PDA

View Full Version : What size tinny?

fisho_83
24-05-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi All,
I'm currently looking to purchase my first boat http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/../yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/Original%20Smilies/grin.gif. I have narrowed it down to the Quintrex Hornet Trophy . I was originally looking to go for the 4m model (Approx $13500), but I am not sure if it will be too small. I will mainly use the boat for creek and estuary lure fishing, and I will only probably ever have 2 people on board. I am wondering if it is worth spending an extra 5-6 grand to go to the 4.4m size, saying that, it would probably be stretching the budget a bit too far!! I live in Mackay, and there are a few spots offshore that I would not mind hitting that are about 5km from shore. Would a 4m tinny be able to go that far safely in good weather? Any advice would be a great help!
CHEERS

thelump
24-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Mate if it was me I would be looking at a 4.5m or so tinny not a v nose punt. Will still get you up the creek with the added bonus of a trip offshore when conditions suit.
Good luck. I love shopping for boats.

neil_stessco
24-05-2011, 06:46 PM
Look past the hornet trophy mate you are to limited to where you can take them, for similar money i would go a 4.5 with a 50 or 60hp.

Skusto
24-05-2011, 06:59 PM
hi i would have a look at a 429 stacer rampage good price at the moment and they are a great all round hull i had 420 stacer seahorse years a go (which is the same hull ) with a 30 yamaha 3 cylinder 2 stroke on the back we used to go everywhere creeks bay and offshore out to deep tempest just a great handling boat for its size .

NAGG
24-05-2011, 07:01 PM
The Hornet is a great boat for fishing estuaries , impoundments , rivers - stable as ... specially for lurecasting .
As a bay , close inshore boat , except in good conditions they are hopeless - at best you'll get wet , worst you'll take water over the bow. You cannot anchor them in any swell .
I've had my 480 in some horrible conditions & while it has got me there & back .... its not a place for a V nose punt.

A top ender style boat is a much better choice as it allows for some inshore work & is still capable for getting into those tight spots for a cast .

4.5M is a hell of a lot more of a boat over a 4.2/4.3M boat - even though its only 20 or 30cm ...... specially with a wider beam

Chris

grammel
24-05-2011, 07:51 PM
High sides v bottom 4.2m any brand great all round first boat.

Squidlet
24-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Gday their mate,have a look at a second hand tinny as said before around the 4.5 mark,40-50 hp if ya get a bair hull the fit out is all yours casting deck, rear casting deck with all ya 2 fuel tanks under neath 2 seats and away ya go,room in tha middle for ya esky and so on, mate had one decked out like this and it worked a treat!
Have fun searching!
Cheers Squid

Mtx
24-05-2011, 08:08 PM
I have a Ally 4.45 SIOUX. Awesome boat all rounder

Daisy Burnett
24-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Yep 2nd hand boat for starters. You can get more boat and if manage to bang it into the ramp or rocks or get stuck on the odd sand bar (missus made me put that in) you wont break into tears scratching the new toy. Make your mistakes on something cheap and find out what you really want in a boat over time. Whatever you do have fun with it.

Cheers
Daisy

yamp
24-05-2011, 09:06 PM
I have a 4m hornet trophy with a 40 honda and I use it for the same use as you are looking at around mackay.I had a big beamy 4.45 side console ally craft before but found it hopeless for luring, catching to much wind and more of a hassle to launch by myself.I also think the ride in the hornet is better than the old side console. the 4m is a really good size to lure from and the tiller steer with power trim and tilt is worth the extra money,you can trim it right up for shallow water and make adjustment to get the nose into the chop if need be.cheers Yamp

deckie
24-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah agree with others...those things are just the new generation of catfish punts with paint. Great for still water but then you could just as easily buy an older solid v nose punt for diddly squat and do it up your way for flat water fishing. Same deal really.

Whynot get something with some freeboard and a real soft cushion for your arse...you wont feel like you;re about to trip overboard and wont crack your spine.
The Brooker Sea al (about 4.6m i think) that i was on recently was a nice alround tinnie...dories are a great sensible alternative and a few mods turn them into real good platforms that will punch well thru a few standing tide waves and chop on the way home.

I guess if its just a few lures in creeks 4m is fine. 4.5+m tho gives u options. Not much help sorry. ..get a glass rig and whack a keelguard on it ;D maybe a 445 and do her up ;D

thelump
25-05-2011, 07:38 AM
I have a Ally 4.45 SIOUX. Awesome boat all rounder

I had this boat also before i bought the Yalta (the opposite of MTX) They are a great solid roomy boat. See my avatar. You can catch anything in them.

STUIE63
25-05-2011, 08:54 AM
figure out what you want to do wit the boat if it is only lurecasting then go the hornet or an equivalent if it includes going outside then go a v nose.

Noelm
25-05-2011, 09:16 AM
not too sure second hand is the way to go in that size (unless you find a near new one) new tinnies in the 4-4.5M range are so cheap these days, an unpoainted one may not look flash, but you will never worry about scratches and so on, EVER, a 4+M V bottom will fit the bill perfectly, a mate of mine has got a 4.15 Horizon Angler? and it is a great boat, cost less that 10 grand, brand spanking new, mabe even look for a small console, for some reason centre consoles feel much "safer" in the ocean, maybe because you are standing and up higher or something.

krazyfisher
25-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I have had a 3.6m, 4.3 hornet, 4.55m, 5mtr, 5.4mtr,4m ,6.3m and now 5m all in mackay over the last 8-10 years and I think for what you want around here 4m is the right size, out of all the boats the 4m was the best. and the person that bought the 4m just a month ago loves it aswell.

Scott79
25-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Fisho
Try to get out in a few before you decide, if you have that luxury. Even a post on here might lure out some likely skippers for a day.

I am down at Yeppoon, so reasonably similar conditions, and I reckon a 4m Hornet will be too small - sure it will do the job in the creeks, but as a couple have said already, a bit small to head out the front.
I wouldn't even consider spending nearly $20K on the 440 version, no doubt there is more boat for your $, but I still think the V nose punt will provide too many limitations. You will probably find that once you start heading offshore you will actually want to go further than you first thought.
I would also recommend going new if you can, hard to put a price on the extra confidence you will have with it, especially as a first boat. Sure, you are going to give it a few knocks and bumps, it's inevitable, but as Noel has suggested the price gap between new and second hand in those sizes is often reasonably small anyway.

I had a quintrex 445 Dory with a 40 Yam 2 stroke as a first boat and I reckon they are worth a look. Nice and deep, wide and stable. A pretty basic tinny of course, but there's plenty of scope to modify / improve tinnys if you are even remotely handy, or know someone who is.

Scott.

Skusto
25-05-2011, 08:43 PM
I have had a 3.6m, 4.3 hornet, 4.55m, 5mtr, 5.4mtr,4m ,6.3m and now 5m all in mackay over the last 8-10 years and I think for what you want around here 4m is the right size, out of all the boats the 4m was the best. and the person that bought the 4m just a month ago loves it aswell.

yes i have to agree the 4 metre are a great size hull very stable for casting for creeks yet big enough to take offshore and in the bays put a 30 on the back and they are very economical to run also cheap to buy a great package at the moment is the 429 stacer 30hp yamaha trailer safety gear for $7990.and this is new .