see if i can give you an estimate but the way you got it quickly to the boat id say around that 120 to 150kg mark. there the average size fish out there at the moment with the odd monster. Congrats again mate im very happy you got one as its the best feeling in fishing catchin one of those and watching them preform.