PDA

View Full Version : Can one set of lights do everything ? Advice please

deckie
23-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Some may already have this setup or similar. Some nice powerful LED flood/spots now flooding the market and very well priced. Can get 18W and up to 24W each and only draw maybe 1.5A each.

Trying to conquer a couple of nagging problems with a new setup....really need light overboard up against boat to help see fish/gaff/net, not as much in my own shadow at baitboard coming from decklight(s), not in the way of folding bimini/storage, dont want extra squid lights drawing more current if can avoid, want one 55W bow mounted HID pencil beam facing fwd and these should hopefully be great for spreading the light facing fwd.

Figure i can use plugs and also detach and drop them into rod holders at the back as squid lights if they arnt what i want.

Anyone done something similar ? advice ? got any better ideas for lights or fittings ?

thanx
Steve

stue2
23-05-2011, 11:47 AM
Hi Steve. do you have rod holders on the side of your bimini frame? Or even use the rocket launcher by mounting the lights on shaped poles that simply lift out of the rod holder .

There are very good sealed wireing plugs about the place that would mean no leads to worry about.

I use a small light from GenR8 www.genr8.net.au (http://www.genr8.net.au) that throws enough light for me to see well. Mine are mounted just inside the top corners or the bimini frame and arnt in the way and cant be knocked when folded.

These small lights when mounted on a pole would not take up much storage space. They are also very strong.

cheers, Stu

stue2
23-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Here is the one i have
www.genr8.net.au/product.php?part_id=745216 (http://www.genr8.net.au/product.php?part_id=745216)

deckie
23-05-2011, 07:00 PM
tx for gettin back stue. Nope no rod holders on the side of the frame but i like the thinking, maybe cut a gimble into base of the pole and jam them in and that'd get them out wider.
I plan on taking the wiring up inside the poles and having a plug to make them removeable. Thats unless i see or hear a better solution. I've always been lit up like a xmas tree with halogens but found getting light in the water right where u want it next to the boat a problem..hence the search for a bit of width.

These new lights would be stupidly bright i reckon...retina killing 36 W as decklights but v v happy with that ;D Probably overkill but truly hate dim light. I just want to get it closer to the hull on the outside. They wont be on that often anyway coz will be blue under gunwhale right around as the main source on a dimmer. That one looks damn solid gear.

Open to any and all idea's.

stue2
24-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Whitworths have a good selection of rail mounted adjustable rod holders that would work nicely. Probably in BCF and the other ones as well. Seen some absolute ripper rail mount solid stainless rod holders the other day but cant think what brand they were. I can try to find out.

Cheers, Stu

deckie
24-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Damn good idea stue cheers, Might hunt around for a couple. It'd certainly do the same job and probably a damn sight easier than my silly plan.
Got a habit of thinking of the hardest solution first ;D
Steve

stue2
24-05-2011, 10:32 AM
And you could use them as rod holders occasionally;D

Seriously though, they are made by Hook'em and are real good stuff.
There are some mounting short outriggers out of them.

Cheers, Stu