PDA

View Full Version : Empty Carbs/Fuel Stabiliser

LittleSkipper
30-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Gidday Guys

Would like to know how to run fuel out of my carby injected 75hp Mercury Outboard? (If recommended by other Ausfish Pro's?) I do not have hoses that can be disconnected from the outboard hence for the underfloor fuel tank. Would also like professional feedback on how good is fuel stabiliser I have seen on the market?

Cheers

Wayno's.

Noelm
30-05-2011, 12:57 PM
no need to run your motor dry (assume you have a 2 stroke carby?) unless you intend to store for a long period, fuel stabilisers do some "things" I guess they may be good for the heart when you use them, you think everything will be good, not too sure if they can do any major "repair" work on your fuel system, far better to use good fuel and use it often (in my opinion)

FNQCairns
30-05-2011, 01:27 PM
I have a procedure made more important to me because of the todays low quality fuels.

after the final flush, I loosen each carburetor bowls drain screw and allow them to run dry. Then depending on how long I think the layup will be I drain what is left in the tank into fully sealed containers, finally fully draining the fuel filters and redoing up it's bung.

The day before the next trip I refuel with the same carb screws still undone and i push the new fuel which pushes any old fuel along all lines boat and engine through the empty fuel filter until only the new fuel is draining out of the each carb bowl, then I do so those screws up.

when pushing new fuel trough to the carbs one needs to keep all but one carb closed then close that one to open then close another another and so on otherwise gravity will conspire to not fully service the higher carbs.

all back together and good to go with fast starts at the ramp, less smoke and most importantly good quality fuel from the very first turn of the key.

Just as an offside at the speed oil/fuel is charged at the bearings inside a 2 stroke engine, running it out of fuel at idle can never make for a problem HERE but at the same time you will not fully drain the carbs doing it this way, only way to do that is to crack each bowls drain screws.

Spaniard_King
30-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Just as an offside at the speed oil/fuel is charged at the bearings inside a 2 stroke engine, running it out of fuel at idle can never make for a problem but at the same time you will not fully drain the carbs doing it this way, only way to do that is to crack each bowls drain screws.

Yep ya right you wont drain the carbies you will simply fill them full of straight oil... no problem at all with that is there:-?

So if the oil is mixed with the fuel and you run it out of fuel does that mean you are runing it out of lubrication????????

If you start it on straight fuel does that mean you are starting it with no lubrication??? until oil gets mixed in with the fuel.

I would guess that there be many scenarios for different engines, personally I would find someone who you can trust and follow there advice

STUIE63
30-05-2011, 04:19 PM
first things first is the motor injected or a carby

Spaniard_King
30-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Gidday Guys

Would like to know how to run fuel out of my carby injected 75hp Mercury Outboard? (If recommended by other Ausfish Pro's?) I do not have hoses that can be disconnected from the outboard hence for the underfloor fuel tank. Would also like professional feedback on how good is fuel stabiliser I have seen on the market?

Cheers

Wayno's.

I would say its a carby oil injected 2 stroke motor what do ya recon stue

LittleSkipper
30-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Gentlemen!!

It is carby-oil injected.Thanks for all the advice guys. Just noting that I fired up my outboard this afternoon after non-use for about a month and at first turn (push in to engage choke) of the key and lift up fast idle lever there was this initial puff of exhaust at first (just like someone farting) then she breathed into life with this blue cloud of effervescent 2 stroke smelling smoke like old puffing billy rolling into town, after letting her idle for 15-20 minutes she settled down to a steady stream of blue smoke. I would speculate the initial cloud of blue smoke at first start after non-use for some time is due to left over fuel still sitting in the carby bowls as well as the mixing of the oil? Your opinions please?

Wayno's.

FNQCairns
30-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Yep ya right you wont drain the carbies you will simply fill them full of straight oil... no problem at all with that is there:-?

So if the oil is mixed with the fuel and you run it out of fuel does that mean you are runing it out of lubrication????????

If you start it on straight fuel does that mean you are starting it with no lubrication??? until oil gets mixed in with the fuel.

I would guess that there be many scenarios for different engines, personally I would find someone who you can trust and follow there advice

Fixed it Garry, should have consulted my lawyer LOl, nah not that petty but your right today the number of caveats need to post is growing as basic comprehension skills drop.

Fixed bit will be in red and caps for your enjoyment:)

Dignity
30-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Gentlemen!!

It is carby-oil injected.Thanks for all the advice guys. Just noting that I fired up my outboard this afternoon after non-use for about a month and at first turn (push in to engage choke) of the key and lift up fast idle lever there was this initial puff of exhaust at first (just like someone farting) then she breathed into life with this blue cloud of effervescent 2 stroke smelling smoke like old puffing billy rolling into town, after letting her idle for 15-20 minutes she settled down to a steady stream of blue smoke. I would speculate the initial cloud of blue smoke at first start after non-use for some time is due to left over fuel still sitting in the carby bowls as well as the mixing of the oil? Your opinions please?

Wayno's.

Wayno, older mercs just love injecting more than normal oil when starting and not anything you can do about it. I had a 150 hp and idid as yours did.

STUIE63
30-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I would say its a carby oil injected 2 stroke motor what do ya recon stue
I didn't understand but it all makes sense now

Spaniard_King
30-05-2011, 09:03 PM
TD,

don't be fooled if your 2 stroke isn't blowing smoke.....start worrying as its going to cost yoiu shortly.

IMO no need to do anything at all except use good fuel and use the fuel up at least every 3 months, if possible start the engine and move the steering every month.

Not recommended to idle your engine for extended periods (5 mins or more) as in most cases it will lead to fouling spark plugs.

LittleSkipper
31-05-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the advice Garry!

Regards
Wayne.