PDA

View Full Version : where to get a new Perspex windscreen

Jabba_
22-05-2011, 01:02 PM
I had a moment on the Pin bar this morning.. It was real messy with the out going tide... A nice sized wave broke over the front off the boat and crack the windscreen... Does anyone know off a place on the gold coast that can custom fit curved perspex windscreens.

Other then a cracked windscreen the boat is fine, hardly any water in the boat as I hit the throttle hard and punched through.... But the new deckie who has never crossed the pin before absolutely crapped himself, and a bit shaky for a while, the look on his face was priceless...

Dan5
22-05-2011, 01:29 PM
Mate have a look at changing it to lexan instead of perspex.

Dan

Jabba_
22-05-2011, 01:46 PM
Where do I go to get lexan?

DAN-SK
22-05-2011, 01:47 PM
think there is a place on brisbane road labrador next to the santa shop that does that

Jabba_
22-05-2011, 01:51 PM
Yeah I know the place.. But I don't think they will curve the Perspex or lexan..

Dan5
22-05-2011, 02:12 PM
I'm in Darwin Jabba so i can't help on the place where you will get it from......A mate has had a Lexan spray shield on his centre console up here for around 5 years now.......i helped fit it for him........it is UV resistant and lasts longer than perspex and looks clearer aswell.

We bent it with a normal old heat gun......but that was fairly simple just 2 bends at 90deg......but i can't see why you couldn't curve/form your shape in some.

Dan

dan12345
22-05-2011, 03:29 PM
hey mate there is a mob at yatla that do boat windscreens an nothing elese but cant think of thier name,ill try look it up for you but somone on here might know them

dan12345
22-05-2011, 03:32 PM
found em;D blue water windscreens ph 07 33827883 unit 20-42 burnside rd yatala qld 4207

Jabba_
22-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks heaps Dan, I'll be calling them first thing monday morning

Swanie1975
22-05-2011, 04:54 PM
hi jabba, sounds like a bit of fun on the bar, espec. with a green deckie lol!

i will be interested to see how much the screen is as i need some work done on my haines 550br with a curved walkthru screen (cracks starting:( ). there is a guy on the goldy who made up some windscreen extensions for me a while back. good work and good price too. i got onto him thru the outboard wreckers (now get wet boating) in ashmore - they should still have his no. and he was mobile as well. did u get any fish after all that?

cheers ryan

Jabba_
22-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Thanks Swanie, I chase that lead up.. Yeah it was fun, I love crossing the pin when its breaking, and the look on the deckie's face was though he was about to die,, It's not right, but I cant stop laughing about it...

Only had one solid hook up, and it peeled off heaps off line.. I had to climb over the front off the boat to get the line off the bow sprit, then I handed the rod to the deckie and thats when it went very bad... He angled the rod 180deg away from the fish and at the same time the fish took off,,,,,,, then ping,,,, line snapped.. I was mortified as I had been on this fish for quiet a while... The newby had the rod in his hands for all off 10 seconds

oldboot
22-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Any decent plastic fabricator should be able to manage the job, and give you the choice of acrillic or polycarbonate.

They both have their advantages and go brittle with age.

cheers

Chimo
22-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Hi Jabba

Why don't you just fit a Seafarer Victory safety glass screen on it?

At least that way you could forget brittle and scratching issues and be able to pop thru waves without the wet lap or other surprises.

A call to the Haines factory on Monday may be another way to go.

Cheers
Chimo

BM
22-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Jabba,

Having done a few windscreens for customers over the years I wondered whether there was a better alternative to acrylic sheet (Perspex being one brand of acrylic).

I spoke to my sister who was an engineer for GE Plastics here in Melbourne for 20 yrs. Plastics, how to mould it, how to make it, how to bake it, bend it, fold it, cut it, eat it and everything else known to man about the stuff, in particular Lexan, was her bag.

I asked about using Lexan (just a brand name for polycarbonate sheet) for boat windscreens as it bends more easily through tight radiuses etc and seemed the logical choice.

After some technical jargon relating to polycarb and acrylic she said stick with acrylic as the best option. Reason being was that the UV stabilisers in polycarb are not as good as acrylic and the scratch resistant coating on polycarb is not as good as acrylic.

Final word was that acrylic is more durable in the long term than polycarb and more suited to boat windscreens.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the radius on your screen wouldn't require heat bending.

Cheers

Jabba_
23-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Hi Jabba

Why don't you just fit a Seafarer Victory safety glass screen on it?

At least that way you could forget brittle and scratching issues and be able to pop thru waves without the wet lap or other surprises.

A call to the Haines factory on Monday may be another way to go.

Cheers
Chimo
I would love too chimo, but I think the profile off the victory windsscreen is a bit different to the vermont. Also safety glass is going to cost a lot more, which I can not afford at the moment. I will still call Haines group and compare there prices.

Smithy
25-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Picked up all the original paperwork for my boat off Reelax yesterday and on the first boat they used a mob called AJ plastics, 18 Pedder St Albion and the second one which was glass they used Taylor-Sandbrook Pty Ltd, PO Box 1000, 43 Randall St, Slacks Ck for a 5 piece one.

tropicrows
25-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Got mine done at "blue water windscreens". They did a great job, cost $450 by memory.

REELWORK
25-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Hi Mate. Just vhad a new windscreen just like you are chasing fitted by "Sailfish Marine Windows and Hatches". His name is Paul Preston and can be contacted on 0409530097 or 33939830 or www.boatwindscreens.com (http://www.boatwindscreens.com) He is located in Tingalpa, Brisbane. Would highly reccommend him.

Jabba_
25-05-2011, 03:24 PM
Thanks for all your help guys..

So far I have spoken with all the referred companies on page one, I also chased up the Hains Group, who were a great help..

I had quotes ranging from $200 to $500 just for the Acrylic screen and I install, which would be easy enough... But as 2 off the operators mentioned, I may not be able to remove the screen due to the stainless screws and Aluminium window frame corroding to one another.. I was told if that is the case and whole new windscreen would be needed and the frame would be damaged trying to remove the screws.. Price went up to $800 to $1000... And I am sure once they see the amount off curves that are in the seafarer screen the price will rise a bit..

I then contacted Hains Group and they put me onto the original windscreen manufacture (ALFAB) for Seafarer when Lindsay on the company.. A complete screen, original shape for $1265 for Glass $1061 for acrylic... That's cool, cause Im going to put it through insurance and will cost me $500 for the access... Best bit is because it is original, my clears will still fit..

Here is a pic off the crack
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/jabba1/5fa293a3.jpg

albey
25-05-2011, 03:53 PM
There is also Sailfish Marine windows and hatches at Wakerley/Tingalpa.We use them quite a lot and find them reasonable.
Ph 33939830

albey
25-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Just noticed I duplicated advice from REELWORK-sorry bout that.But he is good