PDA

View Full Version : Getting rid of Rust stains for a painted boat.

timddo
23-05-2011, 03:46 PM
As i haven't been using my boat for a few weeks the boat is showing signs of rust. What is the best way to remove rust stains from a painted aluminium boat.

P.S The rust stains was from grinding steel near the boat:-[

Blackened
23-05-2011, 03:48 PM
G'day

Tim, they may well polish out, just try that first, failing that use some granulated oxalic acid.

Dave

Pazz01
23-05-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't know if you can use it on a boat, but my car got a heap of steel shavings on it from a grinder (using a cutting wheel I think) and the whole car was like 80 grid sand paper.

I went to the local paint shop and got a 3M perfect it clay. http://www.shop3m.com/60980034767.html?WT.mc_ev=clickthrough&WT.mc_id=shop3m-AtoZ-clay-car-cleaner

Just get a spong (car spong) with really soapy water rub spong on area then use the clay bar in a back and forth motion (not round and round) and it pealed it all off. Nead the clay so you get a clean surface with each wipe. Worked an absolute treat.

Then you need to re-polish the whole area as it will take off all the polish overspray etc.

But first I'd check you can use it on an alloy boat. It was clear coat safe on my car.

Pazz

Roughasguts
23-05-2011, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah remember grinding steel next to me LX Torana. Ouch needed two new side windows after that what a mess when those little sparks melt in to the glass.

He he never do that again will you?

Cheers.

Blackened
23-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh yeah remember grinding steel next to me LX Torana. Ouch needed two new side windows after that what a mess when those little sparks melt in to the glass.

He he never do that again will you?

Cheers.

G'day

Even worse when some molten steel melts and infuses into your eyeball....

Dave

danryan75
23-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Just did my boat with the same prob on the weekend. A gOod cut and polish took it all away no dramas. Doesn't need to be too abrasive I just used polyglaze from super crap. Stay away from the kitten cutting compounds unless yor want to go for that unpainted tinny look

TimD
23-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Just buy a new fibreglass boat with an etec :thumbsup:

cheers tim :)