PDA

View Full Version : Confirmation of motor height on 5.2 KC

Chris20984
25-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Before I go drilling a second set of holes in the pods on my Kevlacat :-[ i was hoping someone would confirm i am defently on the right track. I have the boat set up so the bottom of the glass hull is level, i then trim the motor so it too is level. Is this the correct was to get the measurement of 2 &3/4 ( 70 mm )

Cheers Chris. ;)

stue2
25-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Chris, what was wrong with the first set of holes?

kitty_cat
26-05-2011, 07:26 AM
where are you mate iam at loganlea and are happy for you to drop in and have a look measure mine have always been spot on 2 sets of motors and always have had full revs a great preformance

wayne

STUIE63
26-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Chris can you take a photo of the other end on the level . I just wonder are you measuring from the top of the level or the bottom ( at the hull end if you get my drift )

dan12345
26-05-2011, 05:11 PM
Chris can you take a photo of the other end on the level . I just wonder are you measuring from the top of the level or the bottom ( at the hull end if you get my drift )

thats what i was thinkning:)

Dean1
26-05-2011, 05:48 PM
It looks to me like the level is sitting on the skid on the trailer, which is the bottom of the hull. Looks like alls getting measured right they have to go up!

Chris20984
26-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Thats right Dean. I have a long flat peice of aluminium strap sitting level on the skids of the trailer which is also level. The motor is bolted on as high as it can go ! Looks like i will have to drill another set of holes in the pod 20mm higher to achieve the 70 mm required. ;)

Dean1
26-05-2011, 08:28 PM
You need to get urself a length of 2.4m angle ;) Email sent mate.

dan12345
27-05-2011, 03:19 PM
let us know how it turns out mate:)

cormorant
27-05-2011, 03:42 PM
I know it is great to mirror the set up of others boats but.....

Different props will allow different settings

The on water test and a photo of the boat WOT , normal load , and trimmed out is the true test and then if it gets unacceptable airation in your particular sea conditions. Take photos at WOT and see just where the motors cav plate is stiiting - that is the true test in my mind.

Can you take a photo side on and a bit to the rear that shows the complete pod as if it is not factory other people "factory settings" may not be perfect. If it is factory something is up? Sure there isn't another hole behind the motor bracket covered over by large washers ? ie some nong put in a lower hole when fitting the motor?

Are the right length motors on it? Measure the cav plate to underside hook of the motor bracket ( 20 inch , 25 inch?)

Is your boat standard weight etc etc? Heaps of extras in the back ( kill tanks batteries ?

Got 200m or rope and 50 or chain on a winch up front?

Gotta compare apples with apples in set ups and what works on water is the best setting.

What are your current performance , consumption numbers and revs at WOT?
Any handling isues or bad habits? Porpoising? etc

Best to record them so you know you have made a positive change.

Noelm
27-05-2011, 03:47 PM
cormorant is 100% spot on, the motors should not be set by measurements alone, they are a great starting point, but from then on, it is a boat by boat test, not two setups will be exactly the same, I was tempted to say this earlier on.

Mister
28-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Who said you need 70mm in the first place? What's you problem with the way it is?

Would they be mercs?

robothefisho
28-05-2011, 07:16 PM
If the motors are too low at the moment, please please don't drill the new holes only 20mm above the old ones. Drill them so you have no or one setting of overlap. Ie you can take it up more than 20mm.......

Finnatical
28-05-2011, 07:29 PM
What about manual jacking plates?

Might save drilling the pods and a lot cheaper than new pods if something goes wrong.

Just a thought.
Good luck with it.
Cheers,

stue2
29-05-2011, 09:03 PM
cormorant is 100% spot on, the motors should not be set by measurements alone, they are a great starting point, but from then on, it is a boat by boat test, not two setups will be exactly the same, I was tempted to say this earlier on.

Me too. I cant see how the holes could be 70 mm out. Better go the water test if you havent already done so

Dean1
30-05-2011, 09:08 AM
Me too. I cant see how the holes could be 70 mm out. Better go the water test if you havent already done soBecause he has an early model Kevlacat which has low pods from factory to accept 20 inch shaft motors. The later models have higher pods to accept 25 inch shafts. He has modified the pods ( made them higher) to now accept the 25 inch shafts.

It takes a bit of testing to get them to perform right, ive been through the same excersize with Yamahas but fortunatly i had the later pods. Ive found and many others with F 60's/5.2 kc's that 70mm between the cav plate and bottom of hull is the spot on height to sit. Suzukis may be different but ive always been lead to believe that if a pod is fitted ( which kevlacats all have) there is a measurment that relates to the cav plate/bottom of hull if its the same model hull regardless of what make of motor it is.

Its suprising what just 20mm can do to these boats with 60 4's ive been there believe me...