PDA

View Full Version : Skeg Protectors

Blackened
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
G'day

Looking into skeg guards/protectors for a new engine I'm purchasing, and have come across the blackfin, made in the USA. blackfinskeg.com and it looks to be the pick of the bunch for my application.

Does anyone run these or a version of the aforementioned?

I've seen many that are essentially a stainless "envelope" that attaches over the skeg, but the blackfin in my mind looks better because of the fins, hopefully creating lift.

Any opinions/experience?

Dave

Roughasguts
02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Mate I don't know could be a novelty product! (thought about it over night then with Beer this arvo sitting in me boat) Those fins are in the low pressure area! being before the prop, so all the fins will create is turbulance a lot like those Hi clone or Hi clown
so called fuel savers that don't work.

If you look at Bernullis formulai and put a foil or constriction in the flow of something it increases the speed of say in this case the water! but reduces the pressure! so therefore making it harder for the prop to get more thrust from the flow! so what I'm saying is High pressure on the bottom of a 747 wing and Low pressure on top will give you lift. But with a symetrical foil like this fin! will just be low pressure on both sides and sitting in a very low pressure area in front of the prop will be useless. Think all it's really going to do is save the paint on your skeg! but just put a 2 pak on that and it will last for years. As for it being strong! well you can't cut a S/S skeg to well with a hack saw S/S is as hard as hell. Just seems soft and flexible to me.

Cheers

bigjimg
02-06-2011, 09:04 PM
Something similar here Dave bar the wider wings 'Prop Saver' from Solas propellers.Same price less the shipping.Jim

Blackened
02-06-2011, 09:07 PM
G'day

I was also worried about turbulence, and on this particular setup, the prop all ready sees a lot of dirty water, doesn't need any more!

Dave

doublexl
02-06-2011, 10:37 PM
hi mate i use a custom stainless protector 3mm envelope style that is welded to a 12mm solid bar bent to the exact shape of my gearbox case.works great.as for bum lift buy a 4 blade prop.