PDA

View Full Version : Who wants a good fishing boat?

simonpp82
01-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Hey Guys,

Im currently considering an updgrade to a bigger boat, and I'm after some idea of how much interest is out there for my current ride. Its a Haines Signature 542 centre console with 115 etec and is set up with a colour garmin chartplotter, furuno fcv 620 sounder, 2 brand new delcor m27 batteries and VHF radio. The hull is a 2000/2001 model? and the etec 2008.
This boat has been an absolute gem for me over the last few years and has caught tons of good fish. I've made several solo trips beyond the shelf as well as a few trips to the islands out off 1770 and it's never had an issue, the ride is great and the fuel economy with the etec is amazing. Apart from a recently serviced starter, the motor hasn't faulted once and has about 420 hours on it. It comes on a mackay single axle trailer with new (less than 6mth old) marinized disc brakes and oiler bearings. The whole package is in a good condition with only minor cosmetic faults. As I mentioned I'm not ready to sell tommorrow, but I'm easing myself into the market and I'd like to know if there's any interest out there. Any genuine interest may speed me up a little bit! Cheers - Simon

Flex
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Boat market is very slow at the moment,

That or no-one wants centre consoles atm. My centre console Striper doesnt seem to be that popular been for sale for ages.. But a smaller Haines might be might have some interest. easier to tow and haines has a very good rep..

barney11
02-06-2011, 08:26 AM
looking at a cuddy version atm.

Argle
02-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Be prepared for plenty of people trying to offer you a hell of a lot less than what its probably worth. Unfortunately the market is slow and as such people are shopping around and trying to pick up bargains from people who may be desperate to sell (this may not apply to you obviously) by offering thousands less than the asking price.
Having said that the Haines is a quality product with a good name and as such should still attract a genuine buyer - you just have to be prepared for all the cherry pickers that might get to you first.

Good luck

Cheers

barney11
02-06-2011, 10:39 AM
So i shouldnt offer 13k ?

simonpp82
02-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replys fellas, I had a feeling the market might be a bit slow which is why I got the feelers out first. Thankfully my situation isn't desperate and I have no need to consider ridiculous offers, good on the cherry pickers if they can pick up a bargain though! I guess the good thing about a boat like this in such a tough market is that its very economical to run and very easy to handle yourself with no need for more than a standard commodore/falcon etc to run it around. I haven't put a solid value on it yet but will soon.

scuttlebutt
02-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah things are tough but you're buying in the same market you're selling in so it doesn't matter.

I recently went through the upgrading experience. Took a bit less than what I wanted for the old boat but got the new boat for a steal (in my opinion).

Only boats priced very keenly are selling.

Richo1
03-06-2011, 06:31 AM
A few photos and what you hope to get for it will give you plenty of responses I'm sure. I know this isn't the For Sale section but good way to get price to put on it for when your ready to sell.

rynosaurus
03-06-2011, 09:06 AM
what sort of money are you thinking - ball park?

Pond123
03-06-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah, this is exactly the kind of boat that I am looking for right now. But...... as mentioned earlier, the price has to be right!

From a potential buyers perspective there are some boats out there with crazy price tags. I am not sure if they are being priced high as the sellers are giving themselves some 'wriggle room' to negotiate with, but the net effect is that I just ignore boats that seem to be priced 'ambitiously'

Pricing is the most important thing when selling anything. If you advertise your boat for $1 it will sell in seconds. If you advertise it for $60K it will never sell. So, in many ways, the speed of sale is set by the pricing. My issue is that I am a pom over here on a 4 year visa. So if I buy a boat, I will need to be able to sell it quickly when I leave. Hence I will need to price it aggressively. Hence, I am reluctant to ‘overpay’ when buying the boat in the first place, as I will lose more money when I sell it.

Also, most fiberglass centre consoles are in queensland and I am in victoria. So I will also need to pay for a marine surveyour to inspect the boat and for it to be transported. Which again are costs that I cannot recover when I come to sell.

Anyhow – with all of the above in mind, I would be interested in how much you want for it………………… J

Argle
03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Only a Pom would be interested in a centre console to use in Victoria :P:o

Pond123
03-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Only a Pom would be interested in a centre console to use in Victoria :P:o

Hah hah, we feel no cold and are impervious to rain (as long as we can get our hands on a nice cup of tea)

No, seriously, I fly fish a lot and a console kinda gets in the way. Plus I need a trolling motor up front. Problem is that there are very few for sale in Victoria (for obvious reasons) and the ones that are for sale are ambitiously priced compared to what they are going for up in queensland.

simonpp82
06-06-2011, 10:00 PM
Hey guys sorry for the lag with the replys.. After fiddling around with the boat I realised that the etec is labelled as an 06, but was purchased brand new in november 07'. The hull is also definately a 2000 model. As far as price I would want 26k for the package. I will get onto the photos when I get a chance but I'm flat out at the moment.