PDA

View Full Version : Saturday 21st May - Offshore Moreton

Bottombasher101
22-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Went out yesterday through south passage with a couple of the boys for a day trip.
Ocean was not pleasant and the bar was a little bit to be desired but all and all not too bad of a day.
Ended up coming back with 10 pearlies, 2 squire, 5 parrot and a cod.
Average pearlie size was around 2 kg so they were really nice fish. Hit a patch and basically stayed on it for most of the morning.
Caught my personal best on a whole squid, weighing in at 4.5kg....was pretty damn happy with that! Sharky tried to take a bite out of him on the retrieve but luckily landed him with only a few teeth marks and not many scales...
Was hoping to head out and try for an amberjack but with the ocean as it was, rain looming and a couple of the crew feeling less then optimal we came home...all in all almost had 20 fish for the day so would call it a success...Though was kind of odd we didn't get any decent snapper..the same mark 2 weeks ago produced no pearlies and was full of snapper.
Fresh whole squid is the bait though, 14 of the fish in the boat were produced on it.

Tunzafun
22-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Nice haul mate. Yep, same mark, different day, different fish....

RC

DRAGMAN
22-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Sounds like a good day all round for the boys. Thanks for the report.

scoota
22-05-2011, 09:17 PM
20 fish for the effort is a good day out..

Pearly with a few teeth marks and scales missing generally means a big AJ or alikes has had a go as sharks normally leave a head or nothing...

Could be wrong but there has been some big AJ,s and Samson around...

Scoota...

Bottombasher101
23-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Yeah I was thinking that Scoota, I was going along the lines of a big cod because the pearlie was a 4kg monster...didn't really know whether a sampson/amberjack would be able to fit it in its mouth but I spose a 40 kg amber has a big mouth! Tried jigging for ambers but was so rough I couldn't get to the marks I wanted!