PDA

View Full Version : 1977 Johnson 35hp Trouble.

mickjbuist
22-05-2011, 06:52 PM
Hello everyone,

I was out in the bay today with no troubles until i started up my engine to head back when i lost speed and the motor started reving out, once i dropped back the throttle the boat started to move again. I managed to make it back home and started to inspect the main drive gears etc.

I have had a mate in the past who had a similar problem and it turned out the be the prop, which has the worn bush.

What i want to know though is if anyone has had a similar problem and fixed it with replacing the prop. What I dont want to hear is that the main drive gears have been stripped and need replacing.

Also, is that the reason for the bush to spin in the prop to save damage to the gears?

Thanks everyone.

captain rednut
22-05-2011, 07:48 PM
easy test to eliminate, whilst the engine is (not running) put it in gear and try to turn the prop, it should be very hard to turn?? if it spins easy then remove the prop and look inside the prop you should see melted rubber?? and finally check the gearbox oil which is the large flatblade screw on the very lower part of the gearbox, and if the oil is clean or black with no chunky bits refer back to step1
cheers cr

captain rednut
22-05-2011, 07:50 PM
and also if the prop has a melted bush its generally because your engine is running very hot (overheating) ???
cheers cr

Blusta
22-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Could be the rubber bush, inside the prop, which is meant to protect the hard gears has been compromised; hit a a sand bar etc and as such is ok at get home slighty above idle revs it will hold the torque but on higher revs slips because it has split/ fractured and needs to be rebushed

mickjbuist
22-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Is it worth getting my current one rebushed or getting a new/used one?

Does anyone have some rough prices?

Steeler
22-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Grab a new Solas 4 blader Amita from US for just over hundred inc delivery.

mickjbuist
23-05-2011, 05:45 PM
Grab a new Solas 4 blader Amita from US for just over hundred inc delivery.

Do you have the website?