PDA

View Full Version : Trailer lightboard rules - QLD ?

datamile
30-05-2011, 03:02 PM
It would appear that everytime I take my boat out something goes wrong with the trailer lights, so I'm wondering what the options and rules are for light boards.

Do you need to remove existing lights from trailer ?
Where should the board be mounted ? Height, do the lights have to be at the trailer width etc.

Spaniard_King
30-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Not much needed here.. basically you need to display parkers indicators , brake and number plate lighting you will get away with anything up to 1m above the normal trailer lights. no need to remove existing

Do you have LED's if you dont you need to think about these before going a light board.. money well spent IMO

finga
30-05-2011, 06:33 PM
As long as they comply VSB1 then no problem.
This is a bit from VSB1 that covers lighting.
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb1/vsb_01_b.aspx#13

Feral
31-05-2011, 05:39 AM
Main issue is towing the trailer without the boat on, by which I mean that at some busy ramps can mean your looking for a parking spot on the public road (IE driving around without the lights on the trailer). never heard of anyone getting done for it, but it is certainly a breach of the law.

Trap for the inexperienced is your trailer width or total length, which may require extra lights. (dont forget the reflectors) Debatable is whether its the total width or length with boat on, (including motor) or just the bare trailer width that triggers the requirement for additional lights.

Unfortunately my boats not big enough for me to have to work that one out!

deckie
31-05-2011, 06:36 AM
Have you thought about a compromise alternative. Detachable ones on a simple bracket where trailer lights usually are. Its the way it was for about 5000 yrs of trailer evolution and still the way to go if sick of submersibles. Just kick a lever type screw undone with your foot, take out each light bracket and throw in the boot. Keeps them out of the way where they should be, gives you the choice of old halogens or newer led types, and takes all of 30 seconds at the ramp. Far easier than those light board things which are made of crappy plastic that will invariably crack/break/perish in the sun.
They're a pain, especially if you need to tow just the trailer as feral mentioned.