PDA

View Full Version : Sharkcat Repower

Alexzed
21-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Hi People

I have a Seamaster Sharkcat with 115 HP Johnsons (1998) Ocean Runners in great condition but after something new and probably 4 stroke....looking at the Suzuki 90 or if I have to go with 2 stroke then 115 Mercury Optimax....weight is an issue at the rear but the boat is right up there in weight herself....around 1800kg......need some assistance to choose...basically if I go with the smaller HP will it disappoint me or have they come a long way since 1998, such that with the right prop I would barely notice the difference (except for the quietness and fuel bill that is!!)

Look forward to hearing people

Alex

Chimo
21-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Hey Alex

How many hrs on your motors?

I've got two similar ones and am finding it hard to kill em!

Cheers
Chimo

Alexzed
21-05-2011, 02:15 PM
Dont know how many hours.....the condition inside and out would suggest not too many.....spent the last few years with very little use......I use her in the gulf around Adelaide and want some more certainty for the longer trips re: fuel capacity....she holds 230 litres combined, but they do like a drink!!!!

Alexzed
21-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Hi Chimo

Out of interest how big is your craft and what kind of mileage do you get out of the motors....say 3500 rpm
Alex

Alexzed
21-05-2011, 02:55 PM
can anyone tell me which is the lightest 4 stroke in the 90 hp range and what kind of economy they are likely to get.....tried a bit of research and get slightly different results....would be good to go to a site where they do side by side comparisons between say 3 or 4....the manufacturer websites don't really inspire confidence as far as objectivity is concerned.....always going to be difficult to relate to how they are going to go on a Cat anyway....let alone one with the weight of mine

Jarrah Jack
21-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Give Noelm a PM, he just put some Zuk 90's on his cat so he should be able to give you a few figures. He researched a few different motors in the buying process I think.

oldie
21-05-2011, 07:52 PM
can anyone tell me which is the lightest 4 stroke in the 90 hp range and what kind of economy they are likely to get.....tried a bit of research and get slightly different results....would be good to go to a site where they do side by side comparisons between say 3 or 4....the manufacturer websites don't really inspire confidence as far as objectivity is concerned.....always going to be difficult to relate to how they are going to go on a Cat anyway....let alone one with the weight of mine

yeah mate pretty sure the New Suzi A Series 90HP is the lightest in its class should be lighter than the otpi thats for sure, they swing a big prop the Suzi so plenty of low down torque for a big cat, I know a guy with a 21 Kevlacat with twin 90HP Suzi (07 mods) he loves the outfit

John Buoy
21-05-2011, 09:36 PM
If interested pm me and i will put you onto Joe who has repowered with 90etecs
on his seamaster cat.
Happy with economy figures but disappointed with top end speed max 30knots
reckon the 115 Optis are a better alternative!!
Regards frank ;)

julian1
21-05-2011, 10:31 PM
on his seamaster cat.
Regards frank ;)

i reckon the 90 Suzuki will surprise you for economy and grunt andwork well on a cat as your swinging a larger diameter prop. the other option would be the Etec 115 (V4) they will have similar grunt to your existing set up

Noelm
22-05-2011, 08:23 AM
I can vouch for the 90HP Suzukies on an 18' cat, if you are really keen and don't mind a bit of travel, between a couple of members here, you could organise a trip in the same boat as yours with the 90 e-tecs, and me with 90 Suzukies, it is a lot of money and you want to make the right choice.

Alexzed
22-05-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone...some great feedback

Alexzed
22-05-2011, 01:10 PM
on his seamaster cat.
Regards frank ;)

Thanks John

I have spoken to Joe before and he did mention that issue with disappointment

Alexzed
23-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Hey Alex

How many hrs on your motors?

I've got two similar ones and am finding it hard to kill em!

Cheers
Chimo

Hi chimo
Thanks for all your info, very much appreciated especially info about lifting the motors...that economy that you mentioned is that the combined use

Thanks again

Alex

Jerk n Wined
23-05-2011, 08:11 PM
Hey Mate

I have the 2100 kevlacat with 2 x 2008 90hp etecs. I get 1.6ltrs/nm (combined). I sit on 4100 revs and cruise 26.5 knots, flat out does just over 34knots. very good engines and run like a dream. People really notice how quite the engines are at cruising speed, you can talk normaly to each other without shouting at all. Torque is unreal going over swell etc. Hope this helps

I know the suzi four strokes in the 90hp range are getting lighter and faster which they needed bad. Another mate has the new 90's and get 10lrts/hr (combined) not sure of the finer details though. You dont get the accurate info when you work things out /hr.
115hp are an over kill and yes they would suck the juice especially i paid $1.55/ltr other day.
Good luck with that project.........Chris