PDA

View Full Version : free rusted brake disk/pads

datamile
22-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Any easy/ quick way to do this ? Not moved the boat for a few months, and now its dragged the wheels across the grass.

Dan5
22-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Hammer.........penetrene..........hammer.......... penetrene.......you get the idea.

ifishcq1
22-05-2011, 02:52 PM
I did mine today and as Dan5 said hammer first then penetrene
I had both discs swollen to half as thick again as they should be and they cleaned up in one solid all over hammering
the tip is to do the outside top edge first and turn the hub to make it easier to get to the rest as you turn
new pads are around $40 both wheels and the job is done
cheers

datamile
22-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Thanks. Got them free. Pads looked knackered but the brakes were never really any good.

Discs are a bit laminated on the faces, and at some point I do need to get the boat off the trailer for a few days, and replaces the pads and cables. Given the current boat use, I might sell it before that happens. Too much mum and dad sports taxi every weekend.

Argle
22-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Try leaving the hand brake off when the boat is parked. Just chock the wheels with bricks/timber whatnot. I wash the trailer after each use and spray the discs with inox then park the trailer with chocks - never had a problem with the pads seizing.

cheers
Scott

captain rednut
22-05-2011, 07:26 PM
hey argle have you had trouble with the inox smoking like hell the next time you tow it????? i did it once and i shat and thought the boat was on fire??
cheers cr

Spaniard_King
22-05-2011, 08:02 PM
I Inox mine as well.. no problem with smokin them.. CR sure you don't have a stuck calliper??

They do tend to slip a bit for the first few brake hits but it' saves heaps in maintenance time.

Insurance companies love people with rusty brakes.

trueblue
22-05-2011, 09:23 PM
yep, oil the discs up and burn it off first few brake applications

check the caliper isn't seized - thats the usual cause of trailerbrake heating, and really common.

I strip my calipers about 4 times a year and regrease the slide pin etc

datamile
22-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Used to have to do that with the bike, but the boat has generally been ok.

So where do I find new disc, and how do I identify them if the old ones crumble. Is the trailer brand a clue, or will it be on the calliper somewhere.

Guess the next item will be on the brake cable type.

Been a damp old year for the brakes, but I used to have a car that with brakes that would stick after 2 weeks.

grammel
23-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Try trailer world at springwood. they were very helpful when i rebuilt mine.They are on logan road at underwood.

Argle
23-05-2011, 02:52 PM
hey argle have you had trouble with the inox smoking like hell the next time you tow it????? i did it once and i shat and thought the boat was on fire??
cheers cr

No mate no trouble at all with that. I have had experience with trailer brakes catching fire though....not a fun experience I must say.

Cheers

2 weis
23-05-2011, 06:09 PM
email to trailer manufacturer to get type of hub ie holden or ford etc
i just replaced hubs and bearings $80.00 each side pads $32.00 per side
and cable $13.00 all from supercheap but bcf was same price
may not be best quality available but i think value for money
all bits to suit ht pattern with slimline ford bearings
if i can help any more let me know
brian